Sign in to follow this  
AbsoluteBeginner

Violence

Ya Mu --

Your point of view also agrees completely with mine. I also agree that direct seeing is necessary, but unlike you perhaps, I am not sure that everyone should try to see this way. I think it is something that comes when people are ready. On this site it is a fair thing to say it, but society in general is not completely enlightened and can't be asked to be so. Or do you think different?

NW

I believe that as people become ready that everyone will eventually arrive at this. As you say, society in general is not. But the first step in a thousand mile journey has to be made at some point for everyone.

I have a different problem. I am good at violence. In other words- I have been in many violent situations. In my early years I ended them with a better form of violence than my opponents could muster. In later years after training and seeking greater wisdom rather than powers or ways to exert force etc...I tended to end them peacably ...

I have always remained calm in the face of violence - now I have learned to laugh it away :P So that it happens far less frequently -these past several years-

I also believe that much of the violence I have been subjected to was karmic in nature and actually a means for me to transcend my past lives' foibles!-

love to all- Pat B)

apepch7 --

BUT the causal act may be so far removed temporarily that you as a person have no real active ownership in the ordinary sense.

Absolutely, the higher self has access to all the causes of all your many lives. When you are fully in contact with it, you also start to have that access. But otherwise, you can't always see the causes or the reasons, certainly not consciously.

Steadfastly affirm the good - is a phrase that comes to mind.

Yeah I like that.

The way I have always put it to myself is, your 'higher self' co-operates freely with all events in your life and sees the necessity of fate without reservation. Therefore if you co-operate with life and see the necessity of fate, you will come into contact with your higher self.

(The daimon is constantly in contact with Moira, so if you flow with Moira, you will come into contact with the daimon. Daimon, Higher Self, Tiphareth and karen's 'ontic' seem to me to be the same.)

To me that attitude towards events is very Taoist and also very Stoic, which is why the Stoics are called the 'western Taoists' by some people -- well, one of the reasons.

But yes, steadfastly affirming the good brings you in contact with the deeper truth. Truth, goodness and virtue are all the same thing, so they said in Stoicism, and I agree.

NW

apepch7 --

Absolutely, the higher self has access to all the causes of all your many lives. When you are fully in contact with it, you also start to have that access. But otherwise, you can't always see the causes or the reasons, certainly not consciously.

Yeah I like that.

The way I have always put it to myself is, your 'higher self' co-operates freely with all events in your life and sees the necessity of fate without reservation. Therefore if you co-operate with life and see the necessity of fate, you will come into contact with your higher self.

(The daimon is constantly in contact with Moira, so if you flow with Moira, you will come into contact with the daimon. Daimon, Higher Self, Tiphareth and karen's 'ontic' seem to me to be the same.)

To me that attitude towards events is very Taoist and also very Stoic, which is why the Stoics are called the 'western Taoists' by some people -- well, one of the reasons.

But yes, steadfastly affirming the good brings you in contact with the deeper truth. Truth, goodness and virtue are all the same thing, so they said in Stoicism, and I agree.

NW

NeutralW,

I don't know a lot about Stoicism but it sounds interesting. Its Zeno isn't it? How did he relate to Socrates and Plato.

I got into the metaphysics of Plato watching Pierre Grimes on youtube:

Open mind

it gave me some faith in how the 'orthodox' Western tradition has held some true transmission from the Classical world - but has been 'got at' by academics who have reduced Plato particularly to a state of extreme dullness.

apepch7

I don't know a lot about Stoicism but it sounds interesting.

Don't mind me, I like to blather on about these things! :)

Its Zeno isn't it? How did he relate to Socrates and Plato.

Yes, Zeno of Citium that is, there were several Zenos. He founded 'Stoicism', named after the 'Stoa Poikile', or 'painted porch' under which he used to lecture in the square at Athens. He was later than Socrates and Plato, in the Hellenistic period, born just after Plato died. Socrates in particular was a giant influence on Stoicism.

It became one of the most important classical philosophies and influenced Hermetics. It began with Zeno, Cleanthes and Chrysippus (the so-called 'Old Stoa'), and progressed through several Greek generations. It became extremely influential at Rome too, thanks to the famous ex-slave sage Epictetus. The last famous Stoic was the Emperor Marcus Aurelius (appears in the film 'Gladiator' ^_^)

The Stoics recognized the cosmos as filled with an energy called pneuma that appeared in various densities and types of organization. Their ethical approach involved understanding of fate and examining the causes of destructive emotions, which they mapped out as motions of pneuma. Their ideal was the sophos or sage, who had achieved a 'harmonious flow of life, according to Nature.'

I can give more detail elsewhere -- they were very ahead of their time in many ways. When things moved back toward Platonic mysticism, they lost ground, but actually, their work was very much resonant with that system also.

I got into the metaphysics of Plato watching Pierre Grimes on youtube:

Whoah! That's alot... who is he? Where do I begin?

it gave me some faith in how the 'orthodox' Western tradition has held some true transmission from the Classical world - but has been 'got at' by academics who have reduced Plato particularly to a state of extreme dullness.

Yes although that is certainly changing right now. People are begin forced to recognize a few things!

NW

yes, if you have violence this life, it can be due to past life's karma too. Like you got into some porblems last life and this life you may encounter them again to end it.

BUT!

If you do end it good, then you stop it from looping back at you too. That is why we are still here in this world - to cancel out unbalanced karma problems.

Sign in to follow this