zerostao

Muddying Man Festival

A taiji friend of mine goes every year.  We've been out of touch for quite a while, and then he wrote me just to renew the connection and plan a get-together, and among other options pitched BM to me -- with so much enthusiasm that I actually asked the I Ching if maybe it's time for me to overcome my own lack of enthusiasm for arid climates, large crowds, and zero control over noise level and finally give it a try.  The I Ching told me something about getting stuck in the mud.  I thought it was her metaphorical way to say "no," turned out it was literal.  This is the second time she gave me an answer that was to be taken literally.  The first time it was about getting stuck in a flood.

Hope people there will complete the adventure without major mishaps.    

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

@Taomeow

Thanks for sharing that. It made me chuckle, how I’ve also tried to interpret past messages from Dear Ol’ I Ching, to discovering, the message it gave was Literally Literal.

I heard or read, idk, that “escape” from BM is literally a six mile hike, and I saw a few saying they couldn’t believe someone actually walked that far, albeit, in the mud,,,and the heat,,

maybe in some allegory, escaping the escape festival, is challenging.

a six mile hike, ok, in the mud and the heat, still, I’m thinking, 

What the heck, if I were there, I’d stick it out, stuck in the mud and have the best time I could, doing whatever it was, I went there to do anyways, I sure wouldn’t feel stuck, though, six miles? Cmon folks, put one foot in front of the other, you ain’t stuck. Maybe, I heard it wrong, and it’s actually sixty miles, then I’d understand, it’s somewhat a sticky situation, to leave if I felt the need to, but a snack or two and a canteen of water,,,,,and a good stretch for sure, maybe if lucky, some interesting mirage to see,,,

why leave though, went there for the experience, so experience it,

Was it the Beatles who classically asked, Why Don’t We Do It In The Mud?!

possibly, a loose paraphrase on my part? 

also, I know in the past @thelerner spoke BM, I think he’s been to the event, are you there now, @thelerner ??

please update curious bums about your experience, if you are there or even if your not, I know, that You are a bum who finds themselves at interesting places at particular times, be it hurricane or BM, or??

dang it, I could be there, right now, showing off my mud stepping skill, hearing the whispers, “but why in circles, only circles”

missed opportunity for a unique experience,,,, oh, what might’ve occurred 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zerostao said:

@Taomeow

Thanks for sharing that. It made me chuckle, how I’ve also tried to interpret past messages from Dear Ol’ I Ching, to discovering, the message it gave was Literally Literal.

I heard or read, idk, that “escape” from BM is literally a six mile hike, and I saw a few saying they couldn’t believe someone actually walked that far, albeit, in the mud,,,and the heat,,

maybe in some allegory, escaping the escape festival, is challenging.

a six mile hike, ok, in the mud and the heat, still, I’m thinking, 

What the heck, if I were there, I’d stick it out, stuck in the mud and have the best time I could, doing whatever it was, I went there to do anyways, I sure wouldn’t feel stuck, though, six miles? Cmon folks, put one foot in front of the other, you ain’t stuck. Maybe, I heard it wrong, and it’s actually sixty miles, then I’d understand, it’s somewhat a sticky situation, to leave if I felt the need to, but a snack or two and a canteen of water,,,,,and a good stretch for sure, maybe if lucky, some interesting mirage to see,,,

why leave though, went there for the experience, so experience it,

Was it the Beatles who classically asked, Why Don’t We Do It In The Mud?!

possibly, a loose paraphrase on my part? 

also, I know in the past @thelerner spoke BM, I think he’s been to the event, are you there now, @thelerner ??

please update curious bums about your experience, if you are there or even if your not, I know, that You are a bum who finds themselves at interesting places at particular times, be it hurricane or BM, or??

dang it, I could be there, right now, showing off my mud stepping skill, hearing the whispers, “but why in circles, only circles”

missed opportunity for a unique experience,,,, oh, what might’ve occurred 

From what I heard, the main problem with staying there was not so much the mud as the, pardon me, shit.  Once port-a-potties were full to beyond capacity, vehicles that are supposed to move them in and out couldn't/weren't allowed to.  73 thousand people with no place to answer nature's call...  survival of the fitted, i.e. those who thought of taking with them a bucket with a fitted lid.  

Those who walked the six miles outta there asserted that the main problem was that it wasn't just mud but clay which sticks to itself in layers, is very slippery, and is irritating to the skin due to its high alkalinity.  Of course someone young and strong, or not so young but strong and healthy, would still do well should they want to walk out.  My friend, who used to be a heavyweight wrestler before switching to taiji decades ago, has had some serious knee issues, and his weight has been, well, considerable all his life, so I don't think he would walk out of there with ease, even though his taiji skill is extraordinary.  But of course I get what you're driving at.  A general lack of mental, physical, emotional and intellectual sturdiness is one of the signs of our dark times.   

