idiot_stimpy

Stages of Self Identification

Physical - I am the body, when the body dies I die.

Mental - I am not just my body, but I am my thoughts. I am the thinker and the sum of my beliefs make me who I am. When the body dies my mind lives on. 

Causal - I am undifferentiated awareness. I see thoughts arising within the space of awareness. Awareness will be there when thoughts cease. I effortlessly exist. I AM.

Unknown - I am the unknowable. The totality of experience is a changing illusion, including the 5 senses. Like the projection in a dream, the dreamer is dreaming the projection. The dreamscape itself is devoid of the dreamer. Like playing a video game, the character in the video game is not the same as the player playing the video game character, who is completely outside the video game world. 

• Like 1

There is Awareness here.

All former notions of the various identity entities have refined into that one unshakable vajra knowingness.

All else is subjected to shifting.

• Like 3

We are the body, and we are the mind as well, and also this awareness/consciousness if you want. We are very complex beings :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My first recollectible memory of this life was an out of body experience induced by an intense dream.

It indelibly imbued the gift of vajra knowing that my essential nature is awareness. 

The body, manifests as a semi-persistent experience, which arises within a field of awareness.

The mind... another aspect of semi-persistence, though vastly more changeable and vacillatory moment to moment than the body, also arises and persists only within a field of awarneness.

Body is not the I am.

Mind is not.

I am.

Awareness is... all else rises and falls away within this.

To rest as awareness is to open the door to true nature in this one's experience.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

I have had dreams of being out of the body and flying. I do not know if they were real or just childhood fantasies. Was, .. Is there a way to tell the difference between dreams and the real out of the body experiences? Do I need to look at my hands? Or do I have to see something in real life to prove the dream was real?

As far as I know, this self is of this body. Cut away an arm and leg and the mind is diminished because the mind no longer controls these limbs. Feed the body alcohol or drugs and the mind travels to areas where control is lost. The body is influenced by the chemicals that were ingested. It all points to body and mind are linked.

It seems when I die then all that will be left are the strings of karma created by this mind and self. Never know when it will return. It isn't like flowers in the spring time. An apple seed is planted and begins to grow. When and what sweetness the fruit comes, that is unknown to me.

I wish I could say i can rest as awareness and let all else arise and fall away.

Edited by Tommy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I wish I could say i can rest as awareness and let all else arise and fall away.

No need to wish! Sitting in open awareness and allowing the mind to become still is all that is required. Most people can begin to have glimpses of resting in awareness in a week or so, all it takes is your sincere wish to end suffering, or understand the nature of mind. 

This is a nice primer on what you are trying to accomplish and how to start by a lovely, lovely being:

https://www.lionsroar.com/how-to-meditate-dzogchen-ponlop-rinpoche-on-mahamudra/

Edited by stirling
  • Like 4

On 4/17/2024 at 9:20 AM, idiot_stimpy said:

Causal - I am undifferentiated awareness. I see thoughts arising within the space of awareness. Awareness will be there when thoughts cease. I effortlessly exist. I AM.

It is not the I AM, but awareness enveloped in inertia. That which you call “unknown” is the I AM. 

• Like 1

Garab Dorje states -

Introducing directly the face of rigpa itself.

Deciding upon one thing and one thing only.

Confidence directly in the liberation of rising thoughts

The second part whereby one decides upon the one thing and one thing only is whereby self identity starts to transfer from the conditioned to the unconditioned.

The decision is like an intent, no words are needed, a bit like an understanding or a knowing.

On 20/04/2024 at 2:39 AM, dwai said:

It is not the I AM, but awareness enveloped in inertia. That which you call “unknown” is the I AM. 

We may be using the same terms and using different descriptions here. It's very hard for me to explain. 

For me, when one rests in awareness, I mean resting in the 5 sense organs, but being undifferentiated so it remains whole. It is effortless to exists and rest in this nature and is what I believe the main practice of the cutting through our trekcho.

We see through the fiction of the mind but still see the information provided by the 5 sense organs are being real. 

I believe the Buddha went beyond the 5 sense organs and saw them as Maya, illusion. The body and all that you are experiencing right now is not real. You are dreaming and don't realise you are dreaming. Your body is just a dream body, your thoughts are made up of dream language and the food and drink you consume including the taste is all part of the dream.

In my opinion, seeing through the illusion of the 5 sense organs is what is seen in the leep over teachings of Togal.