Maddie

Chain of disillusionment

7 minutes ago, Cobie said:

Yes. But it wasn’t the UFC/MMA phenomenon in my case. After 50 years of exploring Eastern religions, I became disillusioned with the cultural history (things like the female foot mutilation, widow ‘suicides’ and marrying off/selling off little children). 

Yeah I can see how that would do it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Maddie said:

Here's a recent video of yet another TMA fighting MMA. The results are predictable. 

I feel so sorry for that guy!

Then there's:

10 hours ago, Maddie said:

Here's a recent video of yet another TMA fighting MMA. The results are predictable. 

hang on ... that sanda guy was not punching properly ! 

A karate instructor will show him how ... you are supposed to punch straight , and leave your fist hanging in the air  out there , and retract your other fist to your hip  ( and yell a bit )  and   ( as opposed to boxing )  " Hands down ! "

I call this the 'instructor's punch ' .... that way he will be able to show you 37 different ways to beat you up when you punch like that    ;) 

But even with a reasonable  young fit boxer ....  they might get a surprise .... from

'Pop Boxer ' !   ( 86 yo )

Edited by Nungali
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cobie said:

Yes. But it wasn’t the UFC/MMA phenomenon in my case. After 50 years of exploring Eastern religions, I became disillusioned with the cultural history (things like the female foot mutilation, widow ‘suicides’ and marrying off/selling off little children). 

Well then, I guess now its time to study the western religions  ... and eventually get disillusioned by them too .

You could start with that part of the crusades when they first crossed over into the Middle east   at Constantinople . A bit further down they met their first 'foe' . After a bit of a massacre they sliced off their bottom cheeks and made a BBQ  .  Thing was they where actually Christians too ... they forgot to check first .  A history of the Popes is fun reading too ! 

• Haha 1

Real or not real, these "performances" are not practical.  How to accumulate, and then direct your Chi to your hands,  and send it out, fly across empty space, maintain the momentum, and finally hit the moving target,  with sufficient damage, all within half a second in attacking an opponent?     Using Chi to fight has no practical value. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Master Logray said:

Real or not real, these "performances" are not practical.  How to accumulate, and then direct your Chi to your hands,  and send it out, fly across empty space, maintain the momentum, and finally hit the moving target,  with sufficient damage, all within half a second in attacking an opponent?     Using Chi to fight has no practical value. 

Indeed

BUT

the thing I have found , and  many others  have found  the visualization of  " How to accumulate, and then direct your Chi to your hands,  and send it out, fly across empty space, maintain the momentum, and ....   "   - keep it going , ie.  no 'target' as such -  helps one to have better strength , control and manipulation of 'opposing force' by physically meeting and joining with that force and then redirecting it .

Or other things like the Aikido 'unbendable arm exercise' .

Practical value ?  Many  times I had used the technique  when I worked as an orderly  eg . lifting a very large person . I found the recommended way very bad practice at times  ( the person lifting who was not at the lower end - feet or legs ) is supposed to  sit the patient forward, slide their arms under the other's, fold the other's arms in front of them and then grasp their forearms  and 'hoik' them up  ( this might be necessary though if the person is unconscious or has no ability to use their arms ) . I have seen a lot of elderly with broken skin on the forearms  from this method . Also it must not be done with burn victims .

Instead I would slip my arms under theirs and extend my arms out, hands out fingers open  and flow 'energy' along my arms and out my fingers and I could lift a LOT more and with less strain .

A couple of times I lifted HUGE pregnant woman, from a trolley  bed  on to a delivery bed in the labor ward  sometimes they had trouble shuffling over from one to the other  and  (wanting to take extra care of them )  I would  " I can lift you over ."  They and the nurses present would be .... nah !  But (believe it or not, I can be reassuring and kind at times   ;)  ) then one might offer ,  " I'll take the legs " .... not needed ;   I would get them ( the patient, not the nurse )  to hug me ; one arm over my shoulder, the other arm under the other shoulder , slip one of my arms under their back, another under their knees , arms out fingers extended  and 'scoop' them up , extending ki 'to heaven' imagining I am lifting a huge bowl  ( sorry mums  :D  )   turning and then lowering them on the other bed .   Onlookers where  WOW  ... but I am not that strong,  dont have a strong looking physic  and have  'skinny girl arms' .

Another case was a fire fighter .... I still get emotional thinking or talking about this ... I went through many stages dealing with this disaster ;  a huge bush fire , firefighters got caught in it and had to run through a wall of flames to safety after an unexpected wind change  ,  about  5 of them came in with horrific all over burns . We lost two in  emergency ward , one later in Intensive care ward , another who had to stay  long term in intensive care (and another  got transferred out to some specialty hospital). The one that remained had burns all over him, no where to lift  him  (in and out of bed ) . He was near terrified of the procedure due to the amount of pain it had been giving him, I could tell so I halted a bit , thought about it ( I had  another orderly with me , a competent one, thank God ). The patient  did not have burns under his arms or on the soles of his feet , so I got the other Orderly to place his palms on the guys feet and the guy to press down  with his feet like he was trying to stand up ,  I put my hands , vertically under his armpits , same position, arms extended,  fingers pointing , 'extended ki' and up he went .  he was overjoyed as the pain involved was greatly reduced . Every time he needed to in or out of bed he requested my assistance , even if it was not my ward  for that shift ... I didnt mind coming in to help him .

So,  I think such exercises CAN certainly be valuable and helpful to others  .... it doesnt just have to be about fighting, challenges or showing off  ( well, maybe a bit of showing off ... in front of the nurses   :)  ) 

if this   " How to accumulate, and then direct your Chi to your hands,  and send it out, fly across empty space, "  is not a rhetorical question I can give you my explanation .

• Like 1