Sign in to follow this  
el_tortugo

Scientists peered into an octopus' brain — and were astonished at what they saw

"Philosopher Peter Godfrey-Smith has called the octopus the closest thing to an alien that we might encounter on Earth, and their bizarre anatomy speaks to this: An octopus' mind isn't concentrated in its head but spread throughout its body. Their tentacles are packed with neurons that endow each one with a hyperaware sense of touch, as well as the ability to smell and taste. Marine biologists have remarked that each tentacle sometimes seems like it has a mind of its own. Every octopus is a tactile thinker, constantly manipulating its surroundings with a body so soft it almost seems liquid."

https://www.salon.com/2021/11/23/scientists-peered-into-octopus-brains--and-were-astonished-at-what-they-saw/ 

Octopus (Getty Images/sko)

• Like 3

Yes, they are fascinating creatures indeed. Just sad that learning about them inevitably involves cutting them open for those scientists interested in them.

How about a news line: 'Octopusses peered into a scientist's brain - and were shocked at what they saw' - for a change.

scary-octopus-hugs-human-skull-600w-1258

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 4

Octopus is one of my magical animals .   I had very interesting experience with them , handled them , even our deadly venomous ones  ( as a small child , very young ,  back then we didnt even know we had a venomous ones )

The blue ring octopus  - beautiful !   (That's why little Nungers started picking them up . )

Blue-Ringed-octopus.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 4

My local city has a very interesting marine reserve

https://parksaustralia.gov.au/marine/parks/temperate-east/solitary-islands/

They have a research centre with an aquarium , open for tours or to the public on a Sunday .   Checked it out , cool . Then a young woman says " I am going to feed the octopus , wanna watch ? "   Sure ! 

" Sometimes we put his food in things to see if he can work the puzzle out , but other times , he is a cheeky one ! When I am leaning over the tank , looking at what he is doing he comes up to the surface and squirts me in the face . " 

:) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My Stepmom and Father built a house on Cayman Island many years ago.  They had it for a couple decades before selling it.

Using bits of broken hard corral that would wash up on their property after storms, she made several makeshift structures in the channels formed between these grass covered sand burms in the shallows just off shore in front of their place.

Several young Octopi took up residence in them and got used to our daily snorkeling comings and goings.  Occasionally we'd bring a few remnant scraps of fish to share and they'd come out and play a bit.  Absolutely compelling beings.  The manner in which they'd explore our hands, then arms, then faces, masks, flippers, riding along sometimes while I cruised the maze of channeled burms... then one day "ooh, what's this?"  (the leg hole of my swim trunks)

"Hey mate that's Dunnwannago!  As in you dunnwannago there..."

One of the most fascinating creatures on the planet.  Island lore said the Creator, upon seeing the abilities and intelligence of Octopi, limited their lives to 2-3 years, just to give the rest of the critters on the planet a sporting chance.  Looking back I wish I'd spent more time with them instead of heading out passed the break to deeper waters.

If you are into Octopi at all, I recommend the documentary on Netflix My Octopus Teacher, give it a watch!  I found it remarkable.  Particularly in that the man sharing the story found an inroad to spiritual insight of his inner life through his relationship with one Octopus in particular.  It came at a time when he was a bit lost in life, had no drive for his career, family, etc.  Real challenging time.

The connection he made revitalized him and brought him deep insights he'll carry the rest of his life.

Good stuff all around.

My-Octopus-Teacher-2.jpg

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 5

Well , I GOTTA tell this story here .

Had a giant burly big brother , was one of those bronzed Aussie Surf Life Savers , and surf boat rower / sweep  ( sweep is the back steering oar  )

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAn6KPfvWE7EHI2OLjLM8

Him and his mates 'clubbies' we used to call them  ( and the rivals of the 'surfies' )  got into a habit of picking on me  when I went to the beach . It started to get out of hand and I realised if I didnt bite back hard enough , they would not back off .

One time, I had just picked up a fairly big octopus from a rock pool and noticed the surf boat riding a wave to shore so I walked , with 'puss  over to the lading spot . They did the usual ; hoicking the boat upside down and  standing on either side  put the gunwale on their shoulders and grab it with both hands as well ( to try and take some pressure off the shoulder , they are heavy ).

Then they march up the beach taking the boat into the club house  , parading in front of all the bikini girls  ( who just happen to like sun baking at that particular spot :D )  in their  'scungies'  and little caps .

1b391b8f8654b70e646a1534f756363168d8eef2

The Aussie scungie  aka ' budgie smugglers' .

I know how helpless you are in that position . I waited until they were about half way up the beach, ran in , hooked a finger in the top of his scungies , pulled them out as far as I could, flung the octopus in,  let them snap back and legged it .

I took a few glances back ;   he starts doing a little dance  .....   he has to reach down and his side of the boat is collapsing  , his mates are yelling " Hold yer side up ..... what the hell ya doing . "   .....   a collapse and the boat lands on them  ......   a parting view of my brother  on his back on the sand convulsing , his mates around trying to assist but very reluctant to , trying to grab the octopus , but not what t has wrapped itself around .

I didnt get hassled any more , well , one of them tried it on once , I pointed at him and said ' Remember the octopus ! '

No more probs  :) 

• Haha 1

on a different note there is a sci-fi movie called "Life" about an alien octopus like creature that is super smart and super malicious.  It takes over an orbiting spacecraft that picked it up as a speck of mars dust after which it quickly gets bigger on the ship!  I wont say much more but movie turns very scary (with aspects of things that could happen with actual space exploration) if things get out of hand !!

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this