dino

(documentary) Wudang Kung Fu successor Zhong Yunlong

I like the outfits and the topknots! :) 

These outfits are very popular with Chinese audiences who have a voracious appetite for historical costume dramas!

• Haha 1

On 22/01/2023 at 8:29 PM, dino said:

nice documentary,i like his cave.

These guys are very fit, with good conditioning and clearly a high level of acrobatic skill…

But Wudang has become a kind of theme park of ‘culture’… hence the fancy outfits - it’s kinda like the Shaolin monks that train for performance rather than for genuine spiritual cultivation… it’s for show. I’ve visited the place - I know people that were unfortunate enough to train there…

Wudang historically was steeped in alchemical practice - these wushu style martial arts are a relatively new thing… an old dude sitting quietly doesn’t do much for tourism - acrobatic performances and great outfits do!

13 hours ago, freeform said:

These guys are very fit, with good conditioning and clearly a high level of acrobatic skill…

But Wudang has become a kind of theme park of ‘culture’… hence the fancy outfits - it’s kinda like the Shaolin monks that train for performance rather than for genuine spiritual cultivation… it’s for show. I’ve visited the place - I know people that were unfortunate enough to train there…

Wudang historically was steeped in alchemical practice - these wushu style martial arts are a relatively new thing… an old dude sitting quietly doesn’t do much for tourism - acrobatic performances and great outfits do!

what is yout thoughts on this video @freeform  ?

10 minutes ago, dino said:

what is yout thoughts on this video @freeform  ?

Im familiar with the temple yes…

Again - it’s the same situation - these physical feats - although they take great skill and discipline.

But why do it?

This sort of conditioning might be useful for a fighter… but is it better than taking blows in normal combative sparring?

I believe it's for performance (that’s why the outfits) - to impress people - make money and create ‘cultural value’ for the CCP.

It’s like going to visit the tribal people in northern Thailand - they dress up in traditional clothes, do traditional looking stuff in traditional looking huts - you take a few photos, give out some money - then they go to their real home, put on their real clothes and go about their real work.

13 minutes ago, dino said:

or this?

All the bagua is external… all the ceremonial stuff is relatively modern and is not based on Nei Dan - which is what was traditionally practiced in Wudang.

5 minutes ago, dino said:

5:26 BAGUAZHANG on a bamboo sticks final level,nice

Impressive acrobatic skill again.

Still completely ‘external’ - done for show or for preserving tradition (not Wudang tradition)

Edited by freeform

Just now, freeform said:

Impressive acrobatic skill again.

Still completely ‘external’ - done for show.

thanks,i just like to see what other people are doing...

• Like 1

Don’t get me wrong - I think it’s impressive stuff. I’m very much pro developing g physical strength and skill!

What they’re doing is akin to the modern performance callisthenics movement in the west - like this sort of stuff:

It’s super impressive and takes a lot of skill and dedication.

But it’s not spiritual… and it has little to do with cultivation or working with Qi - even though that’s what they say.

• Like 1

So much mythologizing...

Like the supposed Daoist origins of Tai Chi Chuan. They would have you believe it was invented on Wudang mountain by Zhang Sanfeng. When Yang Luchan pirated the Chen village style, which many martial arts historians now think was heavily influenced by the nearby (Buddhist) Shaolin temple. And Yang Luchan never even called his art Tai Chi when he arrived at the imperial court. It went by a variety of names: neutralizing fist, soft fist etc. The Tai Chi moniker – with its Daoist associations – came from an educated courtier.

But who needs truth when you can buy the myth?

• Like 1