Trunk

Iron Ring training

I’m kinda thinking with the release of “Shang-Chi and the Ten Rings” that interest will peak again re: iron ring training, which I’ve never done.  ... but it might be interesting w/ vibrating & whipping palms some day ( @zerostao, @spiraltao ?). Anyone have any experience training with iron rings?

Some yrs back, “Kung Fu Hustle” 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Trunk said:

I’m kinda thinking with the release of “Shang-Chi and the Ten Rings” that interest will peak again re: iron ring training, which I’ve never done.  ... but it might be interesting w/ vibrating & whipping palms some day ( @zerostao, @spiraltao ?). Anyone have any experience training with iron rings?

Some yrs back, “Kung Fu Hustle” 

Wow !  Those magic rings seem to have super magnets that turn on and off .... like when an axe or a sword strike is 'blocked' with the forearm perpendicular to the angle of attack !   They all bunch together and do not separate ... yet at other times they jungle up and down the arm - separated .   

Maybe they could be used as a training aid of sorts ... considering their weight .

I prefer the more sensible use of  1 ring  ;

and many of these strikes can be done with the ring still on the wrist .

However if I ever have to fight anyone wielding a ring  .... I much prefer ;

147951-1532336916.jpg

and I am prepared to die  in that fight !   ( via snu snu , that is )

I The movie clips are dramatized fantasy.  The rings are used primarily for training (not weaponry).

It’s always seemed an interesting idea to add a little bit of weight to qigong training, but holding onto light dumbbells while doing qigong is kinda klunky.

Here’s a non-fantasy video. :ph34r:

P.s.

My curiosity is especially how they’d affect the results of sinew-changing types of methods, movements.

... but I’ve no direct experience with these, so I’m quite open to whatever someone says who has a bit of direct experience.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Trunk said:

My curiosity is especially how they’d affect the results of sinew-changing types of methods, movements.

I suspect it depends on what the sinew changing method is applied towards. 

There are certainly weighted additions in many internal arts - taiji has the jian (as well as sabre and long spear)… bagua has the deer-horn knives.

I know some teachers use weights and even scales against a wall to further train the strength of Jin (Mark Rasmus has some videos).

The examples in the video (posted above) are all very much ‘external’.

For a non martial application, weights have never come up in my training specifically for the Yi Jin Jing process.

I’ve used a weighted vest and ankle and wrist weights for basic bodyweight exercises though… when I tried to do internal stuff with them on, the depth of release never went to the bone, but stayed on the surface - so I never found it helpful.

What would be interesting to me would be some way to very incrementally dial up gravity :) would be fun to release into that - as I imagine song could still go deep and the separation of muscle and bone - and the resulting tension in the deep layers of fascia would be helpful. Or maybe I just miss the torturous aspect of standing practice 😬

Edited by freeform
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2