Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

two floppy drives at first - and next came 10mb hard drives!  (a system I had at one time and which are now worth good  money as collectors item)

 

download.jpg.73dfd067c2a0cdead292930322d9deda.jpg

 

(I got an updated 8086 16bit system for real power and serious tinkering, :lol: which I still have for old times sake)

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aston Martin Laguna

 

aston-martin_lagonda_v8_shooting-break_8

 

Let's make an over expensive car with every but  of 'modern' technology  ( from the 80s ) we can fit in it .

 

1gli1v87lif41.jpg

 

This is pretty funny ;  " It looks like n anteater and its interior is insane  .... "

 

try from 3:35   :) 

 

or  10 :20 ...  "  Button 'TRST'  ... I have no idea what this button does ... " ( he looked in the manual, but it shows a different dashboard from that in that car -    my 'favourite'  trick .... I have encountered this with a few products ... same model number  but what you have is different from what's in the manual !   :angry:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a classic, and one that works well      Simple in its design , suitable for gas, electric or campfire

 

 

The 'Atomic'

 

 

IW_caffettiera-atomic-robbiati_01.jpg

 

 

 

 

02c18164d00f37d45ea3b862063f55b8.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of things 'atomic' ... here is a junior 'chemistry set'  that  'teaches' kids about radiation .

 

 

 

Fun ( and uranium )  for all the family  ;

 

 

 

MzU1NjA2Ng.jpeg

 

 

gilbert-cloud-chamber-og.jpg

 

 

atomic-energy-set-1535476196.jpg?itok=6b

 

Lets kids  create and watch nuclear and chemical reactions using radioactive material.

 

The set originally sold for $49.50[3] (equivalent to $530 in 2020[7]) and contained the following:[3][8][9]

The lab contained a cloud chamber allowing the viewer to watch alpha particles traveling at 12,000 miles per second (19,000,000 m/s), a spinthariscope showing the results of radioactive disintegration on a fluorescent screen, and an electroscope measuring the radioactivity of different substances in the set

 

 

Probably worth  fortune now 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sounds more dangerous than kids playing with mercury from broken switch devices, being exposed to asbestos, lead paint, mosquito  spray, DDT, psychiatrists drugs and other such things.  (thankfully few could afford radioactive "sets")

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DDT  ?     Retro chemical technology .

 

  a day at the beach ;

 

 

ddtbeachparty.0.0.jpg

 

be042698.jpg?itok=wwuHTq0L

 

 

If you dont like that .... go to the swimming pool instead ;

 

hqdefault.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

yea and if we had not phased out leaded gasoline and poorly combusting car engines we would be in much worse conditions per toxic compounds in the air  and smoky like skies than what we have now with all the other sources of air pollution in play.  Btw, I'll never forget the times of severe smog in Riverside California (to mention just one particular area) back in the late 60-s and early 70's that made your eyes burn along and causing coughing even if you were otherwise young and healthy!   (the lead industry pushed hard and long to keep lead in fuel even though its adverse effects on health were proven!) 

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was once limited to a kerosene lamp (or a bothersome fuel pump-up type which gave out more lumen's) for light when i lived out in the woods in a little shack without running water or electricity, along with a wood stove for heat and cooking.  (and just an axe to chop wood)  

 

312AMqOcUDL._AC_.jpg.a19a37e0adda99f0eda45e566dbb0763.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, old3bob said:

I was once limited to a kerosene lamp (or a bothersome fuel pump-up type which gave out more lumen's) for light when i lived out in the woods in a little shack without running water or electricity, along with a wood stove for heat and cooking.  (and just an axe to chop wood)  

 

Reminds me of the good ole (hard!) times, lol.
I lived for five years on a farm with no electricity, no running water, etc. We carried water from the spring and kept the goats' milk in a water race in the basement. After a few years we got a hand pump in the kitchen! And then a few more years, a kerosene fridge!  Ice cubes!  I felt were like we were recapitulating civilization!  I'm soooo grateful for having lived that way for a time... but wouldn't choose to go back to it now...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, cheya said:

 

Reminds me of the good ole (hard!) times, lol.
I lived for five years on a farm with no electricity, no running water, etc. We carried water from the spring and kept the goats' milk in a water race in the basement. After a few years we got a hand pump in the kitchen! And then a few more years, a kerosene fridge!  Ice cubes!  I felt were like we were recapitulating civilization!  I'm soooo grateful for having lived that way for a time... but wouldn't choose to go back to it now...

 

i wouldn't go back either, at least not in being mostly alone like i was then...electricity alone is a major luxury when you have lived without it like the whole human race did at one time!  (and some people still don't have use of it which can make getting through cold winter a lot tougher )

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool .    My 'cabin in the woods' is fairly civilised;solar electricity , gas,   water pump, chainsaw, generator.  .... even got  fancy new bath house with  gas water heater  ..... no more outdoor cold showers .

