Silent Thunder posted a link to a video concerning body work approaches pioneered by Emilie Conrad and Susan Harper. I'm finding a lot of value in this line of inquiry. (A copy of Emilie Conrad's book " Life on Land" is on the way, I'll review that as I get to it)

• Like 2

Thank you, Sketch.  That was fascinating.  I was especially moved by the idea that we don´t know whether or not we´re supposed to continue as a species.  It seemed like she was saying that we could be open and neutral, without an opinion -- even about that.  To me this feels more salient than ever before with the pandemic.  I can spin out with anxiety about what´s happening in the world, choking on the sense that things are wrong, bad, evil.  So it´s eye-opening to consider that maybe everything is OK.  We are a part of a process that is larger than us, that is speaking through us, and if it happens that someday humanity doesn´t exist as it does now...just maybe that´s perfectly alright.  Hard to wrap my brain around that one but I think I need to.  I want to rest in the peace of that.

• Like 2

Finished reading Emilie Conrad's "Life On Land". 

It was very much a book I needed at this time; the approach to movement, healing and sound illuminated my current practices and gave me ideas about my future explorations. Much as I recoil to say it, this book has given me not only a direction of inquiry - but also permission to move in the direction I was going in anyway.

Anything I'd seen on the "Taoist Healing Sounds" or on the physics of the word "Om" in the past failed to penetrate my mind; worse  are tables of correspondences with musical note names right next to colors, gods, letters ...  (looking at you, Aleister.) A more contemporary understanding of resonance phenomena brings the concepts home for me. 

Beautifully written, the book unfolds, revealing science as poetry and poetry as science. Deep empathy flows from deep experiences. A rich contemplation of our liquid nature. 

Edited by Sketch
  • Thanks 1

Just got a copy of "Infinite Mind " by Valerie Hunt,  Thrift Books is really starting to like me. I'll review it here if I think I understand it.

So far this more internalized voice work is quite profound feeling, but mainly revealing buzzes like an old bridge, places that could use a bit of glue.   

Hi @Sketch,

Does the Life on Land books have enough practical information to practice some Continuum moves from?  Any experiences you´d care to relate?  Continuum is something that´s been on my list for some years now though I´ve yet to take the, umm, plunge.

2 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Hi @Sketch,

Does the Life on Land books have enough practical information to practice some Continuum moves from?  Any experiences you´d care to relate?  Continuum is something that´s been on my list for some years now though I´ve yet to take the, umm, plunge.

Not the movement stuff, although it has informed my understanding of tissue movement. It has been a valuable starting point for interior sound work.

Very worthwhile reading in any case. 

• Thanks 1