Seeking

"Opening" and "Closing" - What is it? How do you define it? How do you do it?

Genuinely wondering about this as there seems to be no clear cut definition/process of these two fundamental terms. Intended in a Qigong context but feel free to interpret however you feel.

I think by sharing your own perspective you may be surprised by what others have to say. Together we can all learn as the basics are the key to everything. Don't you think?

Edited by Seeking

This questions seems so general as to be really hard to answer.  In what context are you talking about opening and closing?  In a martial arts context?  In a meditative context?  In a social setting?

Can you be more specific?

Edited by SAMANTABHADRA

I'd prefer to here people express their insight/interpretation in their own words as it relates to their own experience. It generates far better discussion that way, wouldn't you agree? Especially as we are talking about the internal foundations of a practice here and ones so easy to overlook by beginners.

It can be considered differently at different levels/layers. At the physiological level, it can be viewed as a series of differentials. Like polarity in a battery. Say you are holding a posture like ward off in taijiquan, the joints/in your body will be set up as a chain/series of differentials, alternating as open/closed/open/closed. Michael Phillips had an excellent video on that from more than a decade ago. 

Spoiler

Watch from 2:23 in this video. 

At higher levels, it means something else/more "internal". 

Edited by dwai
  • Like 1

That is very good and just what I mean. It came up in a conversation and everyone had totally different interpretations of what it actually is in real world application to a form. I thought it would be interesting to hear what everyone on here interpreted it as.

As you said there are different levels which create different meanings/subtleties. A very intriguing aspect of cultivation as its ever present invisibility means its often overlooked so lets draw attention to it and discuss the meaning. The correct use of open/close can also mean the difference between an effective practice and a complete waste of time because once you feel the difference you quickly realize why its the key.

I find it odd that its spoken of or elaborated so little. I do think that those who get it naturally think others will as well. Those who don't on the other hand have no idea of what they're missing. This makes it a very fruitful discussion as one learns and teaches simultaneously. 

1 hour ago, Seeking said:

That is very good and just what I mean. It came up in a conversation and everyone had totally different interpretations of what it actually is in real world application to a form. I thought it would be interesting to hear what everyone on here interpreted it as.

As you said there are different levels which create different meanings/subtleties. A very intriguing aspect of cultivation as its ever present invisibility means its often overlooked so lets draw attention to it and discuss the meaning. The correct use of open/close can also mean the difference between an effective practice and a complete waste of time because once you feel the difference you quickly realize why its the key.

It really boils down to the level of "awareness" an individual has in the process/practice. For someone who is simply learning the physical movements/postures, talking about opening/closing is moot -- they will simply not understand what is being conveyed. Once the individual has learned the physical movements/postures, then inner details can be expounded/described. Is the individual aware of their fascial web? If so, do they have a semblance of control over that?  If so, how well integrated is it within their body? Opening and closing come into play at that point, at a physiological level. 

Once this is understood, they can understand and produce the skill required to manifest the effects of said opening/closing. With that, their level of sensitivity will go up. They can now feel qi tangibly, they are aware of how energy moves in spirals. The process of spiraling is also a series of differentials of opening and closing but at a subtler level. 

There is opening and closing at the mental level too. The mind when attached to an idea/thought/concept/feeling is closed. When it is not attached to anything, it is open. 

It works at the dantien level too -- the dantien opens and closes in a cyclical manner. 

That series of interconnected, branching differentials works at many many levels, progressing that way out of emptiness (inner) into emptiness (outer). 

1 hour ago, Seeking said:

I find it odd that its spoken of or elaborated so little. I do think that those who get it naturally think others will as well. Those who don't on the other hand have no idea of what they're missing. This makes it a very fruitful discussion as one learns and teaches simultaneously. 

My first teacher wouldn't talk about this stuff in a general class setting, because the class would have students at different levels of skill/development. When I started attending private lessons with him, he shared more and more, as time progressed and my skill/understanding improved. 

Open and Close refers to the fundamental characteristic of the Universe which is pulsing. WHile you cultivate, you find this quality of pulsing everywhere from physical movements to stillness meditation. It is fun to observe.