senryu. Love you. :wub:

senryu, love you
some senryu, you sure do
me, I like the rain

231105-west-clouds_DSC01986.jpg

Edited by Mark Foote
  • Like 2

On 27/02/2024 at 8:30 AM, Taoist Texts said:

… bafflingly unreasonable. who would write a useless book? ...idk ppl just keep saying the damnedest things...

Indeed.

Like the first line of the DDJ. If the Dao cannot be expressed, then “who would write a useless book”!

https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/55433-do-you-need-to-learn-chinese/?do=findComment&comment=1022024   

https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/55124-you-and-wu-in-chapter-one/?do=findComment&comment=1014660   

Edited by Cobie

2 hours ago, Nungali said:

… bring up your kids right, no matter what you suffered …

Yes. Reminded me of this quote: 

It’s not to say that these things didn’t haunt me, because they did. I just stopped them from haunting my son’s childhood. He was 37 when he finally learned the full story. … During that phone call, … he kept repeating ‘you were so normal’ … To me, this was one of my greatest accomplishments in life.” (she survived an attack by Ted Bundy)

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Cobie said:

Like the first line of the DDJ. If the Dao cannot be expressed, then “who would write a useless book”!

i donno why ppl say that. the first line says exactly the opposite: dao can be expressed. funny peeps;)

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, The Biggest Nobody said:

I want to change my name to 'An Insignificant Nobody' because I am now an insignificant nobody.

I want to change my name to 'The Biggest Nobody' because I am the biggest nobody of them all.

‘grandiosity’ & ‘depression’ are two sides of the same coin. No worries, you will find the middle way. Be well. :)

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mark Foote said:

...  Everything changes …

panta rhei (πάντα ῥεῖ) "everything flows" (Heraclitus)  

• Like 2

The guard at the gate asked Laozi to write down his teachings, in reply, Laozi started with:

道 可 道 也 - As for the teachings that I [Laozi] can express, 

非 恆 道 也 - they go against the customary teachings.

名 可 名 也 - As for the morals that I [Laozi] can express, 

非 恆 名 也 - they go against the customary morality.

Edited by Cobie

Posted (edited)
On 28/02/2024 at 7:54 AM, Taoist Texts said:

i donno why ppl say that. the first line says exactly the opposite: dao can be expressed. funny peeps;)

Could you please post your current translation of the characters of the first line? 
(I posted my latest version in the post above).

Edited by Cobie

12 hours ago, Cobie said:

Could you please post your current translation of the characters of the first line? 
(I posted my latest version in the post above).

Sure why not. Of course the official translation is meaningless and thats why they never explain what the heck it means and why. But so will remain mine transl if i dont explain it first. Here goes:

1st of all the line is the chinese version of  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logos#Origins_of_the_termPhilo distinguished between logos prophorikos ("the uttered word") and the logos endiathetos ("the word remaining within").[11]

2nd it is the older version of the Yijing's formula for the dao: in one of the appendixes to the Book of Changes (Yijing), "one Yin and one Yang, this is the Dao."

3rd the point of this line (same as with the greeks) is to explain the origin of the world whereas the world IS speech, name , dao, logos

so the line is

there  is  spoken speech  道可/there  is unspoken speech 道非/ together they are the permanent dao 常道。

there are  named names  名可/ there are unnamed names 名非/ together they are the permanent name 常名。 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

… 道可 … 道非 … 常道。

… 名可 … 名非 … 常名。 

Thank you very much for elucidating, it is a very ingenious translation.

However, I prefer to use the oldest available text (MWD A). Your version does not comply with MWD A, which: 

1j splits up the characters in a different way:

道 可 道 也 

非 恆 道 也 

名 可 名 也 

非 恆 名 也 

http://www.daoisopen.com/downloads/CC1.pdf 

2) uses 恆 

恆 was the name of a later emperor. The taboo on the use of the emperor’s name, resulted in the substitution 常 

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

“That's gaslighting nonsense …”
https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/55713-full-description-of-methods-for-the-4-stages-of-internal-alchemy-in-book-internal-alchemy-for-everyone/?do=findComment&comment=1029317 

Yes, “Yae can't digest this fact” is just an ad hominem; it’s what some people use when they have no arguments left.

Edited by Cobie

2 hours ago, Cobie said:

I find that remark so condescending. 

2 hours ago, Cobie said:

Yes, “Yae can't digest this fact” is just an ad hominem; it’s what some people use when they have no arguments left.

are-you-not-thinking-what-im-not-thinking.png.cd53e5d74a778388f3f61f9daf6d88a9.png

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, silent thunder said:

Thank you for your feedback. Please note your logic is faulty:

-> Yae … <-  ad hominem directed at Yae (in the discussion)

-> I … <- my personal opinion (in my own thread)

Edited by Cobie

On 3/2/2024 at 4:01 AM, Taoist Texts said:

Sure why not. Of course the official translation is meaningless and thats why they never explain what the heck it means and why. But so will remain mine transl if i dont explain it first. Here goes:

1st of all the line is the chinese version of  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logos#Origins_of_the_termPhilo distinguished between logos prophorikos ("the uttered word") and the logos endiathetos ("the word remaining within").[11]

2nd it is the older version of the Yijing's formula for the dao: in one of the appendixes to the Book of Changes (Yijing), "one Yin and one Yang, this is the Dao."

3rd the point of this line (same as with the greeks) is to explain the origin of the world whereas the world IS speech, name , dao, logos

so the line is

there  is  spoken speech  道可/there  is unspoken speech 道非/ together they are the permanent dao 常道。

there are  named names  名可/ there are unnamed names 名非/ together they are the permanent name 常名。 

This is very interesting! Has anyone else put forward a reading like this? If your reading is correct, it might line up with something I noticed about Zhuangzi- many people notice Zhuangzi's skeptical attitude toward conventional language, and stop there, without noticing his idea of "goblet words", his expansive idea of language, speaking non-speech, that can indeed harmonize with the flowing character of life. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SirPalomides said:

This is very interesting! Has anyone else put forward a reading like this?

i am pretty certain that no one;)

20 minutes ago, SirPalomides said:

many people notice Zhuangzi's skeptical attitude toward conventional language, and stop there, without noticing his idea of "goblet words", his expansive idea of language, speaking non-speech, that can indeed harmonize with the flowing character of life. 

thats all true but the issue is ...what are these goblet words or this non-speech good for?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

thats all true but the issue is ...what are these goblet words or this non-speech good for?

According to the Records of the Snoring Goat there is a creature called the jibber-cat who lives in the western highlands whose head detaches in the moonlight and flies through the air, whispering into the ears of sleeping highwaymen. In the morning they awake and go robbing but they forego silk, gold, and jade, taking from the passersby only their stocks of salmon, carp, and milk.

So it is with words. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
On 29/03/2024 at 5:37 PM, Taoist Texts said:

Ah, I’d wondered about that. Kudos to you, it really is most ingenious. 

Edited by Cobie
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 27/03/2024 at 7:54 AM, Cobie said:

Yes, it didn't sit as well as it could have for me either. It was a sad conversation thread.

Edited by Dedicated
Thread not link.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

image.jpeg.aa20991eeb05060ed7e397d254bc235b.jpeg

:lol: When a con artist points at the moon, don’t take your eyes off the finger. :P

Edited by Cobie
  • Haha 1