Kojiro

What is your favourite fruit?

Rose apples. One of the most common and widely eaten fruit in Southeast Asia. This is a recent harvest from a friend's garden. 

Screenshot_20230412-132121_Facebook.thumb.jpg.3292d83274aaa3ddb9b2424eaa61086f.jpg

• Like 5

Silly me, i thought mangoes were specially good for summer since they are very juicy, with abundant fresh water. They have like a mix of sweetness and acidity that I love! 

• Like 1

Damp Heat was my main condition I had to deal with throughout my practice. Lots of practice, a huge lifestyle change, a great weight loss, and several other changes including diet and sexual behaviour (celibacy). 

Yes I was aware of the other fruits you mentioned. I do not eat any of them in the warmer months. No fruit in winter, zero.

Edit: it's crucial to take into account your animal sign and your TCM constitution before eating any foods to avoid upsetting your internal energetics. This goes for all FOODS. 

Edited by Gerard

Some fruits are said to increase heat, like grapes. Others will cool you, like oranges. It happens to me clearly after eating some navels

Edited by Kojiro

4 hours ago, Gerard said:

Edit: it's crucial to take into account your animal sign and your TCM constitution before eating any foods to avoid upsetting your internal energetics. This goes for all FOODS. 

What do dragons eat? ))

52 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

What do dragons eat? ))

Naturally....

Screenshot_20230412-223803_Google.jpg.28fd7da1064b3651d9e76aaee22e171d.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, C T said:

Naturally....

Screenshot_20230412-223803_Google.jpg.28fd7da1064b3651d9e76aaee22e171d.jpg

That's what Eastern dragons eat.  Western dragons eat virgin maidens and, with luck, knights attempting to save them.  

• Haha 2

what about these pitayas or dragon fruits? The other day I saw them in the supermarket for the first time in my life, I have never eaten one. Should I give them a try? :)

40 minutes ago, Kojiro said:

what about these pitayas or dragon fruits? The other day I saw them in the supermarket for the first time in my life, I have never eaten one. Should I give them a try? :)

I saw them for the first time when they served them on a plane en route from Guangzhou to Xi'an.  As an airplane meal they wowed me, but I had them a number of times since then and they didn't become a favorite.  They are pleasant but I found the taste rather one-dimensional (so to speak) unlike the striking appearance.    

• Like 1

Just now, Taomeow said:

I saw them for the first time when they served them on a plane en route from Guangzhou to Xi'an.  As an airplane meal they wowed me, but I had them a number of times since then and they didn't become a favorite.  They are pleasant but I found the taste rather one-dimensional (so to speak) unlike the striking appearance.    

The red variety I would use to make smoothies. Love the deep colour, and the supposedly enhanced benefit intensely-coloured fruits provide. Because of its rather bland nature, I'd add a teaspoon of honey, teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil (courtesy of Western dragons) and squeeze in a few drops of lemon/lime or calamansi juice. 

• Thanks 1

the color of the dragon fruit is very beautiful and impressive. Some say that the color of the fruit is important too and provide benefits. Phytonutrients are the chemicals which give the color to the fruit. But the color can not be measured like the mineral salts or the sugar, so it has not been as studied by scientists. I am of the opinion that is more important than many people think. Also the taste is important of course, there are so many intangible things which are worthy of attention although not easily measurable. The essence of each fruit is difficult to study but it is what makes it that specific fruit. The whole is always greater than the sum of its parts

Edited by Kojiro
  • Like 3

Strikingly sweet this year (water tiger has helped that). I have been eating them daily for the past month and a half but they are short-lived as won't last long at the fruit shop. They probably don't grow as much as apples or oranges.

Australia. No idea about other countries.

I'm talking about the white flesh variety. There are other two: red and yellow flesh. More expensive and a slightly different taste and also better. 

Grapes aren't warming fruits. They are neutral. I enjoy the black muscat variety. Very sweet and with seeds. I don't eat genetically modified fruit; eg. seedless grapes.

• Like 2

I have eaten dragon fruit for the first time. Indeed a very good fruit, maybe not my favorite but very good. It is soft and nice, like a young coquette girl. Do not expect hard sex from her, as she has not experience yet and is shy, but she will be tender. A clean fruit, easy to digest and palatable. It is just not strong enough, its taste isn't "powerful" but soft like a sweet well made cream.

Edited by Kojiro

Why did nobody say that their favorite fruit is an orange? a good navel is one of the great fruits, specially when the weather is hot. So simple and delicious (and cheap)! Also it is a very healthy fruit, rich in vitamins and mineral salts, specially vitamin c, calcium, potassium and magnesium.

Edited by Kojiro
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Kojiro said:

Why did nobody say that their favorite fruit is an orange? a good navel is one of the great fruits, specially when the weather is hot. So simple and delicious (and cheap)! Also it is a very healthy fruit, rich in vitamins and mineral salts, specially vitamin c, calcium, potassium and magnesium.

