snowymountains

Does Taoism use "direct pointing"

11 minutes ago, Antares said:

Firstly you need to bring ANY solid proof of the theory you declared here. Before you blame anybody else here. At least it would be polite from your side. I don't bring any because it would be off-topic.

What is it that you want me to prove?

Also asking for evidence for what someone believes or thinks isn't "blaming". 

Edited by Maddie

4 minutes ago, Maddie said:

What is it that you want me to prove?

You say that modern humanity understands world better than our ancestors.

Secondly you say they were "hunter-gathers"

Yes, probably they were... but 50 000+ years ago

I know you can bring many sources on that... but you should be aware who writes these "scientific" works

7 minutes ago, Antares said:

You say that modern humanity understands world better than our ancestors.

Secondly you say they were "hunter-gathers"

Yes, probably they were... but 50 000+ years ago

I know you can bring many sources on that... but you should be aware who writes these "scientific" works

1. You say that modern humanity understands world better than our ancestors. Yes

2. Secondly you say they were "hunter-gathers" Yes

3. Yes, probably they were... but 50 000+ years ago Yes and more recently than that as well.

4. a. I know you can bring many sources on that... Good, I'm excited to see them.

b. but you should be aware who writes these "scientific" works, Scientists do. 

1 hour ago, Maddie said:

1. You say that modern humanity understands world better than our ancestors. Yes

2. Secondly you say they were "hunter-gathers" Yes

3. Yes, probably they were... but 50 000+ years ago Yes and more recently than that as well.

4. a. I know you can bring many sources on that... Good, I'm excited to see them.

b. but you should be aware who writes these "scientific" works, Scientists do. 

‘modern humanity’ understands very little if you mean people generally- they are mostly ignorant of even basic things.

the knowledge of hunter gatherers of their world, plants, the behavior of animals , the weather, the seasons and the relationship to the celestial motions of sun, moon , and stars was extensive and in some ways superior to ours.

scientists tend to work narrowly in their own silos and see little of the big picture - even the wisest of ‘em lacks true insight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Apech said:

the knowledge of hunter gatherers of their world, plants, the behavior of animals , the weather, the seasons and the relationship to the celestial motions of sun, moon , and stars was extensive and in some ways superior to ours.

The knowledge of their direct environment, places of proximity to where they were, was probably superior as they needed to be very mindful of it, they had to be, for survival. E.g. modern people do not know animal patterns on a mountain 10mins from their home, they could had known them but it would require a completely different lifestyle to the modern one.

In terms of overall knowledge on plants, animals etc, they couldn't had known more though, they lacked the tools we have.

Their knowledge of stars could only had been inferior, they simply did not have the technological means to observe them like we do. We've actually been to the moon, they never did.

There's an interesting documentary on the Kogi where the tribal sage is able to distinguish stars from far away galaxies, which was impressive but nonetheless, there's no comparison to how much more we know about the universe.

7 hours ago, snowymountains said:

The knowledge of their direct environment, places of proximity to where they were, was probably superior as they needed to be very mindful of it, they had to be, for survival. E.g. modern people do not know animal patterns on a mountain 10mins from their home, they could had known them but it would require a completely different lifestyle to the modern one.

In terms of overall knowledge on plants, animals etc, they couldn't had known more though, they lacked the tools we have.

Their knowledge of stars could only had been inferior, they simply did not have the technological means to observe them like we do. We've actually been to the moon, they never did.

There's an interesting documentary on the Kogi where the tribal sage is able to distinguish stars from far away galaxies, which was impressive but nonetheless, there's no comparison to how much more we know about the universe.

I think you are missing the point about the nature of valid knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Apech said:

I think you are missing the point about the nature of valid knowledge.

One important point, not to be missed, is that hunter gatherers lacked telescopes, satellites, university departments, biology labs and a lot more.

All of which produce very valid knowledge that hunter gatherers had no access to.

Funny, I actually watched a YouTube video about this Yesterday. It didn't mention direct pointing, but about transmission. It kind of said a transmission happens when the student has enough Chi and the teacher is willing to share

Edited by Dedicated
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dedicated said:

Funny, I actually watched a YouTube video about this Yesterday. It didn't mention direct pointing, but about transmission. It kind of said a transmission happens when the student has enough Chi and the teacher is willing to share

I see, interesting, this sounds different to the Zen teaching method.

As far as I know at least, in Zen there's no such teaching method.

There are very very few exercises for energy in Zen though, in Rinzai that is, can't speak for other lineages, but to the best of my knowledge eg in Soto, which I don't practice, I haven't heard Soto practitioners ever mention energy exercises.

• Thanks 1