Sign in to follow this  
sean

The Dialogue Method

A few months ago I was doing a lot of cultivation that involved communicating (or attempting to communicate) directly with my shen. Peter Falk has also been doing this for years, fasincating us with detailed descriptions of his experiences in his journals and blogs here. Voice, as well, began tapping into experiences of a similar vein with a technique called "Focusing". Yoda even had the Bear licking his Kidney's at one point. :lol:

Anyway, kind of a wordy lead in here ... I just stumbled across an interesting set of articles that touch on how to get into a mindset for creating these sorts of connections with almost anything in your life you want, really. Organs, Gods, archetypes, nature, long distant (or deceased) friends, imagined beings, etc.

The Dialogue Method

An Exercise in Transpersonal Psychology: Dialoguing

Apparently the "Dialogue Method" was proposed by Carl Jung and then further expaned upon by Ira Progoff his Intensive Journal process.

:)

Sean.

Cool quote:

Carl Jung originated this procedure. His idea was to take a

sensation, feeling, even an archetype, and imagine it to be a living being

with whom you can converse. This procedure is effective to the extent

that you can translate your personal feelings and intuitions into a visual

image which you then see in front of you, hear, and/or sense.

This mental construct is real in the same way that feelings are

real. But feelings and intuitions often have vast and unknown depths.

Part of their power is that they are in touch with things of which we are

barely conscious. Therefore, the being we visualize is not artificial or

without power. It has a voice which can speak from the depths within us.

Put another way, it resides in a part of our brain we hardly ever use. At

the same time, the point is to use our conscious mind and our own

questions as we converse with it. Dialoguing is an active exchange

between two different levels of consciousness.

A psychologist who engages in this process is, in a sense, acting as a

magician performing an evocation. The only difference between the

psychologist and the magician is that the magician's concentration is

carefully developed. With his eyes open, he can visualize anything he can

imagine or recall as if it is actually in front of him. This is quite

easy because he has practiced visualization for decades. And the magician

may also use, at his discretion, various ritual techniques which he has

discovered amplify his feeling of being connected.

To distill some more thoughts on this subject into one thread, the practice of automatic writing while pretending you are channelling a silly animal like a duck gets you past your inner sensors, then daily practice quickly writing two pages of near gibberish eventually opens one up to new experiences. Natalie Goldberg has similar suggestions in Zen Bones.

-Yoda

Very interesting... this addresses something I've been chewing on for a while. I learned Winn's version of Fusion I, and in practicing on my own (I worked with the tapes first), this practice sounds pretty darn close to how Fusion had evolvedfor me. Got lots of insight and felt like I was getting good progress when I started allowing feelings to turn into 'characters' i could interact with. I let it go, though, when I became concerned about it becoming too much like watching internal movies about transformation, rather than being transformative. may be time to revisit that and see if anything's changed.

Thanks for posting this.

Cool quote:

Carl Jung originated this procedure.  His idea was to take a

sensation, feeling, even an archetype, and imagine it to be a living being

with whom you can converse.  This procedure is effective to the extent

that you can translate your personal feelings and intuitions into a visual

image which you then see in front of you, hear, and/or sense.

This mental construct is real in the same way that feelings are

real.  But feelings and intuitions often have vast and unknown depths.

Part of their power is that they are in touch with things of which we are

barely conscious.  Therefore, the being we visualize is not artificial or

without power.  It has a voice which can speak from the depths within us.

Put another way, it resides in a part of our brain we hardly ever use.  At

the same time, the point is to use our conscious mind and our own

questions as we converse with it.  Dialoguing is an active exchange

between two different levels of consciousness.

A psychologist who engages in this process is, in a sense, acting as a

magician performing an evocation.  The only difference between the

psychologist and the magician is that the magician's concentration is

carefully developed.  With his eyes open, he can visualize anything he can

imagine or recall as if it is actually in front of him.  This is quite

easy because he has practiced visualization for decades.  And the magician

may also use, at his discretion, various ritual techniques which he has

discovered amplify his feeling of being connected. 

To distill some more thoughts on this subject into one thread, the practice of automatic writing while pretending you are channelling a silly animal like a duck gets you past your inner sensors, then daily practice quickly writing two pages of near gibberish eventually opens one up to new experiences.  Natalie Goldberg has similar suggestions in Zen Bones. 

-Yoda

6317[/snapback]

Hey... if my weiner is sad about taking the day off, maybe I can sit down with him and share our feelings and chat and all that. Before kids were in the picture, I'd draw little eyes on my weiner and he'd chat with Mrs. Yoda in sort of a Muppet voice.

