TranquilTurmoil

Making sense: How to combine emptiness and compassion?

I used to attach imperial importance to thinking... it was my life.  Ruminating, pondering, questioning, answering... seeking better answers, obtaining certainty, wrestling with doubt.  Decades passed in this manner.

And then, seemingly spontaneously one day, decades ago, my mind pond hosted this thought 'out of the blue'.

"Just because you thought it and felt strongly about it...

does not make it relevant, real, significant, or true.

they're just thoughts.

Don't believe everything you think"

They're just thoughts.  We have 60-90k of them daily. 

One may wind one's entire life among such side paths...

Here's one thought that arose from who knows where that i still cherish.

Muddiest waters

Undisturbed by processing

rest in clarity.

edit: 

What practice is more complete, more encompassing and revealing of true nature than to simply abide as is, here and now?  Raw presence is where it's at for me of late.

Edited by silent thunder
changed wording and added a bit
  • Like 1

@silent thunder I’m currently trying to rest in awareness as much as possible/is optimal… but if I merely did that all day I might burn out or become agitated as I’m in a place of limited mental strength and concentration. Thus I take music as a refuge, the self expression associated with that, and follow the contemplative impulse very often (which isn’t necessarily healthy, but I don’t want to subjugate my personality/spirit at this moment in time). I hope to shift towards less contemplation, more abiding… but I do also need emotional release. Balance is key 

Hey TT.

i am not promoting anything as a path, or recommending anything others should utilize.

Just sharing.  No implications aside from how the topic brought forth this bit of musing in my mind.

Truth be told, any of my musings and insights here could be considered like the sound of bird chatter, or a stream.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

Hey TT.

i am not promoting anything as a path, or recommending anything others should utilize.

Just sharing.  No implications aside from how the topic brought forth this bit of musing in my mind.

Truth be told, any of my musings and insights here could be considered like the sound of bird chatter, or a stream.

Indulge my spontaneous association from Zhaungzi:

"The spoken isn't just bits of wind. In the spoken, something is spoken. But what it is never stays fixed and constant. So is something spoken, or has n othing ever been spoken? People think we're different from baby birds cheeping, but are we saying any more than they are?

How could Way be so hidden that there's true and false? How could the spoken be so hidden that there's yes this and no that? How could Way leave and exist no more? How could the spoken exist and be insufficient? These days, Way is hidden in small realizations and the spoken is hidden in florid extravagance so we have philosphies.... declaring yes this and no that. They each affirm what the other denies, deny what the other affirms. If you what to affirm all that they deny and deny all that they affirm, you can't beat illimuniation

:D

Update: before (Form is no other than emptiness)IMG_20210714_231854.thumb.jpg.462301782ee8786608694d8a9c89b24b.jpg

After: (Emptiness is no other than form :D)

16267456033735930504878551117523.thumb.jpg.2a4ef2ea112b610ba04e359692d8ac77.jpg

Forgive the low-quality images, my iphone pics don't usually upload.. And in case you are wondering, no barbers were harmed in the making of these photos, but that was my first haircut I've ever given myself

• Like 1