daoian

What is the Dao? Lightness Skill

What is the benefit/objective of this training? I mean why work so hard towards being able to be lighter? Where does it get you?

I'm not being a jerk here :) Trying to understand!

What is the benefit/objective of this training? I mean why work so hard towards being able to be lighter? Where does it get you?

I'm not being a jerk here :) Trying to understand!

Some people study MA and would like to use the skill to their advantage in fighting (kicks, etc). Or to be able to do stunts like form the movie below... there is a name for the urban sport being very popular in Europe where you jump through all kind of buildings and structures...

PMeADAJOoEs

there is a name for the urban sport being very popular in Europe where you jump through all kind of buildings and structures...

parcour

I think I should mention that all the lightness training mentioned above comes with special energy training that supports the skill development. Without it it's mostly useless.

The foundation of lightness skill is internal cultivation, not external exercise.

first method

1- dig a hole in the ground about 1/1.5 meters in diameter and the depth reaches your waist level.

2- use ankle weights and jump from your ankles only. do that every day for 1-3 years, increase the depth f the hole gradually so that you reach the same ground level when jumping (but the depth increases). then you'll be able to jump 10 meters high (without the ankle weights of course).

second method:

1- use ankle weights and run a lot every day, and increase the ankle weights gradually. then add a heavy vest and increase its weight gradually.

that's it, loosely referenced from the shaolin secret 72 arts, another way involved walking on the edge of a large cistern which is full of water, and decreasing the water amount gradually (not sure about the water part)

Also, walking and balancing on rope is a training method (yes the same one you see in the circus). Chinese circus perfomers use exercises common with martial arts including balancing, flexibility, strength, and focus.

Joseph Pilates claimed that his system of exercises incorporate many systems including yoga and chinese circus exercises.

most of these are external methods which are arduous and take a long time. there are internal methods which are less arduous I think, I've seen demonstrators do breathing and qigong movements but I don't know what exactly. Da Mo was said to have floated on a river by just standing on a stick of reed. I read somewhere that it's called Hing Gong (in one of yang jwing-ming's books).

1) Weighted plyometrics has its limits and you will hit your ceiling pretty quick with this crude method.

2) I think tightrope-walking could add another few inches...but not feet.

3) I think to develop any real qing-gong skill beyond just great athleticism...you will have to do some form of qigong. Unfortunately, I haven't found what type of qigong is needed for this yet. Steve f - do you know?

4) I've heard quite a few personal stories of real qing-gong jumps (usually of a Chinese 60ish-yo's now-deceased qigong master parent)...but have never seen any actual photos or vids.

1) Weighted plyometrics has its limits and you will hit your ceiling pretty quick with this crude method.

2) I think tightrope-walking could add another few inches...but not feet.

3) I think to develop any real qing-gong skill beyond just great athleticism...you will have to do some form of qigong. Unfortunately, I haven't found what type of qigong is needed for this yet. Steve f - do you know?

4) I've heard quite a few personal stories of real qing-gong jumps (usually of a Chinese 60ish-yo's now-deceased qigong master parent)...but have never seen any actual photos or vids.

The Lightness Technique is a part of the qigong running technique that I can teach. Four parts: 1) Stamina 2) Swiftness 3) Qi Pushing up a Hill and 4) Lightness. It is an energy technique and not a physical or martial technique and requires one to have a developed Dan Tian before attempting to learn.

Not gonna post how to do this here. Besides - not any real need to learn this - takes too long to learn as well. Qigong running is an advanced aspect of the Stillness-Movement form. Remember the Energy Vortex I created at the workshop? I used this technique just a wee bit there.