• Like 2

In tough times or Calamity a separation becomes apparent; there are those who choose to fend for themselves only themselves, and there are those who become helpful to the ones who need a bit of help. And those who 90% of the time that offer helping hands have times, when they are in need of help themselves. 

Like I said, twenty twenty would reveal everyone’s true colors. And the same is true at Black Rock City today.

Every community or group has to find a way to deal with the shit if they are to become an ongoing thing. This is as basic as it gets. 

Ive never been to BM, it’s pretty much above my pay grade; in the past I have frequented the Family of Living Light when they set up camp near my neck of the woods, so it is similar. However, on a much smaller scale. It’s easier I think to set up properly for a couple hundred rather than70,000. Yet, the small gatherings have fewer folks to do what’s required than the larger group has to maintain kitchens, have first aid station,  clean water, and clean up.

My imagination of BM conjures up vibrant energy creative folks bent on having a good time/experience. 
And of course Black Rock City isn’t offline without signal. A fly over to drop supplies, I’m sure has been or is being arranged. Medical airlift if needed,, etc

should have been planned for, prior, in fact, in case of unexpected whatever.

One shouldn’t feel some stigma as being a prepped survivor before venturing to one’s adventure; a little common sense goes a long ways 

If I was just one percent tech-y I would post the meme of the Beastie Boys are releasing a five part anthology,,,

Being a little prepared for the unexpected keeps glamping glamping rather than devolving into base tribal, survival of the strong nightmares.

Life is short, they say, some fire balling preacher yesterday pulled out a timer to demonstrate that mine just as everyone else clock is ticking away , 

well kinda, I thought, none of us, way rare few know the appointed moment when expiration occurs. 

in the meanwhile, have enjoyable experiences not bad ones. Make good memories not bad ones.

we are all condemned to do our time. Do good time not bad time.

So, my imagination has that towering wooden effigy presiding over the camp, his court. That Burning Man watches, judges, those in attendance; how they deal with this up till the moment he flames out

• Like 1

I've been reading lately about antifragility, Nassim Talib's term for systems that emerge stronger after being stressed.  One of the principles for being antifragile is to build in redundancies, extra ways of doing stuff, like that bucket with a fitted lid Taomeow mentioned.  Another principle is to stay small.  It's easier to be flexible, agile, when you're small.  

I've never been to Burning Man although it's long intrigued me.  I do wonder though if the light of it's original inspiration has dimmed a bit given how huge it is nowadays: has Burning Man peaked?  It will be interesting to see how this year changes things going forward.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2023 at 11:11 AM, zerostao said:

:), I was able to cross direct hit by hurricane off my to do list. 

Not at Burning Man this year.   I feel a little regret.  Disasters can make indelible memories.  People get to be their best (or worst).  Like in Hurricane Irma we had 3 families in a 2 bedroom condo.  No power, no water..  yet I remember it fondly.  Raw power, up close.  

I tried for tickets to the smaller,  mellow regional Burning Man in Michigan (Lakes of Fire) this year.  Tickets used to be cheap and easy to get, not anymore.  Didn't get them.  

Don't know if its a secret but at the Big Burn there's almost always a death or two.  Often laying down on the desert floor admiring the night sky when a bird shaped art car runs over you and/or bad trip overdosi.  But keep your head, stay alert.. and your odds of making it out, are great.  Not this year apparently but in past.  

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

Well, our  'Lovefest' isnt that far away ;  long weekend  in October .  Now that weekend can flood here , but this year, looks dry .

But I remember 'mud festivals ' , our east border (of the property and the riverside festival site  has  low bridge , first to go under in the valley , so the potential for a lot of people to get stranded. But nothing like BM  !  ( which is why I would NEVER go to anything like that * . )

IMO BM is  OtT!   Its only a matter of time before it generates a 'human disaster  zone'  - if this isnt already one  .

I dont mind a group naked mud dance ( well, in the past ) , but after a week of that ..... urgggh !   Along with the incessant  drum 'rhythm' .

* a few years back  some group used our site for 'Australia's first Burning Man festival'  ... what a horrible disaster  - never again !

https://www.lovefestaustralia.com/bellingen

( I was talking to the Lovefest organiser a few days ago as he toured the site ... he asked what I thought about the 'Burning Man' event that was held here .  Me :  aside from the 'free alcohol' tent - with no age restriction or ID checks , and the horrible mess they left behind ... well, I been to a few festivals and out there events in my time ... yeah, you might see ONE big fat hairy bearded guy .... in a full wedding dress ..... but 4 of them ????  Is that 'a thing'   now ?  :wacko:  )

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

I thought this was an interesting and different take on this year's Burning Man: Escaping the Online Discourse to Burning Man, Then Escaping Burning Man (substack.com)

The media (including social media) sensationalize the hell out of everything. It's their disgusting job (or an equally disgusting hobby.)  It was no biggie for some, nasty enough for others, like most of life's unexpected difficulties.  The exodus part with many hours of alternating between standing in traffic and crawling with traffic seems like the most "nothing is worth it" part to me personally, but then I've had my share of brutal speeding tickets so I may not be the best judge of the virtue of pointless patience.  

