Dao of Rob

Thirty-three years of daoism

Hi All

I'm a new user of this forum, but have been around the daoist texts and commentaries since a friend shoved 'The Tao of Pooh' into my hands in 1991. At that time I fell in love with the unique viewpoints I was reading and they informed many practices I was developing over the following years - karate, self-defence (in the more general sense), buddhist meditation, career jobs, friendships and relationships, sailing, diving, fishing, cooking and maintaining the home. I can honestly say that nothing has influenced me more or poured more joy into my daily activities. When the complex world is grinding me down I pick up a very well-thumbed copy of Elizabeth Breuilly and Martin Palmer's version of the 'Book of Chuang Tzu' or any one of the dozens of other books (and versions) I have and suddenly I can sit at the kitchen table again, doing nothing and realising how unnecessarily hard we make life for ourselves a lot of the time. Why it took me all these years to google 'Daoism forum' I can't quite explain. I look forward to swapping notes with fellow travellers. R.

• Like 5

Hi Rob. Great intro, lots of experience there. Welcome to the forum. :)

• Like 1

Thanks Apech - I didn't know of that poem. But yes, that's sailing ... 

You forget our mirth, and talk at the tables,
The kine in the shed and the horse in the stables—
To pitch her sides and go over her cables.