nine tailed fox

Parallel Universe

i am putting a highly controversial topic

my reputations is on stack lol :ph34r:

so first of all

do you guys believe in parallel universes ? the idea that there are other completely different universes existing parallel to ours

i am always searching for ways to travel these universes physically, i have only find that astral projection can do it but no method to travel with body

this theory has raised many questions in my mind

it is said

that "whatever you can think of does exist somewhere"

and Tao has infinite possibilities , many of them which we cant even comprehend

than it makes perfect sense that there are many other universes which is completely different world

now the craziest thought

what if the fictional work we have here on earth is a reality of some parallel universe

for example the story of harry potter

what if JK Rowlling channeled this story from the happenings of another universe

same goes for every fictional and fantasy work

whatever we can think, must exist somewhere

we cant think about something which is not possible

if Tao has infinite possibilities than its all possible

its a crazy idea but lets have some discussion

well, it appears to me that time travel is real and people seem to do it all the time. people looking like older or younger versions of people i have met show up sitting on the same bus as me, and avoid direct eye contact with me.

the other day a complete stranger held a door for me and started to say my first name then corrected himself and called me some word like "dude" or something. for the record my name is "stephen" and i can't think of any words that a person would say that begin with "ste" that one would say when holding a door for a stranger

I think there probably are other universes. It would:

*Explain 'dark flow' - basically something is causing a massive set of galaxies to move in the same direction and our best explanation is probably inter-universal forces.

*Provide a good explanation of how the universe came to be that fits logic and science better than the Big Bang alone - reality having no beginning, each universe beginning in a Big Bang.

*Match with the recent finding that background radiation isn't evenly distributed - inter-universal forces again.

Interestingly, Buddhism states that there are multiple universes, or 'world-systems'. Our one is called 'saha', meaning 'endurance'; and in the Lotus Sutra, a Buddha from another universe and some of his followers visit Shakyamuni Buddha and his followers, here in saha. One of them wanted to go back instantly, because his universe was much nicer.

If there are an infinite number of universes, that still may not mean that there are unlimited possibilities. Maybe a universe can only exist if the laws of physics are within certain parameters. Perhaps the Harry Potter universe wouldn't be stable enough to exist. There may be an infinite number of universes with laws of physics identical to our own.

But we just don't know. There could be universes where dancing Gangnam Style opens wormholes which everyone teleports by, and instead of atoms there are really tiny pieces of cheesecake shaped like my face. :)

• Like 1

Believe? No.

Know for an absolute fact? Yes.

Also they are not parallel, they intersect. An infinite number of them come together at the location you call the present moment. They are not "over there", there are right here, and right now.

Everything has already happened before you could make a choice, every thought you could think, it's already been thought, every action you could make, it's already been made, every possible future you could experience, it's already happened.

I know because I experienced it.

You want to travel to one of these universes?

You already ARE, that's all you can possibly do.

Make a choice, think a thought, you are steering yourself between infinite potential future worlds that were all just as real as what you are experiencing right now, right here.

i am putting a highly controversial topic

my reputations is on stack lol :ph34r:

so first of all

do you guys believe in parallel universes ? the idea that there are other completely different universes existing parallel to ours

i am always searching for ways to travel these universes physically, i have only find that astral projection can do it but no method to travel with body

this theory has raised many questions in my mind

it is said

that "whatever you can think of does exist somewhere"

and Tao has infinite possibilities , many of them which we cant even comprehend

than it makes perfect sense that there are many other universes which is completely different world

now the craziest thought

what if the fictional work we have here on earth is a reality of some parallel universe

for example the story of harry potter

what if JK Rowlling channeled this story from the happenings of another universe

same goes for every fictional and fantasy work

whatever we can think, must exist somewhere

we cant think about something which is not possible

if Tao has infinite possibilities than its all possible

its a crazy idea but lets have some discussion

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

Yes, I do believe in parallel/alternate universes. I also believe that they intersect; that may be more accurate as More_Pie_Guy said. There have been many times when it's been a "now you see it, now you don't". situation. For example, someone simply walks into you, and it can't be explained by them simply being oblivious. Or you are driving and a pedestrian, bicycle or another driver seemingly comes out of nowhere. Sound kooky? Maybe, but Dr. Michio Kaku also proposed it. The Vedas, and I believe even the Qur'an make mention of other universes, not just other worlds. I don't think Buddhism has a whole lot, if anything, to say on it. Buddhism isn't generally concerned with ontology.

I think there probably are other universes. It would:

*Explain 'dark flow' - basically something is causing a massive set of galaxies to move in the same direction and our best explanation is probably inter-universal forces.

*Provide a good explanation of how the universe came to be that fits logic and science better than the Big Bang alone - reality having no beginning, each universe beginning in a Big Bang.

*Match with the recent finding that background radiation isn't evenly distributed - inter-universal forces again.

Interestingly, Buddhism states that there are multiple universes, or 'world-systems'. Our one is called 'saha', meaning 'endurance'; and in the Lotus Sutra, a Buddha from another universe and some of his followers visit Shakyamuni Buddha and his followers, here in saha. One of them wanted to go back instantly, because his universe was much nicer.

If there are an infinite number of universes, that still may not mean that there are unlimited possibilities. Maybe a universe can only exist if the laws of physics are within certain parameters. Perhaps the Harry Potter universe wouldn't be stable enough to exist. There may be an infinite number of universes with laws of physics identical to our own.

But we just don't know. There could be universes where dancing Gangnam Style opens wormholes which everyone teleports by, and

instead of atoms there are really tiny pieces of cheesecake shaped like my face. :)

Where can one read more about this from a Buddhist perspective?

instead of atoms there are really tiny pieces of cheesecake shaped like my face. :)

haha that made me laugh so hard!! :D

Where can one read more about this from a Buddhist perspective?

I doubt there's much Buddhist writing about this. Even the Wikipedia article on Buddhist cosmology and articles on Buddhist sites just refer to the planes making up this universe. I wouldn't have realised this was an idea in Buddhism if I hadn't read Master Nan's interpretation of that bit of the Lotus Sutra (in Working Towards Enlightenment), which made me realise that 'world-system' is a synonym for universe, as the planes making up the universe are called worlds.

I think the clearest reference to there being other universes is in the Lotus Sutra, where the Buddha asks other Buddhas to come from their world-systems to saha. Maybe Pure Land stuff goes into it more.

could you please explain this? i don't fancy reading huge confusing walls of text

String theory is the theory that subatomic particles are actually tiny one-dimensional strings, and also there's stuff about extra dimensions (dimension as in depth, length, width, etc) existing on scales that tiny.

could you please explain this? i don't fancy reading huge confusing walls of text

The last time I listened to what the string theorists were saying, in order for their theory to work there had to be parallel universes, I think that they were up to needing eleven more universes.

I think the real goal of the string people was to make the relative universe compatible with the quantum theories.

I've not heard much from the string people lately but I am sure there are still some who want their theories to be generally adopted by the science community.

String theory is the theory that subatomic particles are actually tiny one-dimensional strings, and also there's stuff about extra dimensions (dimension as in depth, length, width, etc) existing on scales that tiny.

Yea string theory kind of supports OM theory that everything is just vibration. So everything is just vibrating "string" and this is (hopefully) the unified theory of everything in that it successfully unifies Einstein's theory of relativity which explain how things operate on a large scale, and quantum mechanics which explains how things operate on a very small scale.

The problem so far is that Relativity breaks down at the small scale and quantum mechanics break down on the large scale. The hope is that string theory is the answer at unification. Part of the theory is that there are multiple dimensions wrapped up in themselves at a very small scale.

So yes string theory does support multiple universes or planes.

• Like 1

Where can one read more about this from a Buddhist perspective

Nagarjuna apparently went to the land of the Nagas which is a realm which intercepts ours and received Dharma teaching, some say some of his scriptures are from that realm like the Flower Ornament Scripture, I tried reading it once and it is pretty strange but got boring fast, but its worth looking up the concept of Indras Net from that teaching for an interesting perspective on reality. Edited by Jetsun

Nagarjuna apparently went to the land of the Nagas which is a realm which intercepts ours and received Dharma teaching, some say some of his scriptures are from that realm like the Flower Ornament Scripture, I tried reading it once and it is pretty strange but got boring fast, but its worth looking up the concept of Indras Net from that teaching for an interesting perspective on reality.

Nagarjuna was a nerdy monk. Don't believe all these stories

http://www.amazon.com/Nagarjuna-Context-Mahayana-Buddhism-Culture/dp/023113164X

Nagarjuna was a nerdy monk. Don't believe all these stories

http://www.amazon.com/Nagarjuna-Context-Mahayana-Buddhism-Culture/dp/023113164X

Nerdy monk lol, maybe, but he does talk about the concept of multiple universes all intercepting in a Buddhist context

"The Avataṃsaka Sūtra describes a cosmos of infinite realms upon realms, mutually containing one another. The vision expressed in this work was the foundation for the creation of the Huayan school of Chinese Buddhism, which was characterized by a philosophy of interpenetration"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatamsaka_Sutra

"Far away in the heavenly abode of the great god Indra, there is a wonderful net which has been hung by some cunning artificer in such a manner that it stretches out infinitely in all directions. In accordance with the extravagant tastes of deities, the artificer has hung a single glittering jewel in each "eye" of the net, and since the net itself is infinite in dimension, the jewels are infinite in number. There hang the jewels, glittering "like" stars in the first magnitude, a wonderful sight to behold. If we now arbitrarily select one of these jewels for inspection and look closely at it, we will discover that in its polished surface there are reflected all the other jewels in the net, infinite in number. Not only that, but each of the jewels reflected in this one jewel is also reflecting all the other jewels, so that there is an infinite reflecting process occurring"

Edited by Jetsun

well may be in different universes there are different cultivation methods too

may be there are different chakra systems in every universe

its very fascinating

but i would really love to have the ability to travel in any universe i want, with body obvilously

may be enlightenment is the answer (lol actually it seems like enlightenment is the answer of many questions)