The thing is, carnivals, express yourself and let it all hang out whole-community events happened with planned regularity not only for all tribal folks but even during what we call "the Dark Ages" in the civilized world, there was this understanding that a need to loosen up, get free and creative and let go of tight control builds up amidst the strictest restrictions and limitations of the daily life.  And, at the same time, letting off this pressurized steam from time to time facilitates better "handling" of those daily austerities in the default world.  Something like BM, ideally, should have been an event inclusive of everyone who is able and willing, free to participate in (gulp), ubiquitous, regular, much much smaller, and not confined to one of the most inhospitable environments on earth.  It used to be this way for centuries.  So I can understand the nostalgic vibe in those who long to experience it, it's in our blood.  But -- I hope those who are into this particular event will forgive me -- things we have as substitutes, this one including, fall way short IMO.  Then again, for some folks it's better than nothing ever of this nature.

By the way, I'm not particularly clear on why burning an innocent man should be perceived as a celebration of anything.  Or a guilty one for that matter.              

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

The thing is, carnivals, express yourself and let it all hang out whole-community events happened with planned regularity not only for all tribal folks but even during what we call "the Dark Ages" in the civilized world, there was this understanding that a need to loosen up, get free and creative and let go of tight control builds up amidst the strictest restrictions and limitations of the daily life.               

Yes!  Back in the day I used to go to Radical Fairie Gatherings, an event like Burning Man but limited to gay men (just as a guess -- more sex, less drugs, equally wild costuming).  While I enjoy hunkering down with my gay male tribe, perhaps there's something special about events like Burning Man that welcome everybody. Days can blend into one another and it's nice to punctuate life occasionally with a grand event that transports us out of the everyday.  Maybe there's a way to bring the Burning Man ethos home?  For me, it's been awhile. 

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2

On 9/6/2023 at 1:54 PM, liminal_luke said:

Maybe there's a way to bring the Burning Man ethos home?  For me, it's been awhile. 

There are a bunch of regional burns and decompression parties.  Official and unofficial.  In the Midwest, Michigan has Lakes of Fire.  Shorter time period, cheaper, less glitzy, more doable.  Fun but these days hard to get a ticket, sadly.  It was easier to get one to the Colorado Burn, though when I went there they were fireless(!) due to the state's drought.  Still fun though.  

• Like 1

I am right in the middle of 'Lovefest' here . Its very small ( compared to what we put on in the past ) , laid back , seems to have one event on at a time ( thank goodness ) , seems run by Brazilians   :D    , they are everywhere and on the crew .

Its drug and alcohol free yet, many of tghe things I see people doing seem to be about getting into a different state otherwise .

There are the touters (of their particular 'trades' )  going around trying to persuade young women they are offering just what they need.  My EGF and her daughter are here  , she has been reporting to me how many guys have tried .........    she went to a breath workshop and at one stage they 'partnered up ' and 'opened up' to the other about why they where there and what they wanted  ... she got a guy that  was  wanting love intimacy and relationship ... so she had to gently put him off  .    Oh well, I was wondering what they thought they where going to invoke with a name like that .

its nearly timer for me to go back down there .... and watch the group convulsion to music in the main  'tent' .

( Me ?    I hit a 'gold mine' .... no one considered what to do with organic waste ... they where told they had to take it home with them  (  :D  )    so I got some bins out, doing bin changes with my trailer and car  ,  also I got a huge mountain of mulch from the pre festival grass cut on the field .  Afterwards , I will go raid paddocks for heaps of cow poo .  I got a supply of other materials for it, including bio-dynamic compost preparations .

My 'pick up line ' at the festival :   "  Hi there , isnt it a beautiful day , are you having  fun ?  Ummm ...... what are you gonna do with those   food scraps there   ?   "

• Haha 1

Here is my 'Lovefest '  joke ;

A guy goes to Lovefest as he is really lonely and wants to  get a woman . He goes to the 'Breath connect' workshop and does the exercises and his whole psyche opens up and he is sitting there vulnerable, shaking and lonely . Then the ( Brazilian )  facilitator  instructs them to pair up with another and 'tell their hearts  truth' to each other . a beautiful radiant spiritual woman approaches him and asks him to pair with her - he cant believe his luck !  She says to him : " To be honest, my heart's truth is .... I came here to find a man , I cant  find one in my everyday life .... I have been so lonely and near desperate ! ."

The guy replies ; " I cant believe it !  Thats exactly why I came here too !  " and smiles at her .

The woman replies :  " OH NO !   ... not you though !   "

Edited by Nungali