I think something happened to oranges.  I used to enjoy them very much, but I hardly ever come across ones that taste "right" anymore.  Yes, even "organic."  Even my favorite blood oranges.  Sometimes I can still score at a farmers' market (but I don't have the patience to look for a parking spot for half an hour every time, so I don't often go there either anymore).  When that happens, once in a blue moon, I remember, with delight, what a real orange tastes like.  

It's hard for an absolute sucker for "real" to live in today's world.  When all those discussions about "the nature of reality" happen here or elsewhere, I'm always tempted to offer, "you can tell by the taste and fragrance of it."  Appearances are deceptive, and 'thoughts about,' more so.  But smell it and taste it and all kinds of inside information -- genetic to experiential -- get activated.  Unless those have long been stripped of exposure to the real (in every possible sense) and atrophied.  But for better or for worse, mine haven't.  

• Like 4

Recently I have heard from some nutrition and health gurus that the dark colored fruits are more "powerful and cleansing" than the light colored. Fruits like black grapes, black cherries, dark berries, pomegranates, etc., are thus considered better than oranges, apples or pears. I myself am not sure about this idea. Even though I consider the color of the fruit to be very important, I think it is probably better to eat a variety of colors, but I don't know if the darker varieties are better as they say. David Wolfe even says that this idea is in accord with the daoist teaching that the dark food is the best source of energy. What is your opinion about that? do you think the color of the fruit is important too? do you think the dark and black colors are "stronger"?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kojiro said:

Recently I have heard from some nutrition and health gurus that the dark colored fruits are more "powerful and cleansing" than the light colored. Fruits like black grapes, black cherries, dark berries, pomegranates, etc., are thus considered better than oranges, apples or pears. I myself am not sure about this idea. Even though I consider the color of the fruit to be very important, I think it is probably better to eat a variety of colors, but I don't know if the darker varieties are better as they say. David Wolfe even says that this idea is in accord with the daoist teaching that the dark food is the best source of energy. What is your opinion about that? do you think the color of the fruit is important too? do you think the dark and black colors are "stronger"?

Like you, I think consuming foods and fruits/veggies of different colours is more beneficial. The Japanese Go- Syuku dietary approach, to me, makes most sense. 

• Like 2

Paw paw is a fruit bearing tree native to North America. It's in the custard apple family and is the largest edible fruit endemic to North America. The technical name Asimina triloba comes from the Powhatan word Assimina which was their name for the fruit. The word pawpaw probably comes from early Spanish or Portuguese explorers likening the fruit to papaya. 

They are rarely seen for sale commercially due to short half life which makes storage and shipping problematic.

The fruit has a custardy texture with a flavor profile that can range from banana to cantaloupe to mango, even a bit like pineapple. 

Pawpaws are America's hidden edible treasure. Here's how to pick them.

Pawpaw Lassi | Edible Columbus

• Like 2

Pineapple guava (feijoa):

Buy Fragrant Pineapple Guava Plant | FREE SHIPPING | Wilson Bros Gardens |  3 Gallon Pot

I like it by itself too -- the flavor is reminiscent of a mix of pineapple and strawberries -- the skin is a bit "piney" but you don't need to eat that if you don't like it, you can scoop out the inner part (got to be very ripe) -- but it positively shines as a preserve (if you don't mind such a thing), which can be made raw, without cooking, and doesn't spoil in the fridge for many months due to a high content of iodine.  In some parts the preserves are used to treat sore throats, thyroid disease, and even radiation exposure.   

Has anyone mentioned pomegranates yet?  When they're good, they're very, very good.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Taomeow said:

Has anyone mentioned pomegranates yet?  When they're good, they're very, very good.   

One of my absolute favorites since childhood!

I have fond memories of my face and hands being covered in the astringent juice... 

• Like 2

The pomegranate is perhaps the most widely mentioned fruit in religious texts of both the East and the West. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, C T said:

The pomegranate is perhaps the most widely mentioned fruit in religious texts of both the East and the West. 

Really? I expected it would be apples or grapes or maybe figs. Never thought it would be pomegranate!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kojiro said:

Really? I expected it would be apples or grapes or maybe figs. Never thought it would be pomegranate!

Some linguists assert that "apple" in the bible is a mistranslation and that the fruit of the original was a pomegranate.  I think the story might be true (don't remember the linguistic proof, read it a long time ago) because the inner structure of the pomegranate seems to visually tell the story of the structure of the universe more obviously -- at least to me it does. 

As for why it would confer the knowledge of good and evil, I think the plot thickens...  Each little juicy thingie inside (google tells me it's called an "aril"), sweet and pretty, contains a hard little pit, on the bitter side.  Yang within yin, in a different tradition.  If you were to grow the seed, that yang would burst out and turn into a tree that would bear fruit that would again contain yang skin on the surface ("yang embracing yin" in our tradition), yin arils with yang centers inside, and so on.  There's a new pomegranate tree in every yin-yang aril.  Also, each is more or less structured like the womb, watery medium with a fetus inside.  Why this kind of knowledge would tantamount to the knowledge of good and evil in the eyes of the old testament god, and why its revelation to Adam and Eve would anger him -- I guess one would have to ask him, I can only hypothesize.          

• Like 2