Sign in to follow this  
Qui-Dao

Anyone here familair with Laohu Gong?

Hello Hundun,

I prefaced my reply with 'in my understanding' because that is what I have to offer . . . no complete statements of Truth here, because I feel a sense of humility is needed when discussing any of these sacred arts. . . and honestly I feel this humility missing in many of the posts I read here. . . that's all that was meant. Master Wu has told me that the Tiger form is appx. 300 years old. I have heard nothing from him about changes he has made to the form as learned from his teachers.

I'll be interested to hear what you learn from his reply!

best,

Hello Hundun,

I prefaced my reply with 'in my understanding' because that is what I have to offer . . . no complete statements of Truth here, because I feel a sense of humility is needed when discussing any of these sacred arts. . . and honestly I feel this humility missing in many of the posts I read here. . . that's all that was meant. Master Wu has told me that the Tiger form is appx. 300 years old. I have heard nothing from him about changes he has made to the form as learned from his teachers.

I'll be interested to hear what you learn from his reply!

best,

okay...

sorry if i'm not... humble enough. :unsure: i'm not reverent about much, especially if it involves the internal arts. like keeney said, humility tends to be something that gets bragged about. i mean no disrespect in my communication style, but humility is something i recognize and value in certain instances, and the nature of most Tao Bum discussions doesn't typically qualify. but i DO believe in being respectful, so if i'm ever offensive, (and this goes out to anyone) let me know.

;)

if he actually told you the form is 300 years old, i can accept that.

if his reply to me is any different from that, i'll let you guys know.

Edited by Hundun

okay...

sorry if i'm not... humble enough. :unsure: i'm not reverent about much, especially if it involves the internal arts. like keeney said, humility tends to be something that gets bragged about. i mean no disrespect in my communication style, but humility is something i recognize and value in certain instances, and the nature of most Tao Bum discussions doesn't typically qualify. but i DO believe in being respectful, so if i'm ever offensive, (and this goes out to anyone) let me know.

;)

if he actually told you the form is 300 years old, i can accept that.

if his reply to me is any different from that, i'll let you guys know.

;) Hundun, I certainly wasn't referring to you with my remark about humility in communication. . . what I have read from you has settled into my heart nicely, thank you ~ I think for all of us, humility is a worthy virtue to cultivate . . . and I'm speaking to myself as much as anyone. When we met the 80yr old abbot at the dragon gate caves, and he told us 'I don't know anything about internal alchemy, I just eat the food from the temple and take benefits from the dao' as he poured us tea, I really understood in that moment the meaning of humiity. Here is this sage who has lived and cultivated in the caves for 50 years, about 4 1/2' tall with a qi field the size (and strength) of the sun, with absolutely nothing to prove to anyone. How refreshing!

Anyhow, I appreciate your replies and look forward to hearing what you learn from m. wu.

...When we met the 80yr old abbot at the dragon gate caves, and he told us 'I don't know anything about internal alchemy, I just eat the food from the temple and take benefits from the dao' as he poured us tea, I really understood in that moment the meaning of humiity. Here is this sage who has lived and cultivated in the caves for 50 years, about 4 1/2' tall with a qi field the size (and strength) of the sun, with absolutely nothing to prove to anyone. How refreshing!

wow,

you TOTALLY just made my day with that story!

that's the TRUTH.

:)

thank you.

Edited by Hundun

what's Master Wu doing up at this hour? just kidding. :lol:

i wrote him about other stuff as well, but that stuff wasn't germane to this thread and won't be shared. but this is all he said about GM Zhang and the competing lao hu gong forms in question:

(i had originally written more here, but then i realized that i wouldn't be respecting the spirit of his statement that i did decide to share. let me just say that maybe i was onto something in my thread about GM zhang.) "...Anyway, I have no interests to argue with others because I need my life energy to do something good for people."

not the answer i expected, but better, i think.

:lol:

Edited by Hundun

Thankyou for the information on the Tiger form, is there any of the 12 lunar theories taught in the dvd or is there anyway for people to attain this information later that is abroad?

regards

Ape

Thankyou for the information on the Tiger form, is there any of the 12 lunar theories taught in the dvd or is there anyway for people to attain this information later that is abroad?

regards

Ape

regards

Ape

The information about the 24 segments of the lunar year calendar is not available in writing or on DVD from Master Wu. We learned it in a seminar "advanced Shamanic Tiger". To summarize; The 24 movements of the Tiger form are linked to the 24 segments of the lunar year. Master Wu went in depth into the meaning/essence of the 24 segments of the year. The form begins and ends "in the cave" and in the course of the form you move through a journey. Each name of the 24 moves indicates the steps of the journey, e.g. 1. Return to the great primordial Qi. 4. Tiger emerges from the cave. 6. Spiritual sword kills the demon. 8. connect with heaven and penetrate earth. 10. Tiger climbs the mountain. 11. Ride the wind down the mountain. 22. Maintain peace in the 8 directions. 23. Sacrifice everything to the heavenly cave. 24. Remain in the Dao Qi.

