waterdrop

No option to hide posts and other users posts ?

Did something change that you cant hide posts any more    -  and also cant hide other users posts  ?   or its still an option and  i just forgot where it is and cant find it  ?

5 hours ago, waterdrop said:

shame , but thanks for the reply

If you think twice about your own posts, you can always edit them.

Once others reply, we don't feel it's appropriate for you to be able to hide their replies.

• Like 4

I see the reasoning for not allowing it  , still think it should be allowed  but im not feeling to strong about it to  debate it and actually write any logical reasons lol  -   asked cause i genuinely had no idea , but since i already replied about it felt obligated to give my opinion on it , but that is all not pushing this , i accept the moderators verdict

Edited by waterdrop
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, steve said:

If you think twice about your own posts, you can always edit them.

Once others reply, we don't feel it's appropriate for you to be able to hide their replies.

The problem I see is that once others have quoted your post which you've thought twice about and decided to edit or hide, you're stuck with it.  Strangely enough, the way it happens to me is, if I do change my mind, I usually change it almost immediately -- I don't let a post sit there for a day and then decide to remove or edit, no -- I re-read what I just wrote and decide I don't want it there after all, for whatever reason --

and more than half the time I'm too late, someone looking to...  er...  stir the pot jumps on it immediately and insists on quoting and discussing precisely the part I've just edited or the post I've just removed.  Literally within a minute or two.  And then I'm stuck with having to drag on an unwanted discussion of exactly the part I decided I don't want to have a conversation about, to the detriment of the part I did hope to have a conversation about. 

All in all, this "gotcha!" set-up stifles spontaneity -- too much thinking in advance what to say, what not to say does, when there's no recourse to changing your mind.  Maybe it's possible to appeal to the members to edit someone else's quotes from their own posts (and maybe posts themselves made in response to the edited out ones while at it?) upon discovering that the part they are addressing has been removed by the OP?  I always do that for others, incidentally.  Don't like playing "gotcha!" and find it pretty annoying when someone plays that with me.

What do you think?       

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Taomeow

I like your observation that skilful gotcha players often zero in and quote precisely that part of a post that you might think twice about later.  That´s the nature of the gotcha I guess.  Sometimes the very point of quoting is to preserve someone´s words in metaphorical stone so that they can´t go back later and rethink things.  This is especially true if the quote in question is especially personal or interpersonally juicy or questionable in some way.  

I would hope that members would extend me the courtesy of removing a quote if I asked.  That sounds like a reasonable ask to make though I´ve never tried it.  Trouble is the game of gotcha is fundamentally about having power over other people and those who play that game aren´t known for their graciousness.

Marblehead used to say that he reserved the right to be wrong, or something like that -- I forget the exact quote.  I like that.  I´m an evolving person and I can´t be expected to believe everything I wrote here ten years ago.  Sometimes I´m lucky if I agree with myself after ten hours.  This is a place for conversation; our posts aren´t supposed to need the same kind of defense one would expect of a doctoral thesis.  

Ultimately, I think that we (you, me, Bums in general) don´t need to play gotcha.  Yes, it´s annoying when people try to do that to us but we can move on.  People know me.  They know the good and the bad of me.  They know me a whole lot more than I usually give them credit for.  And often, people know me more than I´d like.  The people who like me won´t mind if I leave a conversation early.  I´m not obligated to defend myself.  I´m not obligated to give answers to conversational missles disquised as questions.  If a topic doesn´t interest me -- or the maturity level of those discussing a topic doesn´t interest me -- I can choose to go elsewhere.  Nobody worth caring about will hold it against me.

Anyway, that´s what I think.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 6