snowymountains

end goal is Daoism ( and comparison to Buddhism's end goal )

Posted (edited)

From Fabrizio Pregadio's "THE WAY OF THE GOLDEN ELIXIR"

The first stage proper is “Refining Essence to Transmute it into Breath” (lianjing huaqi), also called Barrier of the Hundred Days (bairi guan). Its purpose is to generate a Breath made of the union of Original Essence and Breath, called the External Medicine (waiyao). By means of repeated breathing cycles, essence is circulated along the route of the above-mentioned River Chariot: it rises in the back of the body along the Function Vessel to the upper Cinnabar Field, and from there descends in the front of the body along the Control Vessel until it reaches the lower Cinnabar Field, where it is sealed and coagulates. This path of circulating the essence is regulated by the system of the Fire Times; it inverts the ordinary tendency of the essence to flow downwards and be wasted.

The second stage is “Refining Breath to Transmute it into Spirit” (lianqi huashen), also called Barrier of the Ten Months (shiyue guan). Its purpose is to generate a Spirit made of the union of Original Breath (obtained in the previous stage) and Spirit. Breath and Spirit are the True Water in the lungs (Yin within Yang) and the True Fire in the reins (Yang within Yin). Their conjunction produces the Internal Medicine (neiyao), which is nourished between the lower and the middle Cinnabar Fields. At the end of this stage, Essence, Breath, and Spirit are combined into one entity.

The third and final stage is “Refining Spirit to Return to Emptiness” (lianshen huanxu), also called the Barrier of the Nine Years (jiunian guan). Its purpose is to further refine the Spirit obtained in the previous stage so that one may attain Emptiness and and Non-Being. This stage is described as the joining of the External and the Internal Medicines, which results in the formation of the Great Medicine (dayao). The practice ends with the adept’s return to Emptiness, or the Dao.

( bold is mine )

A) Assuming that emptiness here refers to emptiness of self (which is an assumption of mine, not present in the quote above from Pregadio), this sounds remarkably close to achieving insight.

B ) However the above also spells out a process very similar to MCO, which barring some Zen lineages, is not practiced as such in Buddhism, e.g. Theravada has no such practice.

Also, in ( Theravadan ) insight the final stage is where the meditator is able to concentrate on that which has no beginning, no duration and no end, aka Nibbana, which bears no similarities at all to an MCO process.

A) and B ) seem to be somewhat at odds, so the question is, is the end goal the same or not between Daoism and Buddhism? If not, then what are the main differences ?

Edited by snowymountains
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, snowymountains said:

insight the final stage is where the meditator is able to concentrate on that which has no beginning, no duration and no end, aka Nibbana, which bears no similarities at all to an MCO process.

.......so the question is, is the end goal

i heard the end goal of buddhism is to escape suffering of birth, aging, illness, dying; 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duḥkha#Early_Buddhism

how a concentration or insight on anything prevents any of that?

It does not. Which means that you are mistaken or do not know what is the end goal of Daoism and Buddhism. In reality, both of them have the same goal: creation of an immortal soul which is impervious to suffering.

Edited by Taoist Texts
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Apech said:

eightfold noble path

Sorry for an answer we really need the nitty gritty nuts and bolts of that. "It just does"sounds reassuring but doesn't explain much

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

Sorry for an answer we really need the nitty gritty nuts and bolts of that. "It just does"sounds reassuring but doesn't explain much

‘we’?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Apech said:

‘we’?

yes, myself and the OP, tell us how that works, we beseech you

5 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

yes, myself and the OP, tell us how that works, we beseech you

I see , thank you.  You have changed your original reply which makes your question clearer.  Is the creation of an immortal soul a goal of Buddhism?  If so what type of Buddhism since it is not really a monolith? 

The Buddhas solution to dukkha is the eightfold path which includes right concentration.  And some would say that this is about realizing the non-self and that this brings liberation.

it is not particularly my view though . 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

i heard the end goal of buddhism is to escape suffering of birth, aging, illness, dying; 

It does not. Which means that you are mistaken or do not know what is the end goal of Daoism and Buddhism. In reality, both of them have the same goal: creation of an immortal soul which is impervious to suffering.

This is grossly wrong.

M

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, snowymountains said:

From Fabrizio Pregadio's "THE WAY OF THE GOLDEN ELIXIR"

B ) However the above also spells out a process very similar to MCO, which barring some Zen lineages, is not practiced as such in Buddhism, e.g. Theravada has no such practice.

Also, in ( Theravadan ) insight the final stage is where the meditator is able to concentrate on that which has no beginning, no duration and no end, aka Nibbana, which bears no similarities at all to an MCO process.

Read Pregadios translation of Wang Mu Foundations of Internal Alchemy.  The final stage is not about MCO. 

Read Karunadasa The Theravada Abhidhamma at the same time. It should fill in the blanks, and bridge the two traditions rather nicely. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

how-to explanations are hard because they involve magic words like 'because' and logical cause-effect statements and defined terminology. E. g. "Walls are built by putting a brick on a brick" or "Two atoms of H plus one atom of O = H2O". Thats why most people dont have time for explanations....i think at least thats the reason...time...

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

In Buddhism end of suffering is achieved through insight, it is possible only when you reach Nibbana.

You can see the stages here Four stages of awakening - Wikipedia ( Mahayana traditions have different stages, this is Theravadan ).