 

Man's best friend in a cabin during winter ;

 

 

ESSE_Ironheart_5.jpg

 

 

When we used to go to the farm at Goulburn  (  very cold in winter )   it had the best  old style  wood  fired heater in the lounge room of the farm house ;    very wide front for long logs,  fire door on the front and sides for easy loading ... those old mica windows on the front ( before we had fire proof glass ) .  It sucked air in from outside  through a vent in the wall and  a pipe that went into the back, through the top and out air vents at the front, so warm fresh air would come out the top of the heater, rise into the room making the cooler air sink to the floor, the heater had a wide scoop air intake  about an inch above floor level to suck in this colder, now stale air, burn it in the fire box and expel it out the chimney , you could have a totally sealed house and still have warm fresh air coming in .

 

My cabin, now, just sucks in the air it needs through the cracks and joins in the  woodwork of the walls .  It must have got REAL cold at Goulburn, the old farm house  , which was half fallen down, had layers of newspaper ( some announcing hostilities pre WWI ) and wall paper on the walls  .... I always wonder why they wallpapered  it , until one mid winter morning we turned up pre dawn and I jumped out to open the metal farm gate and my palm stuck to it .   also, all around the door frames and any joints where nailed little bits of flat metal to keep any tiny breeze out, they where all old cut up jam and sardine tins .

 

But  'now'  .... electric cooking    .

 

55bf1b4704f1091f9561083475e7b363.jpg

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

that sounds like a very fine cabin Nungali !  In my old cabin days I used to do sponge type baths or wipe-downs after heating water on the stove top.  And since I was in my early 20's back then I also sometimes snuck into a men's university dorm in town to steal a truly wonderful and blissful hot shower.   A hot relaxing bath was mostly a pipe dream which I almost never was able to get...and I do mean almost never.

 

Btw, a girlfriend of mine who later became my good wife absolutely refused to move into one of my shacks until I installed a nice shower that had hot water (after I also had to install a hot water heater) and was located to side of  our rustic kitchen.  (the plumber in me became motivated)

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

we had this type of skateboard as kids,  if the steel wheels ran into a small peddle it often acted like an instant brake which could send you flying off the board and into the unyielding concrete which removed patches of flesh or knocked out teeth or pounded your body an "x" amount.  (all in a day of fun and daring, ouch)

 

download.jpg.d9e0df7d7c62acb7008395191e1ddc82.jpg

Edited by old3bob
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Diguo Belgian / Belgium Family Balance Siphon / Syphon Coffee Maker, Elegant Double Ridged Fulcrum with Tee Handle (Egyptian Black & Gold)Belgian Balance Brewer coffee maker. 

Fill the copper steam reserve w/ water.  Put coffee in the glass cup, light the alcohol burner.  Wait for the reserve to steam enough to slowly fill cup.  When the reserve is empty, it rises, shifting the balance and turning off the heat.  Coffees brews a little while, then gets siphoned back into the reserve tank for serving. 

The very definition of steam punk cool.    

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thelerner said:

Diguo Belgian / Belgium Family Balance Siphon / Syphon Coffee Maker, Elegant Double Ridged Fulcrum with Tee Handle (Egyptian Black & Gold)Belgian Balance Brewer coffee maker. 

Fill the copper steam reserve w/ water.  Put coffee in the glass cup, light the alcohol burner.  Wait for the reserve to steam enough to slowly fill cup.  When the reserve is empty, it rises, shifting the balance and turning off the heat.  Coffees brews a little while, then gets siphoned back into the reserve tank for serving. 

The very definition of steam punk cool.    

 

but is it retro or retro recycled and kept alive like my 45 year old truck?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/06/2021 at 10:20 PM, old3bob said:

that sounds like a very fine cabin Nungali !  In my old cabin days I used to do sponge type baths or wipe-downs after heating water on the stove top.  And since I was in my early 20's back then I also sometimes snuck into a men's university dorm in town to steal a truly wonderful and blissful hot shower.   A hot relaxing bath was mostly a pipe dream which I almost never was able to get...and I do mean almost never.

 

 

'seasy ;  I went to the local junk yard, got a big metal bath and put a fire under it . Now I have graduated to  a large outdoor gas cooking ring under it , attached to a gas bottle , easy on and off and temperature adjustment .

