froggie

100% absorbable

Hello guys,

Was looking for: "100% absorbable calcium" and "most absorbable forms of calcium" with google.

found this: http://www.totallycalcium.com/pr/r040309.html

100% absorbable does sound pretty good, doesn't it?

Also, the less acidic you are the less you will probably also use stored calcium up to bind with the acids, which will probably later get excreted from the blood to the urine or excrement? Also i think a lot of fiber is also not necessary, only necessary if you eat things which leave things behind (excuse the vagueness, it's not scientific, it's just a thought and feeling ;)

How about taking foods to yourself which only enhance you and never put strain on you or harm you ?

Good topic. :) I'm going to subscribe myself to it also and see what things i may be able to add i the future.

edit:

Apparently the absorbability of milk calcium is 21 to 26%

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/47/1/93

Edited by froggie

I think it is scam like most vitamin supplements.

People have been eating well without supplements for thousands of years.

There is not going to be a cure all pill, but they are all sold like one.

If you don't want cancer then limit your exposure to roads and gasoline. Gasoline has very strong carcinogens and countries with the most developed roadways and highest gas consumption have the highest cancer rates.

froggie,

be careful about info on any site that is selling you products. Look for points of viw that go against what they are saying on that sire, then compare and contrast. I always consider "information" from merchant sites to be extremely suspect. It doesn't mean it is necessarily wrong, but you really need to look somewhere else to find out the truth.

Good luck.

yes, i understand there may be a huge gap between marketing and reality.

but i'll still try to find the truth ;)

it's really good to add that note of information though, so thanks for adding that.

now for some more findings ... : (while still keeping in mind the previous warnings) :)

the high and low absorbability of vitamin B12 (hydroxocobalamin versus cyanocobalamin)

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroxocobalamin

Edited by froggie

I tend to agree with 11:33 and Josh and I have here some resources you might find useful.

Karen said that calc fluor and calc phos help with calcium deficiency.

thread 1

Re. calcium, it's an individual matter.. lack of calcium in the tooth enamel doesn't always mean there's lack of calcium coming in - some people have adequate calcium but are not metabolizing it well, and in that case you don't want to just increase calcium intake and have it be deposited in the wrong places, like dental plaque.

Tissue salts can help the body to metabolize minerals better - for calcium, Calc phos and Calc fluor in particular. Also eating to balance your metabolic type - fast oxidizers can use more calcium than slow oxidizers.

-Karen

thread 2

Tissue salts like Calc Fluor can be used on a daily basis, and they're somewhat nutritive even though they're in "homeopathic" potency. They're very low potency (3x or 6x usually) so they still contain some miniscule amount of material substance and contribute to nutrition at the cellular level. They're not acting purely on the energetic level as higher potency homeopathics are. So they aren't used to target a disease entity in a one-off kind of way.

Calc Fluor strengthens bones, joints and teeth (in addition to Calc Phos), and can be used on a nutritive basis, to remedy a functional deficiency which is different from a strictly quantitative deficiency. Each tissue salt has an affinity for a different type of cell/tissue and promotes that particular function.

Now here are some useful databases:

1- USDA official online database

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=17477

click on the blue "w" button after calcium.

the same database can be download as a spreadsheet, see this link for instructions:

http://www.vegsource.com/harris/food_comp.htm

here is a screen shot from the downloaded database:

2419cdd15c.gif

2- Dr. Duke's Phytochemical and Ethnobotanical Databases

http://www.ars-grin.gov/duke/highchem.html

input calcium or any other nutrient to get the results. here is a screen shot:

e690475966.gif

3- http://www.nutritiondata.com/

hope this helps,

DE

I think it is scam like most vitamin supplements.

People have been eating well without supplements for thousands of years.

There is not going to be a cure all pill, but they are all sold like one.

If you don't want cancer then limit your exposure to roads and gasoline. Gasoline has very strong carcinogens and countries with the most developed roadways and highest gas consumption have the highest cancer rates.

Well-said.

You don't need multi vitamins if you eat a diverse and mostly plant diet. I repeat, you do not need multivitamins.

Additionally, you get plenty of Calcium & Vit. D if you spend at least 20 minutes out in the sun a day. Research I've seen shows that the countries with the highest Calcium intake have the highest rates of hip and bone fractures.

Try blend broccoli and spinach with fruits and raw honey to make some delicious shakes.

No need for supplements.

I've found secret to funky green veggie shakes is adding avocado (which work real well in 'normal' shakes too) and frozen bananas. They both add creamyness and some sweetness.

Michael

It took 20 minutes, but I searched spinach shake <nothing> then spinach and was able to dig up a very old post I had about perfecting the spinach shake; here it is:

Working on perfecting the spinach milk shake. Why you ask? Fame!! Fortune!! Good health!!!

Yesterday the results were less then perfect, an icy thick green mess. I used frozen organic spinach (Trader Joes), ice, 2% milk, plain kefir yogurt, 1/2 banana and a touch of vanilla. It wouldn't mix, I had to keep jamming it down. I got an uneven green blob, that tasted like frozen gelatinous spinach.

Today more banana, no ice, more milk, less spinach. Pretty good. Very healthy too. Could use a bit more blending to smooth it out. Its very milk shaky. The spinach works fine. Strangely it tastes sweet, though the only sweetener is the banana. I'll bet half an avocado would turn it from good to great. Would make it even healthier too.

Perhaps the weak spot is the 2% milk. It does add to the creaminess of the recipie. I could use less with the avocado, maybe add in a bit of water so it will spin. The milk does add protein.

Perhaps the weak spot is the 2% milk.

Try soy milk in the shake, you will not notice any difference. It is better assimilate especially by those with AII blood group. Those with BIII should stay with the cow milk though.

Try soy milk in the shake, you will not notice any difference. It is better assimilate especially by those with AII blood group. Those with BIII should stay with the cow milk though.

Soy is the devil's work. A myth perpetuated on mostly natural food shoppers and now on consumers as a whole by agri-companies like Monsanto and Northrup King.

And this idea that we don't need vitamins is total rubbish. I have known too many nutritionist and naturopaths that would whole-heartedly disagree.

It is nice to think that we can get everything we need from the food we eat but the ground is over-used. It is very depleted. Even organic farming still doesn't generate the nutrition in fruits and vegetables that was available even 50 years ago.

Most people should absolutely be taking supplements. A person should not live on them but there are very few people who wouldn't benefit from them.

I know it sounds very Taoist to believe that nature can produce what are bodies need and it can. But that requires a much more removed existence than what most can have currently. Most of us have so much pulled from our bodies due to over-exertion, stress and our environmental factors.

Unless you retreat from society supplements are must. And keep in mind there are supplements and then there are supplements. I tend to only trust a few brands from natural food stores such as the coops or Whole Foods.

Soy is the devil's work. A myth perpetuated on mostly natural food shoppers and now on consumers as a whole by agri-companies like Monsanto and Northrup King.

And this idea that we don't need vitamins is total rubbish. I have known too many nutritionist and naturopaths that would whole-heartedly disagree.

It is nice to think that we can get everything we need from the food we eat but the ground is over-used. It is very depleted. Even organic farming still doesn't generate the nutrition in fruits and vegetables that was available even 50 years ago.

Most people should absolutely be taking supplements. A person should not live on them but there are very few people who wouldn't benefit from them.

I know it sounds very Taoist to believe that nature can produce what are bodies need and it can. But that requires a much more removed existence than what most can have currently. Most of us have so much pulled from our bodies due to over-exertion, stress and our environmental factors.

Unless you retreat from society supplements are must. And keep in mind there are supplements and then there are supplements. I tend to only trust a few brands from natural food stores such as the coops or Whole Foods.

Have to agree wholeheartedly with Ryan T. - if the American food supply wasn't so nutritionally depleted, maybe we could get by without vitamins. But the topsoil is worn out, and most of the fruit and veggies are picked too soon. If you're a meat eater, you have to buy organic because the meat supply is almost toxic. A simple multi-vitamin is a very sound policy unless you have access to Oprah's food supply. But, ultimately, jacking up your chi flow will do more for you than drastic changes in diet.

I've been thinking about posting my whole supplement regimen here soon. Stay tuned. :D

I have been taking vitamin D softgels for about 9 months now, about 1000-2000 IU daily. I sleep better, don't grind my teeth at night, am calmer, and have less problems with tooth sensitivity.

Having said that, it's definitely possible to overdo supplements, particularly the fat-soluble vitamins. Quick rules of thumb--

1. don't supplement vitamin E. Have some unrefined palm oil or an avocado.

2. make sure your supplements work. Try different brands and types, and experiment.

3. If you're taking fat-soluble vitamins then get tested. I was taking up to 10,000 IU daily of vitamin D, and my blood levels almost exceeded the safe range. This is true for both vitamins A & D.

4. Stay away from goji, acai, green superfoods, etc. Those are gimmicks. There are a few supplements out there (besides the basic vitamins and minerals) that seem to be pretty good. like blue-green algae, but, in general, be cautious with the new/weird/exotic stuff. This goes double for Chinese and Hindu herbs.

5. Fresh/natural/unprocessed is generally better. I take Pascalite instead of a magnesium or trace mineral supplement. I also take bone meal instead of a calcium supplement, and they work better and are more absorbable than chemically-processed versions, particularly the bone meal.

6. If you're taking one particular vitamin/mineral, please be aware of what counters what. Calcium blocks/opposes/balances magnesium and sodium, and vice versa. Potassium and sodium block each other. Vitamins A and D balance each other. Etc. Know which foods contain which vitamins and minerals, and how much. Also, know which ones are actually absorbable. Beans/legumes have all kinds of mineral content, but they are not to any degree in an absorbable form. Many plant foods have vitamin A, but it's not necessarily absorbable. Some is, though, particularly in unrefined palm oil.

7. Educate yourself thoroughly on the subject. www.westonaprice.org is probably the best resource out there. It's not the only one, but it's very good.

8. Moderation. Seriously.

9. Seriously, moderation.

10. Common sense.

11. Moderation. I'm not joking. :)

12. Ask me. I'm a regular font of dietary knowledge, and I am always willing to point you to a better expert if I don't know the answer to your question.

4. Stay away from goji, acai, green superfoods, etc. Those are gimmicks. There are a few supplements out there (besides the basic vitamins and minerals) that seem to be pretty good. like blue-green algae, but, in general, be cautious with the new/weird/exotic stuff. This goes double for Chinese and Hindu herbs.

Very good points. But whats the reason behind number 4? "Stay away from greens"??? :blink:

Very good points. But whats the reason behind number 4? "Stay away from greens"??? :blink:

Stay away from those green powders that you can buy, where they juice a bunch of greens and they dry the juice and sell it. Those are no good. I would never advise you to stay away from fresh, raw (or very lightly steamed) greens. I love to eat raw spinach from time to time, as well as dark green leaf lettuce, and even a little raw kale every once in a while. It's important, though, that your plant foods have high nutrition content. You can check that with a Brix meter (refractometer). Take a look at www.crossroads.ws for more information on Brix. I always Brix my fruit. I don't eat low Brix fruit anymore. I definitely notice a difference in my health from that alone.

i think the lecithin is soy is pretty good, and the amount of protein in this bean.

not sure how i feel about the phyto-estrogens in it. ...probably not such a great thing if you eat it daily or 'a lot'.

am i missing something else about it? good or bad (i.e. not so good depending upon other things) ;)

I would never advise you to stay away from fresh, raw (or very lightly steamed) greens.

Oh I knew thats not what you meant...

But why is green "powders that you can buy" no good?

Stay away from those green powders that you can buy, where they juice a bunch of greens and they dry the juice and sell it. Those are no good. I would never advise you to stay away from fresh, raw (or very lightly steamed) greens. I love to eat raw spinach from time to time, as well as dark green leaf lettuce, and even a little raw kale every once in a while. It's important, though, that your plant foods have high nutrition content. You can check that with a Brix meter (refractometer). Take a look at www.crossroads.ws for more information on Brix. I always Brix my fruit. I don't eat low Brix fruit anymore. I definitely notice a difference in my health from that alone.

That's great.

I couldn't figure out from that particular site what the refractometer actually measures though.

I'm also wondering if there is a mailinglist or something like that about this and other things.