Insight is the core of how how to escape from suffering, insight meditation the #1 practice .

Concentration has an important but secondary role, not even 1st Jhana is required to reach Nibbana ( though a pre-jhana samadhi is required ).

On Buddhism that's what the end goal is - I can't comment on Daoism, which I don't know.

3 hours ago, Forestgreen said:

Read Pregadios translation of Wang Mu Foundations of Internal Alchemy.  The final stage is not about MCO. 

Read Karunadasa The Theravada Abhidhamma at the same time. It should fill in the blanks, and bridge the two traditions rather nicely. 

Thank you, I'll order Wang Mu Foundations of Internal Alchemy and compare it to Abiddhama .

What is the role of MCO then as in why is it a core practice? 

In Theravadan Buddhism and most Buddhist lineages it's not a thing. In Rinzai lineages, where an MCO variant exists, it is a practice but not a core one, why is it important in Daoism ?

15 minutes ago, snowymountains said:

In Buddhism end of suffering is achieved through insight, it is possible only when you reach Nibbana.

i see you are not a big fan of certain words like 'how exactly" and 'because of this happens that'. great then;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taoist Texts said:

i see you are not a big fan of certain words like 'how exactly" and 'because of this happens that'. great then;)

I'm not, because I don't buy into the end goal as stated nor the path as stated, though it certainly has good elements in it.

Little point in scrutinising a process that has its fair share of gaps ( despite being a very good practice), it would take pages for all that and it wouldn't be related to the question of whether the end goal is the same between the two paths.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Apech said:

Is the creation of an immortal soul a goal of Buddhism?  

Yes it is absolutely. What else could be the goal? Of course there are gradations like a better rebirth on earth, a rebirth on a heaven, a final rebirth in the pure land paradise (which is the final nirvana). But they all hinge on constructing a soul, which is like a boat, can fish by the shore, can cross the Atlantic.

If so what type of Buddhism since it is not really a monolith?

All and every type. We (the buddhists hehe) are really closing ranks on that point;). Do you know a specific type of buddhist which has something else for an end goal?

36 minutes ago, snowymountains said:

the question of whether the end goal is the same between the two paths.

cool. if so let me bask in satisfaction of having answered it above and repeating it here: yes the goal is the same.

Edited by Taoist Texts
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Taoist Texts said:

Yes it is absolutely. What else could be the goal? Of course there are gradations like a better rebirth on earth, a rebirth on a heaven, a final rebirth in the pure land paradise (which is the final nirvana). But they all hinge on constructing a soul, which is like a boat, can fish by the shore, can cross the Atlantic.

All and every type. We (the buddhists hehe) are really closing ranks on that point;). Do you know a specific type of buddhist which has something else for an end goal?

cool. if so let me bask in satisfaction of having answered it above and repeating it here: yes the goal is the same.

Well it is said that the goal of Theravada is becoming an Arhat and the goal of Mahayana Buddhism is to become a Buddha.  And in the case of Vajrayana to become a Buddha in one life time.

As far as I know the only one of these which has an alchemical process is Vajrayana.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Apech said:

Well it is said that the goal of Theravada is becoming an Arhat and the goal of Mahayana Buddhism is to become a Buddha.  And in the case of Vajrayana to become a Buddha in one life time.

well of course. And both of Arhat and Buddha are basically the same thing which both mean the attainment of nirvana:

In Theravada Buddhism, the Buddha himself is first identified as an arhat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arhat#In_Theravāda_Buddhism

The Mahīśāsaka and the Theravada regarded arhats and buddhas as being similar to one another. The 5th century Theravadin commentator Buddhaghosa regarded arhats as having completed the path to enlightenment.[note 4] According to Bhikkhu Bodhi, the Pāli Canon portrays the Buddha declaring himself to be an arahant.[32][note 5] According to Bhikkhu Bodhi, nirvāṇa is "the ultimate goal", and one who has attained nirvana has attained arhatship:[note 6] Bhikkhu Bodhi writes, "The defining mark of an arahant is the attainment of nirvāṇa in this present life."[32]

and nirvana is of course the buddhist paradise

the view of primitive Buddhism was that nirvana was a positive reality, a kind of immortal state (amrta) similar to the godly abode of svarga found in the Edicts of Ashoka.[58]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_(Buddhism)#As_a_metaphysical_reality_or_transcendent_consciousness

1 hour ago, Apech said:

As far as I know the only one of these which has an alchemical process is Vajrayana.

alchemy is inherent in all the other schools. once we define what the alchemy is then we will see that it was there the whole time;)

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

well of course. And both of Arhat and Buddha are basically the same thing which both mean the attainment of nirvana:

and nirvana is of course the buddhist paradise

alchemy is inherent in all the other schools. once we define what the alchemy is then we will see that it was there the whole time;)

lol ok thanks for clarifying your understanding.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, snowymountains said:

What is the role of MCO then as in why is it a core practice? 

In Theravadan Buddhism and most Buddhist lineages it's not a thing. In Rinzai lineages, where an MCO variant exists, it is a practice but not a core one, why is it important in Daoism ?

I'm not a Daoist, but: 

The Du-Ren circulation is important in the beginner practices.

The microcosmic orbit is central in the intermediate practices. 

None of the above are central beyond that.

• Like 2