Lois

The power of Russian love

23 hours ago, Taomeow said:

That's what Joe Rogan opined in one of his podcasts I recall.  He asserts that his MA friends and acquaintances who are accomplished fighters are the chillest folks ever in everyday life.  They let off all the steam and release all their aggressive impulses in training and sparring, and lose the need to act them out in their interactions with others outside the training hall.   

I'm not MA or particularly accomplished but that's one of the greatest benefits I got out of my decade or so in martial arts.  

When young and stressed if you can't release pent up energy constructively, it ends up in your head making you crazier.  

• Like 2

On 5/6/2024 at 8:49 AM, Apech said:

The English practice insult aikido  - when the insult arrives they assume you are just insulting them because you recognize their natural superiority and so the insult becomes praise.

Ahhh , so you too recognize 'the natural superiority ' inherent in  Aki-kai  ! 

On 6-5-2024 at 12:34 AM, Nungali said:

He did did he ?     Instill a sense of care by teaching them karate ?     :)  

I can think of a few other things that might instill a sense of care other than  that !   

Typical misconception multiplied by a  business owner that is  mostly being used by kids nowadays and has a high client turnover .

oh, excuse me, i did not make myself clear.

he told me : i have this bunch of young and often quite aggressive guys and I teach them to be more dangerous then they already are. So I need to instill some responsibility in them. That's much harder then teaching them the physical things.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2024 at 3:30 PM, blue eyed snake said:

he told me : i have this bunch of young and often quite aggressive guys and I teach them to be more dangerous then they already are. So I need to instill some responsibility in them. That's much harder then teaching them the physical things.

That's why I had my kids take karate when young.  It was one of the few places, other than the home, where there was talk of control, humility, honor, respect.  

• Like 2

On 5/7/2024 at 4:30 PM, blue eyed snake said:

Sounds like a good teacher.
I wonder how much of that sort of lesson comes from the teacher and how much from the student and everything else that brought them to that moment. I feel a need to provide and guide when in that role but my time as a parent has shown me that there is more to it than offering instruction or even demonstrating by example.

• Like 1