Sign in to follow this  
rene

Football question

Watching Vikings-Cowboys game. Receiver angles in for touchdown. As he runs towards the goal line he basically straddles pylon, the ball (carried outstretched in his outside hand) does Not cross the plane Between the pylons.

Why is this a touchdown? His right foot crossed the plane between the pylons, but the ball did not. What am I missing?

Thanks!

• Like 2

Watching Vikings-Cowboys game. Receiver angles in for touchdown. As he runs towards the goal line he basically straddles pylon, the ball (carried outstretched in his outside hand) does Not cross the plane Between the pylons.

Why is this a touchdown? His right foot crossed the plane between the pylons, but the ball did not. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Sounds like a bad call to me.

Me too. It wasn't challenged, and as all scoring plays in the NFL are now reviewed I guress it was good... but I still want to read the rules regarding this. Maybe I can find a link. Thanks for your reply, Brian, always appreciated.

Any other thoughts most welcome (-:

I saw the play and he definitely broke the plane with the ball. Pro teams have observers in the booth and carefully watch each play and will challenge any play they feel there is a chance of overturning. A timeout is charged against the challenging team if the challenge fails, but if the challenge stands no timeout is charged.

I caught most of that game last night so I could watch Ezekiel Elliott play for Dallas. Elliott was the running back at Ohio State when they won the national championship two years ago. For his size (5'11" 225 lbs) he is very fast and once he hits the second level, he has the speed to outrun the secondary. He was a track star in high school.

Do you watch a lot of football? Ohio State football runs in my blood. :lol:

Edited by ralis
  • Like 2

Brian and Kar3n must be football fans. What teams? Ohio State is ranked number 2 behind Alabama and most likely will be in the playoffs, although, the conference championship games tomorrow could change that. Will know for certain Sunday.

Edited by ralis

I tried finding video online of the TD in question here but all I'm seeing is controversy over the final play. Sounds like it was an interesting game!

I tried finding video online of the TD in question here but all I'm seeing is controversy over the final play. Sounds like it was an interesting game!

It was interesting. Dallas had far too many turnovers and penalties. 

At 55 seconds is the play in question. He touches the pylon which is all that is needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1DRFhZ02C0

Edited by ralis

Brian and Kar3n must be football fans. What teams? Ohio State is ranked number 2 behind Alabama and most likely will be in the playoffs, although, the conference championship games tomorrow could change that. Will know for certain Sunday.

The first year I paid any attention to football was 1973. I lived in Miami. One of the Dolphins receivers had a kid who was in my class and some of the team would occasionally drop by after school for flag football.

:)

My father's folks were from Alabama so it was Bama unless they were playing Auburn.

I have relatives who've graduated from UofM, Florida & Florida State, among others, so the interfamily rivalries are fun!

My own undergraduate alma mater pulled off an FCS three-peat and one of the biggest upsets in college football history before moving to FBS. (A curiosity -- lots of OSU fans were wearing Mountaineer jerseys in the stadium later that year when they beat the Wolverines.)

I enjoy the game but am not fanatical about it or terribly attached to any team.

• Like 1

The first year I paid any attention to football was 1973. I lived in Miami. One of the Dolphins receivers had a kid who was in my class and some of the team would occasionally drop by after school for flag football.

My father's folks were from Alabama so it was Bama unless they were playing Auburn.

I have relatives who've graduated from UofM, Florida & Florida State, among others, so the interfamily rivalries are fun!

My own undergraduate alma mater pulled off an FCS three-peat and one of the biggest upsets in college football history before moving to FBS. (A curiosity -- lots of OSU fans were wearing Mountaineer jerseys in the stadium later that year when they beat the Wolverines.)

I enjoy the game but am not fanatical about it or terribly attached to any team.

If it is Appalachian State I remember that last minute touchdown against Michigan which was one of the best upsets ever. The Buckeyes have beaten Michigan 14 out of the last 16 times. Saturday's game was intense and 110,000 rabid Buckeye fans were squeezed into the horseshoe which set a record. The greatest rivalry in sports. 

Edited by ralis
  • Like 2

I thought for a moment UofM may be Michigan, but I also remembered it is 'TheU'.

