DaoForest

Greetings - Deeper Knowledge of Qi/Energy

Hello,

I just discovered the site via a post from Terence Dunn on Quora. My background is mainly in meditation with some qi gong. The qi gong I've learned is likely not traditional, as I understand that's the case with most of what is taught in the West these days. As I recall the teacher made no great claims about the style's origin, but perhaps that was just humility.
I'm interested in learning an authentic style of qi gong in-depth, as opposed to an exotic calisthenics routine. I understand that this is an in-person endeavor requiring more than casual instruction at the local gym. If I'm going to put in the time, might as well be on the road to the right destination. I've studied Chinese and lived in China, as well as Japan, years ago. Although my abilities are rusty, I'm rapidly resurrecting them and planning to take the HSK 6 later this year.
As a related part of that effort, I'm looking for a qigong tradition and teacher that I can have confidence in and commit to. I'd also like to supplement this with the study of Chinese medicine, so conversations and information about that are also helpful.
Thanks for reading!

• Like 8

Welcome to the site.  Sounds like a good traditional teacher. 

By the way what's the HSK?  

@DaoForest A very impressive background indeed. Welcome to the forum. :) 

54 minutes ago, thelerner said:

… what's the HSK?  

HSK = it’s the Chinese proficiency tests. Level 6 = being fluent.

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1

On 26.2.2024 at 4:13 PM, -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ- said:
On 26.2.2024 at 4:13 PM, -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ- said:

Welcome! Have you check out the Flying Phoenix thread yet? Sifu Terry posts there often

Hello - Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have a closer look at this soon. There is a lot of information and experience in the post you linked to. I'll enjoy going through it when I have a bit more time.

So far, it has been a tough task to suss out the qigong systems & teachers that have a solid base in tradition. Granted, the qigong courses focused on exercise and movement also have their benefit, especially for people who don't normally get much, but I'm searching for more. Many of the systems seem to be yet another trademarked name with their own "certification", many of which have to be renewed annually at significant expense. Some of the certifications also seem to be handed out too easily. I get that certification can be a way to maintain quality, but it's hard not to feel that some are more about the cash than about furthering the art, philosophy, and energy of qigong. A few even give off a cultish vibe around the personality of the founder-.

In any case, a certificate is less important to me than developing a real depth of knowledge and experience. So the search continues for now.

As far as the HSK, Level 6 was the highest until recently when they added three more levels, HSK 7-9. This is the blurb describing it "The HSK 7-9 test is intended for scholars, Sinologists, and Chinese language and literature students at the university level. In other words, passing HSK 6 should equip you with a basic mastery of the Chinese language (fluency) and you don't necessarily have to take the 7-9."

Thanks again for the good info. Glad to be here!

• Like 2

Welcome,

I hope you'll be able to find real wood in the forest :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaoForest said:

So far, it has been a tough task to suss out the qigong systems & teachers that have a solid base in tradition. Granted, the qigong courses focused on exercise and movement also have their benefit, especially for people who don't normally get much, but I'm searching for more. Many of the systems seem to be yet another trademarked name with their own "certification", many of which have to be renewed annually at significant expense. Some of the certifications also seem to be handed out too easily. I get that certification can be a way to maintain quality, but it's hard not to feel that some are more about the cash than about furthering the art, philosophy, and energy of qigong. A few even give off a cultish vibe around the personality of the founder-.

In any case, a certificate is less important to me than developing a real depth of knowledge and experience. So the search continues for now.

Well, read up more on Flying Phoenix when you can. It’s not like the systems you just described.

On 2/10/2024 at 7:33 AM, DaoForest said:

I'm interested in learning an authentic style of qi gong in-depth, as opposed to an exotic calisthenics routine. I understand that this is an in-person endeavor requiring more than casual instruction at the local gym. If I'm going to put in the time, might as well be on the road to the right destination. I've studied Chinese and lived in China.....

Welcome!
A person with wisdom will go a long way. Perhaps, you may speak some Chinese to me!  :)

PS You might want to go into the Personal Practice Discussion section to get some idea what people are up to.

Edited by ChiDragon