Sign in to follow this  
mwight

Long Term, Self Suficent, Commune for Cultivators?

From what I've heard, some people spend some years green-intentional-community hopping. Sounds like a ton o' fun to me... exploring organic farming communities, hanging out for a month or a season or a year, and travel to several different ones like that... 'd learn a lot, about life-style, about what works / doesn't in a community, "gotta get back to the land and set my soullllll free" :D There are also some good books and dvd's documenting ic's.

From what I've heard, some people spend some years green-intentional-community hopping. Sounds like a ton o' fun to me... exploring organic farming communities, hanging out for a month or a season or a year, and travel to several different ones like that... 'd learn a lot, about life-style, about what works / doesn't in a community, "gotta get back to the land and set my soullllll free" :D There are also some good books and dvd's documenting ic's.

I wonder how old can you be and still do it.

P.

Thank you! :lol:

Finally someone with clear ideas.

Can I ask you other questions, :mellow:

or was this just a one of? ;)

I picture it as being part of whatever community it is close to as well as a welcoming place for travelers and practitioners. But community involvement should be important to keep balance with the surroundings (granted the location is near a town or a city).

But you're thinking basically the way I am. No rent but must contribute something to the sustainability of the compound, i.e. maintenance, handy-work, farming, teaching. The thing I've come to understand about people who travel as well as individuals who are drawn to places like these, is that they almost always have something to teach and are always willing to learn. Basically they're seeking something - truth, understanding, culture etc.

I actually like the idea of using technology, although theft is definitely something to be aware of, but internet access would probably come in very handy as far as the education-wing of the complex is concerned as well as, like you mentioned, employment as well as networking purposes since nearly everyone uses email these days.

I also like the idea of inviting guests to teach and showcase. That would definitely be a welcoming and shared experience and keep things lively. Might not even be a bad way to bring the community into the fold.

All in all it would work on three levels...

1. Practice
  2. Education
  3. Expansion of teachings

And I like very much yours. Can you describe it better, so maybe I can start playing with it, and maybe realise it?

I was also thinking about advertising on the couch surfing network.

I also like the idea to have a house that is so essential that I don't fear anyone will steal anything.

A bit of a problem with the computer. But I need a computer as long as I have a daily job, and I have an office as long as I have a day job too.

Also, although it is going to be an open house, and I don't want to charge any rent or similar, I do expect people to contribute. Either by helping in the house or helping with the house, or however they themselves will suggest.

I think the question: "How do you expect to contribute?" can be made quite directly. People are generally quite honest in wanting to contribute, and we all have a sense when we are being taken advantage of, when we are taking advantage of, and when it is fair.

I want to make it fun, and relaxed, and open. And also a place were true cultivation is possible, as well as it is possible to enjoy the silence.

If in the U.S., it's going to be all about money. 100 acres in Montana will run from half a mil. to a couple million depending on location. I don't know any practitioners with that kinda money, and ideally it should be run by 2 or 3 people with one being the money source so final decisions can be made.

I like Pietro's idea of it being an open-house of sorts, but If i won the lottery tomorrow, I would create a sanctuary that functions on multiple levels. Not just purely for Taoist practitioners, but a place for traveling minds, wanderers(not transients) and lost souls where one can gain isolation, friendship if need be and definitely education. Just thinking about a top-notch library makes me want to jing my pants.

there are plenty of good ideas here and on the Gathering of Immortals thread-

I am serious about trying to buy a lottery ticket and asking all of us to concentrate on those #s when the time is right and trying to manifest this idea into a shared reality- I do not need to be the buyer of the ticket but I would delve into all viable possibilities as my prime objective if I were the holder of a winning ticket..., until we could begin the actual purchase or building of a center or three, one in Asia... One in Europe one in the USA seems the best idea to me ... they would be simple and utile places to share and learn. and to give back to the communities they are in as well...I know good ecologically sound architects who use very good materials etc...

I have forsaken the idea of me going to China to do anything constructive - I think I would be in trouble with the Govt. in about a New York minute!

lets try this ! many seem to have an interest... I shall buy a ticket for NEXT TUESDAY's Big Ball Lottery and post the "winning" #

I'm thinking I'd use the path to character building #s -From the I Ching's hexagrams...10, 15, ...41, 42 etc...I need to look them up, as they are not all in my memory just this moment...

more later- Pat

Sounds like an awesome idea! I would love to be invited/come and meet up with other Tao people... Anyone would like to trade information, so we can start the ball rolling?

I have suggested this before... and I PLEDGE TO FINANCE THE BUYING OF THE LAND & BUILDING THE PREMISSES TO CREATE SUCH A COMMUNE IF I WIN THE LOTTERY!!!

If we ALL concentrate on these #s... 05 07 15 34 42 47 for the NJ - pick six...

this evening - the drawing is Thursday evening- 8 PM EDT

YES!-We can move forward... and if this doesn't work lets plan ahead to do a concerted effort of our collective energy to win a lottery!!! -

I need not be the recipient - we can formulate the numbers in a seperate thread etc - but I do believe that if we alll concentrate on such a feat it can be achieved!

love to all- Pat

EDIT- next day- NOT A Winner! -but I do think that its an interesting approach to building our collective abilities and then build something!-

Edited by Wayfarer64

Sign in to follow this