I saw the play and he definitely broke the plane with the ball. Pro teams have observers in the booth and carefully watch each play and will challenge any play they feel there is a chance of overturning. A timeout is charged against the challenging team if the challenge fails, but if the challenge stands no timeout is charged.

I caught most of that game last night so I could watch Ezekiel Elliott play for Dallas. Elliott was the running back at Ohio State when they won the national championship two years ago. For his size (5'11" 225 lbs) he is very fast and once he hits the second level, he has the speed to outrun the secondary. He was a track star in high school.

Do you watch a lot of football? Ohio State football runs in my blood. :lol:

Hiya Ralis (-:

Grew up a Husker (70s) but that dynasty is long gone; now married to a Seahawk fanatic, but I'll always cheer Vikings cause I'm a woman of the North (Viking, Lakota & Jew by blood lolol). Also in my good wishes are any team playing against any Florida or Texas team at any level. :D

Had to chase coyotes from the yard last night so missed the last 3 min of the game (just as well); it was Dallas's second touchdown earlier that was suspect (to me). I know they're reviewed heavily, and I believe your words, but here's the thing:

In an up-the-middle attempt - the ball itself must cross the plane, not just the player's helmet or some other leading body part...so...why would it be enough for just the shoe to touch the pylon, or the corner barely transversed by something other than the ball?

Edit to add: Just watched the vid you posted (thanks!) and the replay shows the ball itself clearly on the outside of the sidelines. So, it must be as you said: foot touching is enough. Well, that sucks. lolol

Edited by rene
  • Like 1

Hiya Ralis (-:

Grew up a Husker (70s) but that dynasty is long gone; now married to a Seahawk fanatic, but I'll always cheer Vikings cause I'm a woman of the North (Viking, Lakota & Jew by blood lolol). Also in my good wishes are any team playing against any Florida or Texas team at any level. :D

Had to chase coyotes from the yard last night so missed the last 3 min of the game (just as well); it was Dallas's second touchdown earlier that was suspect (to me). I know they're reviewed heavily, and I believe your words, but here's the thing:

In an up-the-middle attempt - the ball itself must cross the plane, not just the player's helmet or some other leading body part...so...why would it be enough for just the shoe to touch the pylon, or the corner barely transversed by something other than the ball?

Edit to add: Just watched the vid you posted (thanks!) and the replay shows the ball itself clearly on the outside of the sidelines. So, it must be as you said: foot touching is enough. Well, that sucks. lolol

I believe the ball did cross the plane of the goal line, but the replay angle was not a good view. 

Buckeyes beat Nebraska 62-3 this year. A real beat down.

Edited by ralis

:-p''''

Shoulda been worse, since Nebraska played without a quarterback.

Without a video it is hard to comment... but I think in football, anything needs to cross the plane to count; to be inbounds or across the goal line.   the ball doesn't matter.     In soccer, it is all about the ball :)

Without a video it is hard to comment... but I think in football, anything needs to cross the plane to count; to be inbounds or across the goal line. the ball doesn't matter. In soccer, it is all about the ball :)

With regards to in-bounds/out-of-bounds, the body making contact with the ground is what matters rather than the position of the ball itself. With regards to the goal line, however, it is the ball breaking the vertical plane surface at the edge of the goal line and trimmed by the sidelines. Edited by Brian
  • Like 1

With regards to in-bounds/out-of-bounds, the body making contact with the ground is what matters rather than the position of the ball itself. With regards to the goal line, however, it is the ball breaking the vertical plane surface at the edge of the goal line and trimmed by the sidelines.

I agree with that... ergo... video :)

The College Football Playoff selections came out this morning and my alma mater is in! The two winners face off for the national championship. Should be fun!

Clemson vs. Ohio State  Fiesta Bowl

Washington vs. Alabama  Peach Bowl

Edited by ralis
  • Like 1

I like football. but I would not call myself a fan of any particular team. When the Oilers left Houston, I lost interest. I could never get on board with the Texans, and it just felt odd rooting for Titans. There was no way I was supporting the Cowboys just because they were another home state team.

Football is on in my house regularly, especially when the Cowboys play. Tom and the kids are die hard fans.

Go Cowgirls!!!  :P

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this