Then we'd do a three-way.

By honoring his individuality, he seemed pleased.

I've been calling him Smeagol recently. I thought that was funny, but it has hurt the little guy's pride a bit. We'll find him an honorary title or a name with more dignity.

-Yoda

How about Smeagol spelled backwards: Log A(i)ms?

Or, annagram you: Me as Log?

By the way, there's an excellent hypnotic/NLP procedure that works with our "parts" by Connie Rae Andreas called "Core Transformations."

the practice of automatic writing while pretending you are channelling a silly animal like a duck gets you past your inner sensors, then daily practice quickly writing two pages of near gibberish eventually opens one up to new experiences. Natalie Goldberg has similar suggestions in Zen Bones.

I recently got a (password protected) diary program from download.com, and find it to be really helpful.

Great quote Yoda!

By the way, there's an excellent hypnotic/NLP procedure that works with our "parts" by Connie Rae Andreas called "Core Transformations."

6334[/snapback]

I second that. I've had some really powerful experiences with this process.

about a month back a teacher of mine said to pray out loud..... he said this in the context of talking out loud to the trees, animals, your innerds what ever.

that was cool for me at the time and now because i tend not to articulate my thots and feelings much and knew that the trees wouldn't mind me yaking at them.

this has also cooled down my temper with inanimate objects.... when they fuck with me and fall over or what ever stupid thing they do, i have a more playful interaction with them which i am asuming will lead to me realizing how it is that i caused them to fall etc... before i just got pissed and wondered why everything fucks up and compounds all at once....

i know its me and suspect that even if its not i can have a better response to such things.

A few months ago I was doing a lot of cultivation that involved communicating (or attempting to communicate) directly with my shen. Peter Falk has also been doing this for years, fasincating us with detailed descriptions of his experiences in his journals and blogs here. Voice, as well, began tapping into experiences of a similar vein with a technique called "Focusing". Yoda even had the Bear licking his Kidney's at one point.  :lol:

Anyway, kind of a wordy lead in here ... I just stumbled across an interesting set of articles that touch on how to get into a mindset for creating these sorts of connections with almost anything in your life you want, really. Organs, Gods, archetypes, nature, long distant (or deceased) friends, imagined beings, etc.

The Dialogue Method

An Exercise in Transpersonal Psychology: Dialoguing

Apparently the "Dialogue Method" was proposed by Carl Jung and then further expaned upon by Ira Progoff his Intensive Journal process.

:)

Sean.

6314[/snapback]

sometimes in my daily meditations my energy body that is being formed makes itself apparent to me.

i try to communicate with it but i communicate at too slow a speed i.e. with words and the energy body does not use words so it's a little strange to talk with. the only time i spoke with it, the responses were just in my head and then i had to convert them to words in order to process them and it was basically "you are not moving fast enough (i.e. not thinking SLOW enough, without words basically) and come back when you can".

hahaha im waiting for that day... but it is approaching little bit by little bit.

i have stopped trying to communicate with my internal organs though and prefer to let them do their thing. i think it can be relevant though in that the more you communicate with your body, the more you realise it's not actually you and then the more you open up the ability to find out who you really are.

we can also communicate with other people, energy beings, etc.... and finally 'god' or the 'universe' or the 'force' or whatever you want to call it, but again this kind of communication does not use words.

i am getting results with my practice in this respect though as my empathetic or telepathic abilities are slowly increasing and sometimes i can read my friends thoughts.... in a way.

i.e. last night was driving in the car with my friends back from dinner, and had asked one friend previously if he was coming back to my house to which he replied no. about 5 minutes away from my house i sensed a shift though and i knew he would be coming back to my house even though it took a couple more minutes for him to tell me. my other friend in the car who is doing the same kind of practice as me also sensed the shift in his thought. way cool.

there are cool games we can play to enhance this ability within us.

we used to play them as kids......

HIDE AND SEEK!

go to a shopping mall with a friend. one person goes away somewhere and the other person waits for a while and then goes to find them.... but trying to 'scan' for them, i.e. using telepathy to pick up on their unique vibrational frequency to find them.

we did it all as kids.

im trying to get that back and hopefully looking to organise some people one day a week to get together and play kids games...... a friend of mine just told me also that there is an adult sized play-ground not far from here, going tomorrow! can't wait! hahahaha.

Sign in to follow this