On 2023/7/2 at 1:23 PM, Chang dao ling said:

What are the effects of visualisation meditation combined with mantra chanting ( according to Taoism)

Reluctant to say that both are trivial and futile tricks ,  hardly capable of leading people to anything great ..

On 02/07/2023 at 6:23 AM, Chang dao ling said:

What are the effects of visualisation meditation combined with mantra chanting ( according to Taoism)

It would depend on who you ask, and what they are doing it for

If you were to ask a Maoshan practitioner for example, they do use mudra, visualisation, mantras and talismans etc.

However, my understanding is that this is all somewhat impotent without tranmission and empowerment (and  in some cases literally becoming a vessel) as it pertains to this use

Another point is that this in the realm of magic,

It is somewhat divorced from meditation proper per se, It does require certain states to be reached. Trance would sometimes be one (trance is also not meditation, no matter how people throw that word around)

The second use you have is for those who use visualisation for concentration development. This can be useful, and there are practices taught for this purpose

Where there seems to be problems comes in is when people try to build dantiens and qi and move and open channels by imagining lights, tree roots rivers and scenery and all other manner of things.

This is something better avoided.

• Like 1

On every plane and subplane it is possible to develop the complete set of senses.

Development requires practice using the substance/energy of the target level of consciousness.  The energy is accumulated and then sense organs formed from that energy substance by continued practice.

In most humans the sense of touch is developed first - feeling the presence and nature of energies. 

Inner seeing and hearing generally take longer.   

Senses of smell and taste can be developed.  Smell may be particularly useful in testing the quality of visiting spirits

Edited by Lairg
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Shadow_self said:

It would depend on who you ask, and what they are doing it for

If you were to ask a Maoshan practitioner for example, they do use mudra, visualisation, mantras and talismans etc.

However, my understanding is that this is all somewhat impotent without tranmission and empowerment (and  in some cases literally becoming a vessel) as it pertains to this use

Another point is that this in the realm of magic,

It is somewhat divorced from meditation proper per se, It does require certain states to be reached. Trance would sometimes be one (trance is also not meditation, no matter how people throw that word around)

The second use you have is for those who use visualisation for concentration development. This can be useful, and there are practices taught for this purpose

Where there seems to be problems comes in is when people try to build dantiens and qi and move and open channels by imagining lights, tree roots rivers and scenery and all other manner of things.

This is something better avoided.

Maoshan is a magical sect right? Can you tell me about maoshan 

7 hours ago, Chang dao ling said:

Maoshan is a magical sect right? Can you tell me about maoshan 

Yes Maoshan is more in the realm of sorcery and magic,

I can discuss the little bit I know about it, but its not something I am overly concerned with regards practice.

What exactly is it you'd like to know?

I do like to understand some of the mechanics (for example, how talismans work, and certain rituals), but practically speaking, magic isnt really my forte

Edited by Shadow_self

15 hours ago, Shadow_self said:

What exactly is it you'd like to know?

I want to know their meditation method and stages and experiences. I am experiencing a magnetic pulling sensation in upper dantian. My meditation method is visualisation meditation with mantra chanting. In agna chakra ( upper dantian) i visualise lord Narayana ( a major deity in Hinduism) . 

Edited by Chang dao ling

6 hours ago, Chang dao ling said:

I want to know their meditation method and stages and experiences.

Maoshan is a lineage, it has various methods and whatnot, and these would depend on what one is trying to achieve

Far I can understand, it relies a lot more on transmissions, rituals, mantras, talismans and calling upon various "beings"

For example, someone might be required to wear a fu on their body for an extended period of time, to allow it to alter the energetics of the body and have the desired effect

It also has neigong etc

There are some very  powerful methods within the schools with actual abilities, and a lot of work is done with the upper field and central channel

I am experiencing a magnetic pulling sensation in upper dantian.

Not uncommon when trying to visualise things, it basically sends qi into the head.

Not really a helpful thing to do if one is is a beginner in my opinion.

Lots of people who practiced the Kunlun method (derived from a Maoshan sect) worked with the upper center and had a lot of issues

For the vast majority of people, better to work with the lower field, and work their way up in time

My meditation method is visualisation meditation with mantra chanting. In agna chakra ( upper dantian) i visualise lord Narayana ( a major deity in Hinduism) . 

Ajna Chakra and the Upper Dantien are different things, they are separate.

The physical correlates are in and around a similar region (the latter covers more area), but they exist on different frequency (there are some tethers) 

Edited by Shadow_self
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shadow_self said:

For the vast majority of people, better to work with the lower field,

I don't have a teacher can i start meditation on lower dantian?

2 hours ago, Chang dao ling said:

I don't have a teacher can i start meditation on lower dantian?

You need to reconsolidate/build the dantien,  it disperses after you hit puberty.

Theres a ton of free material online that anyone can use to get started with a practice, no teacher required.

Heres a video which explains some of the mechanics 

And here is a playlist of good exercises you can work on to get started. Theres actually a video in there on how to locate the LDT (video 5 and about the false and true LDT)

There are also some excellent talks here on Nathan Brines channel. His talk on pore breathing is interesting

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Shadow_self said:

You need to reconsolidate/build the dantien,  it disperses after you hit puberty.

Theres a ton of free material online that anyone can use to get started with a practice, no teacher required.

Heres a video which explains some of the mechanics 

And here is a playlist of good exercises you can work on to get started. Theres actually a video in there on how to locate the LDT (video 5 and about the false and true LDT)

There are also some excellent talks here on Nathan Brines channel. His talk on pore breathing is interesting

Thanks very much brother

• Thanks 1