 

Very snazzy new bath house, but  actually the  bath will remain outside as I enjoy that so much and  the  ..... 'wash house ' just has a shower and sink, its crazy big as I hate small showers.  I had fun building it ( my first lone build )  and I enjoyed being in charge ( of design materials , all aspects.  Its off to the side of the cabin, connected by decking and elevated walkway, all that and the building is made from 'murbau'  ( a supposedly sustainable rainforest timber that is a golden orange colour ) board and baton  exterior,  about 1/3 floor to ceiling windows, double glass sliding door entrance,   a 'river beach' floor tile  (looks like sand with river pebbles in it ) , light and dark green Italian tiles with a silver, glass and moonstone accent strip,  White cypress ceiling boards ,  Chrome  and glass 'art deco' style lights and interior fittings , stone basin on a white cypress bench.  It has a an entry deck down one side and a wider one at the front for sitting (as its a great view from there ) .  Its in a grove of turpentine trees and palms and ferns that make shadows all around so I painted the underside of the  decking roof like that ( I hate looking up to bare tin on a verandah)  by  laying it all out upside down in the yard covering it with palm and fern fronds and spraying it with various shades of green.

 

Its rather stunning and quirky'  ,  I got a 'wow' from a builder friend when he saw it .

 

Merbau;

 

jarrah.jpg

 

white cypress pine  (on a floor)

 

goodwin_oldflorida_gn.jpg

 

ll this was supposed to originally be not much more than  shed  with slat floor and a camping shower  :D  .

 

On 11/06/2021 at 10:20 PM, old3bob said:

 

Btw, a girlfriend of mine who later became my good wife absolutely refused to move into one of my shacks until I installed a nice shower that had hot water (after I also had to install a hot water heater) and was located to side of  our rustic kitchen.  (the plumber in me became motivated)

 

 

a good 'cabin wife' is hard to find

 

 

176317-9.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=568

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/06/2021 at 1:45 AM, old3bob said:

we had this type of skateboard as kids,  if the steel wheels ran into a small peddle it often acted like an instant brake which could send you flying off the board and into the unyielding concrete which removed patches of flesh or knocked out teeth or pounded your body an "x" amount.  (all in a day of fun and daring, ouch)

 

download.jpg.d9e0df7d7c62acb7008395191e1ddc82.jpg

 

 

In the good old days , kids safety   and accidents was considered part of growing up  (if you made it that far  :D )

 

a969394d6f7451becf98b5f8424872e1.jpg

 

nearly every ;playground' had one of these , but here, they ended a lot sooner than this one , virtually no flat bit t the bottom, then on to concrete , if you where lucky - usully it ws a puddle of mud, gravel and maybe some broken glass .

 

" Wheeeee ... "

 

c3da7d4324e5e34f1ec3fd74ebde0fb8.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Nungali said:

 

 

In the good old days , kids safety   and accidents was considered part of growing up  (if you made it that far  :D )

 

a969394d6f7451becf98b5f8424872e1.jpg

 

nearly every ;playground' had one of these , but here, they ended a lot sooner than this one , virtually no flat bit t the bottom, then on to concrete , if you where lucky - usully it ws a puddle of mud, gravel and maybe some broken glass .

 

" Wheeeee ... "

 

c3da7d4324e5e34f1ec3fd74ebde0fb8.jpg

 

isn't that the truth about safety back then!  I once cobbled an unsafe bicycle together. It had the long banana seat and butterfly handlebars on a medium sized frame,  a 3 speed hub spoked into big rear rim with a knobby tire along with having a small front chrome rim with a skinny tire.  What made it unsafe was no brakes, one just stuck their foot against the side of the front tire to slow down which hardly worked, yikes!  (so I had to always be looking way ahead to slow down in time to prevent a wreck,  and since I couldn't get handbrakes to fit I soon put the bike aside even though i liked it looks.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Nungali said:

1937 Henderson

 

b372972c0fd836185a5aefcef94ab583.jpg

 

f102d3ab0e11c4cb0d729ab48d372e24.jpg

 

 

 

BMW  R 7

 

f364987087c206396a92b0de1b67fa2b.jpg

 

Wow and wild!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wonders of home electricity ;

 

" Knob and tube wiring '  - best to do it underfloor , its 'safer' that way

 

 

 

1200px-Knob_and_tube_1930.jpg

 

Electricity in the home makes life easier  .... or, at least shorter

 

dontt touch the middle bit !

 

4824_91105101543.jpg

 

 

0320-dust-suction-pump-1906-eb-iv-3722-w

 

the+thor+worlds+first+washing+machine+an

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

best to replace that ancient wiring :o,  Btw.  I once worked on an old house with lath board and knob and tube wiring, ... it might have almost been easier to replace the house :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

no battery needed:  been a long time since I used one of these...and I still have one. (youngsters may not recognize it?)  My first and very basic electronic calculator was around $80.00 !

 

download.jpg.2c4060d545b77b97532175dcf4d56954.jpg

 

and these are still in use:

61zEmO7kHmL._AC_SL1024_.thumb.jpg.1449a741fcc120acbe6e0cb1729bc016.jpg

Edited by old3bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites