Smile

Nutrient density is the key to good health

XZGgeGHU1Bs

I had an interesting thought yesterday that sort of puts the whole herbi/carnivore diet into a larger perspective.

Foods lower on the food chain are generally less dense with less bioaccumulated toxins.

The lowest edible lifeforms basically being plants and fungi.

Then perhaps bugs.

Then herbivorous animal life.

Then predatory animal life.

XZGgeGHU1Bs

Had some computerproblems so I couldnt see the whole clip. But what I got to see was very interesting.

I was very surprised to see olive oil be all the way down the list next to cola! This makes me not quite trust his research... He must have been very selctive in what olive oil brands he included. I was also very surprised to see that Cola actually got a number higher than 0...

Also, I would very much like to see superfoods like Spirulina and Kamut grass compared to his list!

In norway we have a general government guideline for people to eat at least 2 portions of fruit and 5 portions of vegetables a day. I just calculated the nutrient ingredients of one teaspoon Purely Greens(from Pure Planet) and realized this was enough to get all the nutritients from the governments guidlines. ONE teaspoon...

Edited by sheng zhen

Had some computerproblems so I couldnt see the whole clip. But what I got to see was very interesting.

I was very surprised to see olive oil be all the way down the list next to cola! This makes me not quite trust his research... He must have been very selctive in what olive oil brands he included. I was also very surprised to see that Cola actually got a number higher than 0...

Also, I would very much like to see superfoods like Spirulina and Kamut grass compared to his list!

In norway we have a general government guideline for people to eat at least 2 portions of fruit and 5 portions of vegetables a day. I just calculated the nutrient ingredients of one teaspoon Purely Greens(from Pure Planet) and realized this was enough to get all the nutritients from the governments guidlines. ONE teaspoon...

This is the way i eat and I am a bodybuilder

I was very surprised to see olive oil be all the way down the list next to cola! This makes me not quite trust his research...

Hi Sheng Zhen,

I guess he is talking about the nutritional density of foods (basically the variety and the amount of nutrients).

I wouldn't dismiss extra virgin cold pressed olive oil at all. So would go for seaweed, wheatgrass, etc. He probably didn't include those because they are not common foods.

Hi Sheng Zhen,

I guess he is talking about the nutritional density of foods (basically the variety and the amount of nutrients).

I wouldn't dismiss extra virgin cold pressed olive oil at all. So would go for seaweed, wheatgrass, etc. He probably didn't include those because they are not common foods.

Yes, I see that. Im not dissing(like these guys do:

) was just surprised to see someone with this wonderful workload behind his presentation include these strange points. Where did the 0,5 number in Cola come from? What nutrients are in Cola??? Sugar and water is not considered a nutrient, right? Edited by sheng zhen

Another potential problem in the "eat nutrient-dense foods" theory, is that one can tend to miss certain nutrients that science may not realize we need. We sometimes forget that we don't know everything yet.

For example, I posted about how eating liver gave rats extreme ability to swim for long periods of time. But they don't know what exactly in liver does this, because just the minerals and vitamins don't account for it. There is something MORE.

I still of course in general support the "more nutrients = better" theory :) Just playing devils advocate.

Just remember to make sure your nutrients are bio-available. :) Soak those grains folks. Get your vitamin D, and vitamin A. Stay away from the pasteurized, homogenized milk that kills lab rats.

There's another factor involved as well: the absorbability of those nutrients.

Which is a complex science that few understand parts of how it works.

Thanks Smile for sharing the video.

There's another factor involved as well: the absorbability of those nutrients.

well I am still convinced that MACRO nutirients play a PREDOMINENT role in health. If your insulin and blood sugar are high you are screwed every which way hormonaly, physically and you will age ALOT quicker and will be more suceptible to just about everything under the sun. We must control our CARBOHYDRATES to be trully healthy. Not like to 20 grams a day or anything like that. The degree of restriction depends on the person and his or her lifestyle. But 100-120 grams a day for a PRETTY ACTIVE person is more that enough. For people doing only chi gung or bagua, taichi, Soft style exercises then 70-80 a day is good. Its not that hard if you*drum roll* AVOID GRAINS! BIGU DAMMIT :)

I don't really think whole grains, especially soaked ones cause insulin problems. For me, my blood sugar feels optimal eating soaked whole grains regularly. And many. many healthy traditional diets ate lots of properly prepared whole grains as well.

I don't really think whole grains, especially soaked ones cause insulin problems. For me, my blood sugar feels optimal eating soaked whole grains regularly. And many. many healthy traditional diets ate lots of properly prepared whole grains as well.

I mean this with the upmost respect 11:33 but it really does not matter what you think. The science when it comes to insulin and carb's is very very clear. It is beyond epidemiological studies which can and do get screwed up by many factors. When it comes to HARD BIOLOGY AND METABOLISM and digestive anatomy it is clear to anyone who is actually reading the science without bias that Whole grains, grains, Sugar, Hell all carbohydrates have the similar effect's on our system. What Makes refined grains bad for us is the fact that they digest very quickly. ironically soaking grains makes the easier to digest. So in any case it would help them raise blood sugar more. Also "feeling" blood sugar can be quite misleading. have you gotten a sugar monitor and tested your self several times a day over week while altering the amount of carbohydrates in your diet? If you have not you will be surprised as to what you will see. Whole grains soaked or not raise blood sugar AND INSULIN (which gets ignored) beyond the optimal. Your blood sugar can look normal but your insulin could be high and insulin is very damaging. In fact there is somehing called a longevity profile (which refers to blood markers. Low insulin, low blood sugar and high HDL . virtually all centarains have this profile.

O I forgot to mention that if you get your 70-80 a day from grains you will be okay. But It will leave with less variety of food (fruits and vegtables) so It;s easier to BIGU.

I don't claim to know it all. If you could direct me to the sources of the science you're talking about, I'd love to read more about it. Books or scientific studies. :)

Actually, the red algae Gigartina and Dumontiaceae are said to be the best.

I would love to cultivate these myself, in an aquarium orso.

I don't claim to know it all. If you could direct me to the sources of the science you're talking about, I'd love to read more about it. Books or scientific studies. :)

11:33 He is correct about whole grains or eating a lot of them will raise your insulin levels. I have no clue where he gets his numbers from. Whole grains are much better they are supposed to fill you up faster. Have a bunch more fiber and don't nearly over time destroy your digestive system like simple carbs do.

As far as American Diets go. The whole thing about switching to whole grains is a big step. Although if this is already you than go the step further and reduce the amount you intake. You shouldn't put yourself up to the standards of the average American. It is simply not healthy to think like this.

But restriction on how much carbs you eat is important depending on your lifestyle. My personal recommendation is simply eat vegetables more than anything else. No matter your life style.

Peace, Virtue,

wt

Edited by WhiteTiger

Finding information about this stuff shouldn't be to hard to do.

Studying it is a little different. Checking sources, cross referencing. Especially when there is a huge craze of one way to deit or eat.

To start to understand about cause of insulin issues you want to directly look at Glycemic index.

Lots of stuff to get you started on the net alone.

Peace, Virtue

wt

Well there are three sources which i would without a doubt look at.

The book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" Is the bible on human Metabolism. It is not A diet book but a book on the science of metabolism. Its not an easy read and is quite dense but very fullfilling. If you have not read this book you are missing ALOT of info on what constitutes a healthy diet IMHO. The author is one of the most prestigous science journalist in america= he is not a nutritionist or realted to diet pursay just an award winning science journalist.

The we we have "The Protein Power Life plan" Written by 2 Md's. Few people on earth have as much knowledge as you would think on the human body and the effects of food. Great simple read but also packed with HARD science.

The another great book with alot of sciene and first hand clinical Info is "Life Without Bread"

The author is a Clinician who has been employing such diets to cure disease for 40 years.

You can also go here to these sites and explore. The PP blog is so dense with information that it is ridiculous with great links to abstracts and studies in most post. HERE is the place to start. Just look around :) The second blog has some pretty good info aswell but nothing Like the PP blog. I know of about 30-35 good blogs on the subject if you wouldd like PM after you have had some time with these and I will be happy to pass it along.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/

www.marksdailyapple.com

Ramon,

I ordered all three books from the library.

On another note, what do you think is the best way to lose weight based on your studies?

What do you think of The Primal Blueprint? Is it worth reading, or is it just a rehashing of Mark's Daily Apple?

Edited by 11:33

Well cool! You are on motivated dude. If you are gettin all three I suggest to read The PP lifeplan first as foundation in those things. Then GCBC or Life without bread. Probably LWB would serve as more foundation. GCBC is really A very Dense read although you seem pretty sharp so i have no doubt you will be able to get through it. :) The primal blueprint is in a sense a rehash but is does put everything together into one cohesive. I think losing weight is an incredibly individual thing but I think keeping your carbohydrates in control IN RELATION to you activities is a good way to go. It seems to always work for most people with less hunger and fatigue. My wife Has lost about 30 pounds with Primal diet and Some primal exercise and has kept if off. Many other do as well and certanly the science supports that. People who spend A life in the gym can afford the extra carbs (still unhealthy) but in terms of body composition. For the individual worried about longevity keeping them low AND THEN turing you actvity level to what that amount can support is a better choice IMHO. I am still not conviced really hard exercise even in breif spurts is amazing for your health when diet is already low in carbs. With the diet you are already controlling benficial hormones like THAT TYPE of exercise would. Exercise is best for maintaining lean muscle as we age as well as mobility. VERY IMPORTANT. there are better ways to do that than only Primal blue print type exercises.Weight lifting can become one of the most complicated things on earth(to do right). Most people do not and will eventually expeirience problems. Although I think many of them are useful Like deadlifts, swings, rows and psuhups, squats. These exercises can fall into the catagory of advanced joint mobility hence why I do them with that intention. But I dont go balls to the wall like marks suggest I am not conviced that is good for everyone. If it is done I suggest to keep it 15 minuts a FEW times a week. When the amount of energy you are exepending goes to up to 6 times what your body normally uses to keep you alive at rest there is an increases risk of death. Jogging takes you to like 8. So you get the point. So I guess keep carbs in control dont go overboard with calroies like 5000 a day or anything like that and exercise in relation to your food intake Is what I believe is a very practical and easy way to lose weight without starving or living in the gym while staying healthy. This is a complex subject so feel free to ask me anything and if I know I wll be happy to help. Also From all my reasearch I still think that the basis of a healthy diet Is FAT not protein.

Edited by Ramon25

I've taken a brief look at Protein Power Life Plan... then moved on to Good Calories Bad Calories. I'm pretty sure I won't need to read Protein Power Life Plan after I"m through with it. Good Calories Bad Calories is an awesomely thorough book, which I am thoroughly enjoying.

Thats great! yes very dense book. protein power lifeplan can still offer some tidbits here and there which are good to know IMHO. But if you feel satisfied by GCBC then by all means follow your heart. :)

Thats great! yes very dense book. protein power lifeplan can still offer some tidbits here and there which are good to know IMHO. But if you feel satisfied by GCBC then by all means follow your heart. :)

Yeah,I'll probably read through it in a skimming fashion. But only after reading GCBC, which has a lot more hardcore info from what I can tell.