Sign in to follow this  
Kaihe

Sifu Yuan Xiu Gang, Wudang

I studied with this sifu at Wudang in 2007 and 2009. Are there others here who have been here as well?

It was an awful experience for me. The level of teaching was very low and cost lot of money.

• Sad 1

One of the many communist ‘cultural heritage’ plants around China…

Ive never trained with him, but heard bad stuff sadly. Well done for recognising the issues - many don’t.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, freeform said:

One of the many communist ‘cultural heritage’ plants around China…

Ive never trained with him, but heard bad stuff sadly. Well done for recognising the issues - many don’t.

Ive heard it said theres nothing of value left around Wudang

Some people spoke of the Five Immortals temple having lineage backing. They seem very heavily invested in the cultural and ritualistic aspects of it rather than the practice too. Temple life I guess?

I do like some of the Stuff Lindsey Wei Does, her Yang Sheng Gong set is a nice way to get moving in the morning :) 

Adding the YJJ principles and proper Dao Yin breathing (where it applies) really does give it life IMO though...

Without it...I suppose thats at ones own discretion :) 

Regards the cultural stuff, Its interesting that the Westerners like Damo for example, take the opposite approach. Many people don't take kindly to this separation of the wheat from the chaff,

I quite appreciate it though :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Shadow_self said:

I do like some of the Stuff Lindsey Wei Does, her Yang Sheng Gong set is a nice way to get moving in the morning

Are you seriously saying those knee rotations in the first video are a good idea?

We must have different knees :o

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Are you seriously saying those knee rotations in the first video are a good idea?

I don't practice those ones but they seem to emphasize the hips and just more, from what I can gather.  Her shins don't seem to be moving all that much in a way that could strongly damage knees (though I think that's because her hips are already pretty open)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Depends :) 

The course is pretty cheap though if you wanted to give it a whirl :)

Sometimes its nice to have a moving set that isnt as complex as say taiji or Bagua :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wilhelm said:

I don't practice those ones but they seem to emphasize the hips and just more, from what I can gather.  Her shins don't seem to be moving all that much in a way that could strongly damage knees (though I think that's because her hips are already pretty open)

Hmm… Just watched it again…

I see what you’re saying, and in the 2nd of the two there is definitely a lot of hip opening coming into play. But even in that one, to my eye, when she comes inside her knees and toes are out of alignment.

And the first one is the classic dojo warm-up that I’m wary of.

I’ve always been taught that the knee joint is designed to flex in one plane alone, and that ignoring it is to risk dire consequences…

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Shadow_self said:

Depends :) 

The course is pretty cheap though if you wanted to give it a whirl :)

Sometimes its nice to have a moving set that isnt as complex as say taiji or Bagua :)

Thanks for the tip :)

Giving it a whirl indeed :D If you can pull off those knee rotations every morning, more power to you!

I think I’d wind up in hospital :lol:

Sign in to follow this