Master Wu's book seems simple at first reading, and some reviews I have read indicate dissappointment at this. The descriptions of the moves and their meaning(s) are very helpful in developing this form and your cultivation more deeply. The first half of the book seems like it brushes the surface, but there are gems hidden within and I have found myself mining there with success many times.

Spirit Ape. To answer the question I think you asked, there are certainly places to find discussion about the 24 segments of the Lunar year. Or perhaps you were asking about the heavenly stems or earthly branches?

This information is available too, but I cannot make you a good recommendation about that.

Craig

"...Anyway, I have no interests to argue with others because I need my life energy to do something good for people."

Sounds like the Wu I know.

What great advice for people participating on a discussion board.

I am glad he answered you. I have almost never written to him, but I know some of his students do from time to time. Sometimes I think he spends as much time on the web as I do. accckkk.

Thanks for Sharing this.

Craig

what's Master Wu doing up at this hour? just kidding. :lol:

i wrote him about other stuff as well, but that stuff wasn't germane to this thread and won't be shared. but this is all he said about GM Zhang and the competing lao hu gong forms in question:

(i had originally written more here, but then i realized that i wouldn't be respecting the spirit of his statement that i did decide to share. let me just say that maybe i was onto something in my thread about GM zhang.) "...Anyway, I have no interests to argue with others because I need my life energy to do something good for people."

:) Yep, that sounds like Master Wu. Just to share a little fun story with you (Craig, you'll like this one), this past weekend we were in a 5 Elements workshop with Master Wu just a few blocks from my house here in Portland. The workshop happened to be on a street which was holding a big, all day street fair. During our lunch break, we walked out of our workshop building and onto the street where a veeery talented beatboxer was looping beats and lyrics over himself through a PA. Our Qi was flowing from the work we had been doing, and all started to dance around a bit to the music. Then Master Wu, in his golden ceremonial cultivation suit, stepped into the middle of the circle and commenced a full on drunken master style free-form dance, as the beat boxer started to weave in "kung fu fighting" lyrics. What a hilarious and beautiful scene! He later told us that that was the first time he had ever danced out on the street in public . . . not something he usually does, but the Qi was moving and the flow was effortless.

Just one of the things I love about M. Wu . . . part of him is an old, wise sage, and another part just loves to laugh and have fun.

with love qi ~

Oh, man! :(

See what you miss when you decide not to come?

This is like the first local seminar in almost two years that I didn't go to :o

Oh well, family was missin me, cant spend all my time going to hang out with my Shen Family.

Sounds like a good time was had by all.

Thanks for the report. See you Friday? And Saturday?

Craig

Hi Riverheron,

Very interesting may i ask the significance of the returning to the cave means or coming out the cave means?

I think i will invest in the Tiger form if its an ancient practice i would like this as well is it similar to Dao Yin?

Spirit Ape

Hi Riverheron,

Very interesting may i ask the significance of the returning to the cave means or coming out the cave means?

I think i will invest in the Tiger form if its an ancient practice i would like this as well is it similar to Dao Yin?

Spirit Ape

vCraigP,

You were missed this weekend, but I knew you were having some good family time :) It was much fun. Yes, I'll see you Friday, but not Saturday . . . we're holding a sound healing ceremony at the Middle Earth Gathering down at Silver Falls for the equinox. It's a very sweet little bi-yearly gathering.

Spirit Ape,

The cave represents the Dao, the oneness. . . we emerge from the oneness into the form, like a tiger emerges from it's cave. We move through the 24 cycles of transformation, tiger to dragon, and then, as the Dao is a path of return, we return to the heavenly cave, the Dao. We return all of our energy and cultivation and virtue to the cave, the dao, also, the dantian.

best of luck on your journey!

Hey Thankyou man, nice breakdown in Dr Yang Jwing Mings book his poem says the brain is also the cave possibly the Ni Wan and the White crane flies! Would you visualize the names of each move as a journey through Tao using the meanings for Intent etc?

I may have to buy this dvd!!

Spirit ape

Thanks for the quality of your response. I have no clue who "Grandmaster" Zhang is. We may be getting into the realm of Chinese politics here if you take my meaning.

Craig

To clarify this, Master Wu was a student of Master Zhang; I've seen original school photos of Master Wu with the other 100 or so students in the class. As for 'who' Master Zhang is, he's a lineage holder for several styles, primarily Long Men Pai (Dragon Gate). Lu Zijian named his as his successor in 2002. If you want to know more you can peep qigongmaster.com ;) There was more explained to me about Master Wu's lineage claims and it wasn't all positive, but I believe that we're all men with faults and hopefully everyone in this scene is taking steps towards being beautiful :) Lord knows I have room to grow... hopefully this world/life will grant me that room!

Sign in to follow this