Good friday to you.  Who's the artist?  This is the first painting I'm seeing of Christ before Pilate where Pilate's dog is present.  That dog, named Banga, is a protagonist in "The Master and Margarita" novel, but I am not aware of any other sources mentioning its existence, except maybe Pearl Jam's lyrics -- "like Pilate, I have a dog" -- but they may have read the novel and got the dog from there (just like Mick Jagger got "Sympathy for the Devil" out of it.)

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

44 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Good friday to you.  Who's the artist?  This is the first painting I'm seeing of Christ before Pilate where Pilate's dog is present.  That dog, named Banga, is a protagonist in "The Master and Margarita" novel, but I am not aware of any other sources mentioning its existence, except maybe Pearl Jam's lyrics -- "like Pilate, I have a dog" -- but they may have read the novel and got the dog from there (just like Mick Jagger got "Sympathy for the Devil" out of it.)

https://arthive.com/artists/71356~Sushienok64_mailru_Mikhailovich_Sushenok_Igor/works/p:2

Igor Mikhailovich Sushenok was born on March 31, 1964 in the town of Zlynka, Bryansk Region. Igor received the first basics of drawing with his brother Alexander from the Zlynkovsky artist-designer Trofim Trofimovich Bobrov, then study continued at the Novozybkovsky art school. After serving in the army, he studied (1990-1996) in Moscow at the Russian Academy of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture, headed by the People's Artist of the USSR, academician of the Russian Academy of Arts, Ilya Sergeyevich Glazunov. From 1998 to 2002 studied in the creative workshop of the Russian Academy of Arts under the guidance of People's Artists of the USSR, full members of the Russian Academy of Arts, brothers Sergey Petrovich and Alexei Petrovich Tkachev. Since 1997, is a member of public regional and foreign art exhibitions. Awarded with a diploma of the Russian Academy of Arts of the second degree (2002). In 2005. awarded the medal of the Russian Orthodox Church of St. Sergius of Radonezh of the first degree. Currently lives and works in the city of Moscow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So I guess the artist definitely had the Master and Margarita in mind. 

It's interesting, I don't know of any country other than Russia where so many contemporary artists produce fine work comparable to academic painting and other 19th century styles. It's not like they're stuck in the past either, Russia has also contributed its fair share of avant garde art. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, SirPalomides said:

So I guess the artist definitely had the Master and Margarita in mind. 

It's interesting, I don't know of any country other than Russia where so many contemporary artists produce fine work comparable to academic painting and other 19th century styles. It's not like they're stuck in the past either, Russia has also contributed its fair share of avant garde art. 

very high technical skills apart from anything else

• Like 1

As usual, on Good  Friday, we had a dark sky and some ominous 'swirly' clouds overhead , late afternoon .   I been watching that for years ; 7 out of 10  it seems , often a bad storm . Sometimes when the rest of the day is good weather .

meh ..... probably a coincidence ....

image.thumb.png.8cf64ef922d6c60358fb5b8d6df2b1b0.png

• Like 2