Can you find such refractometers on ebay or so? What can you be expected to pay for a simple but quality one?

Does it have anything to do with biophotons? That's another thing i have been able to read another time ago.

I think 'happy plants'/healthy plants are probably biologically grown plants, where everything is fed back into the ground. (leafs and so on) And taking care of varieties, you know, like inbreeding is not good for humans it's probably not good for plants either, let them have some good clean 'fun', etc. ;)

I would prefer fresh squeezed (slow juiced) wheat grass over powdered wheat grass juice.

However the powder could be used as an alternative (i.e. is handy) for when you don't have the time (i.e. don't want to make the time / someone else is forcing you psychologically and/or otherwise to not take enough time for yourself and important things) to do things like juice your own, plant a lot of plants yourself (and everyone doing the same), know your food and prepare your own food (or together with others that you like or may like) ;)

And also for example to grow it in wintertime you would have to have a housing with some room do do that and use full spectrum lighting and good insulation i think. (and preferably generate the electricity from wind and alternative energy generators, to be really autonomous with it.)

slow juiced apparently is many times better, it keeps much longer and it still has (important!) enzymes, has more nutrients left than 'fast juiced', and so on.

some more nice info here: http://www.consciousmedianetwork.com/members/cgerson.htm

Edited by froggie

It's important, though, that your plant foods have high nutrition content. You can check that with a Brix meter (refractometer). Take a look at www.crossroads.ws for more information on Brix. I always Brix my fruit. I don't eat low Brix fruit anymore. I definitely notice a difference in my health from that alone.

I would love to see the reading of fresh pressed wheatgrass

Oh I knew thats not what you meant...

But why is green "powders that you can buy" no good?

They're not as bad as dried fruit...but you're much better off eating fresh greens. Try it both ways, and see what it does to your health. Humans aren't really leaf-eaters anyway. We are designed mainly for fruit and meat. Some people do well on fish and shellfish, as well. We're not designed to get most of our nutrition from greens. Give some of the green powders a try, though, if you want. Test their effects on you carefully, make sure you check to see what they do to your aerobic stamina. I don't recommend them.

That's great.

I couldn't figure out from that particular site what the refractometer actually measures though.

I'm also wondering if there is a mailinglist or something like that about this and other things.

Can you find such refractometers on ebay or so? What can you be expected to pay for a simple but quality one?

Does it have anything to do with biophotons? That's another thing i have been able to read another time ago.

I think 'happy plants'/healthy plants are probably biologically grown plants, where everything is fed back into the ground. (leafs and so on) And taking care of varieties, you know, like inbreeding is not good for humans it's probably not good for plants either, let them have some good clean 'fun', etc. ;)

I would prefer fresh squeezed (slow juiced) wheat grass over powdered wheat grass juice.

However the powder could be used as an alternative (i.e. is handy) for when you don't have the time (i.e. don't want to make the time / someone else is forcing you psychologically and/or otherwise to not take enough time for yourself and important things) to do things like juice your own, plant a lot of plants yourself (and everyone doing the same), know your food and prepare your own food (or together with others that you like or may like) ;)

And also for example to grow it in wintertime you would have to have a housing with some room do do that and use full spectrum lighting and good insulation i think. (and preferably generate the electricity from wind and alternative energy generators, to be really autonomous with it.)

slow juiced apparently is many times better, it keeps much longer and it still has (important!) enzymes, has more nutrients left than 'fast juiced', and so on.

some more nice info here: http://www.consciousmedianetwork.com/members/cgerson.htm

Slow juiced definitely keeps better, from what I hear. I really think you'd be better off eating some spinach or kale or leaf lettuce than eating a green powder, but, like I said above, test it all out. Get back to us with your results. I'm curious.

Brix meters are very cheap, I have bought 2 on ebay for about $30-$40 each. There are two different Yahoo Brix groups, just do a search for "Brix" in the yahoo groups search.

