sean

What are you listening to?

I imaging Karl playing his guitar sittin right next to him up against the couch.

I have a tuner I use for my guitar. Guess what, it is in tune all the time now :D

I especially like the "Lovin Spoonful." Learned "You didn't have to be so nice." I like that little rift Sallie plays.

Ohhhhhhh! Jim! Now that's what I'm Talkin bout. John Sebastian has a real neat description for those of us that use a pick. He calls us flat pickers.

Ohhhhhhh! Jim! Now that's what I'm Talkin bout. John Sebastian has a real neat description for those of us that use a pick. He calls us flat pickers.

Yes, flat-back acoustic guitar played with a pick.  I would think that using a pick would result in fewer mistakes.

But claw hammer banjo is the ultimate.

I have made mistakes in using a pick. It is usually in muting a string I could not hold down hard enough. Or missing the string I wanted to pick. This usually happens when I am trying to show off and make a special sound or technique happen that I am not sure of yet.

I don't know what claw hammer banjo is?

Ah! Now I Know what you are talking about MH. I use to watch "He Haw" with my dad. His folks were from Iowa/Missouri. I would look forward to visiting my grandmother because everything was slow, and the bed I slept in was soft, supportive, and the sheets were white and clean.  I think I remembered lace curtains. She had a water pump in her kitchen. The kind with a handle that you would push down and up to get the water to come out. Everybody was laid back. Talk slow. They seemed untarnished. Not like city folk like me. It was the first time I saw an eggs inside without it being broken. Got to see a little chicken inside. The most disturbing sight I saw was the chickens being bled, and battered by a machine. It took off its feathers. :-(

I remember feeding the chickens down a ways from my grandma's house. Still remember the smell. I would catch grasshoppers and throw them in the coop. The chickens would race after the grasshoppers. I got tired of being on the outside, so I flipped the fence and got in with them. They scattered, and the owner came out and yelled at me. It got back to grandma, and she got mad at me. I got told and pack of chiggers from sitting in the weeds.

Also remembered my first Bible study down a way in this girl house. I had a hankering for her. So, she invited me in to meet her parents. It must have been Sunday, So we prayed together. My grandma also heard about that and told me to stay away from those people.

I got back home. Everybody looked so different, and talked different. So, did I. I had a twang. They didn't. It didn't take too long before the neighborhood crept in again, and I became vigilant and anxious.

I think the kid in Deiverance who played the Banjo used a hammer claw technique. I like the sound a Banjo makes.

• Like 2

I imaging Karl playing his guitar sittin right next to him up against the couch.

I have a tuner I use for my guitar. Guess what, it is in tune all the time now :D

I especially like the "Lovin Spoonful." Learned "You didn't have to be so nice." I like that little rift Sallie plays.

Riffs dead easy.

I've been playing the Johnny Cash cover of the NIN song 'hurt' recently. I really like those slow ballads and if I get it right I can make the guitar sound like piano keys in the chorus. Makes me smile when it works as it has this lovely overtone.

I also add a couple of extra finger picked notes into the verse which gives it a slower feel. Cash does that easily because his voice -even at that time-has a slow, soulful quality, where mine is sweeter. Kind of compensates.

Edited by Karl
  • Like 2

I think the kid in Deiverance who played the Banjo used a hammer claw technique. I like the sound a Banjo makes.

Yes, that is claw hammer style.  And also, the banjo is a five string which is what allowed the boy to play excellent melody.  The old four string banjo was mostly a rhythm instrument.

The lifestyle you spoke of sill exists in certain parts of the US.  North Georgia is an excellent example.

I switched over to my "International" collection of music this morning.  Right now music from the Middle East.  Not sure of the origin of the current song playing but it seems to have some Eastern Europe influence (kinda' like Gypsy music).

Riffs dead easy.

I've been playing the Johnny Cash cover of the NIN song 'hurt' recently. I really like those slow ballads and if I get it right I can make the guitar sound like piano keys in the chorus. Makes me smile when it works as it has this lovely overtone.

I also add a couple of extra finger picked notes into the verse which gives it a slower feel. Cash does that easily because his voice -even at that time-has a slow, soulful quality, where mine is sweeter. Kind of compensates.

You didn't mention that you can sing Karl. Sweet! You seem to be a lot better at playing guitar than I thought. I have had the experience of the piano sound you talk about, but with a 12 string.

You didn't mention that you can sing Karl. Sweet! You seem to be a lot better at playing guitar than I thought. I have had the experience of the piano sound you talk about, but with a 12 string.

Just listened to "Hurt." Very powerful stuff. Only a man of his age could put that into words. I hope the look back for me will be brighter. Sometimes when I am self condeming, it is sooo difficult to see the light.

Just listened to "Hurt." Very powerful stuff. Only a man of his age could put that into words. I hope the look back for me will be brighter. Sometimes when I am self condeming, it is sooo difficult to see the light.

It's a cover Jim, of a Nine inch Nails track by Trent Reznor, but I prefer Cash's version. I also like playing Nirvana cover of Leadbelly 'where did you sleep last night'.

Lead belly where did you sleep last night.

Yeah, there have been many covers of that song.  It even made it over to Bluegrass music.

• Like 1

That is some very excellent playing.

I have a copy of the album and on a good system it's even more stunning. The lows are really punchy.

• Like 1

Karl, the Johnny Cash Hurt song was him singing it. Not a cover. The white guy playing was using a technique called shredding, palm harmonics, and finger the notes in first position and what look like third position. He was hammering the notes and then pulling off.

The Hawaian guy was doing a hammer thumb and harmonics. Not a lot of scale work.

Intertaining.

• Like 2

Karl, the Johnny Cash Hurt song was him singing it. Not a cover. The white guy playing was using a technique called shredding, palm harmonics, and finger the notes in first position and what look like third position. He was hammering the notes and then pulling off.

The Hawaian guy was doing a hammer thumb and harmonics. Not a lot of scale work.

Intertaining.

A cover is someone singing someone else's song, or an arrangement of that song. It's a cover of the Nine Inch Nails song 'hurt' as originally sung by Trent Reznor.

I know what hedges is doing and it's called 'tapping' not shredding. I can tap, but I can't do it with one hand, the best I can manage is multiple hammer ons and pull offs like you hear in Spanish guitar. Hedges appears to be finger picking a melody with the left hand and playing lead, bass (and slap bass), rhythm guitar with the other. Listening to this through a decent system brings home just how impressive the technique is.

• Like 2

Here is a guitarist who everyone interested in guitar should know of:

The duo of Django and Stephane are legend.

• Like 1