The refractometer actually measures the bending of the light going through the juice. The more minerals/sugars/etc. that are dissolved in the juice, the more the light bends. Sugar water can Brix as high as 32, but the measure line is razor-sharp. When calcium, magnesium, etc. are present in the juice, the measure line will be much fuzzier. Sometimes I'll get a piece of fruit that brixes high, but has a sharp line. That means it doesn't have much mineral content. Some fruits always have more minerals than others. Mangoes are usually low in minerals, while cherimoyas are much higher. You can see that by the fuzziness of the measure line.

I'm not too familiar with biophotons. Tell me more, if you like.

The healthiest, highest Brix plants are ones that

1. Have a lot of minerals available to them during growing

2. Can uptake and use those minerals

You are right that inbreeding is dangerous to plants, but it's mainly because they are much more vulnerable to infectious diseases when inbred. You can have an EXTREMELY healthy inbred plant, but it is probably more vulnerable to infectious disease, if you are using the same variety as thousands of other growers. If you inbreed your own plants, starting with a wild variety, there is less chance of a problem. :)

It's actually not that hard to grow your own wheatgrass in cold weather, you can grow it in your house next to a window. I can tell you how to make it extra healthy, that's a whole other topic.

I would love to see the reading of fresh pressed wheatgrass

It totally depends on the quality of the grass itself. That's true with any plant.

Give some of the green powders a try, though, if you want. Test their effects on you carefully, make sure you check to see what they do to your aerobic stamina. I don't recommend them.

Ive been eating green powders for years :D I totally recommend them! Regarding my aerobic stamina I have not seen any decline what so ever. If anything, it has become better. I have never heard of any negative effects of green powders.

hahaha, this claim is just as bad as Procurators infamous: "water is bad for you"!!! :D

All I'm saying is, apply moderation and common sense. Test anything you eat/do/ingest/etc. No supplement or food is worth your health.

In a general sense, I would

1. Test different green powders

2. Don't use green powders that have fruit/carbs in them. Dried fruit is really awful for you, in a general sense.

I still think you'd be better off gathering/growing your own greens and eating/juicing them. If you don't have time, get someone else to do it for you. But hey, test, test, test. Whatever works.

Seriously, if several of you can agree on a green powder that really works well for you, I'd at least try taking it.

I've found secret to funky green veggie shakes is adding avocado (which work real well in 'normal' shakes too) and frozen bananas. They both add creamyness and some sweetness.

Michael

It took 20 minutes, but I searched spinach shake <nothing> then spinach and was able to dig up a very old post I had about perfecting the spinach shake; here it is:

Working on perfecting the spinach milk shake. Why you ask? Fame!! Fortune!! Good health!!!

Yesterday the results were less then perfect, an icy thick green mess. I used frozen organic spinach (Trader Joes), ice, 2% milk, plain kefir yogurt, 1/2 banana and a touch of vanilla. It wouldn't mix, I had to keep jamming it down. I got an uneven green blob, that tasted like frozen gelatinous spinach.

Today more banana, no ice, more milk, less spinach. Pretty good. Very healthy too. Could use a bit more blending to smooth it out. Its very milk shaky. The spinach works fine. Strangely it tastes sweet, though the only sweetener is the banana. I'll bet half an avocado would turn it from good to great. Would make it even healthier too.

Perhaps the weak spot is the 2% milk. It does add to the creaminess of the recipie. I could use less with the avocado, maybe add in a bit of water so it will spin. The milk does add protein.

I just had a bizarre Idea... I think I might try your recipe and add protien powder... maybe soy and or whey...

hmmm

Seriously, if several of you can agree on a green powder that really works well for you, I'd at least try taking it.

What? You tell people its bad, and then tell them to try it out for them selves, and THEN you say you havent even tried it yourself??? So you really dont know what you are talking about conserning these green powders...?(I know you know a lot of other things though ;) )

I mostly eat products from Pure Planet because they dont use any additives at all. Just the pure product. Try out their Greens of Kamut if you want somewhere to start.

"When you take any supplement, you want to maximize the body's absorption of the material. If you take a 1000 mg of some product, likely only 50% or less will actually get absorbed. Most is filtered out by the kidneys or the liver and is then flushed down the toilet during the next bathroom call.

The trick with any supplementation is to allow for maximum absorption, which is why the general rule is that the lightest molecular weight will usually get absorbed the best."

from bodybuilding.com