dwai

What are some signs of progress in the spiritual path and how we know if someone is "enlightened"?

These are questions that come up irrespective of which path one follows. Swami Sarvapriyananda shares the Advaita Vedantic perspective on this --

[Part 1]  How do we know if we are progressing in spiritual life?

[Part 2]  How can an enlightened person be recognized?

I'd strongly recommend watching the entire Q&A, and perhaps following Swamiji's videos on YouTube as well -- watching these Q&A sessions often help with clarifying concepts and provide insights. They also show that we are not uniquely stymied or perplexed by certain types of questions and doubts. Questioning and doubts are part of the path of Self-inquiry. 

Edited by dwai
  • Like 2

The thread title reminded me of a similar saying by Ramana Maharshi , " The degree of freedom from unwanted thoughts and the degree of concentration on a single thought are the measures to gauge spiritual progress."

The ever-present Self or natural state of thoughtless awareness is present at all times in the waking, dreaming and deep sleep states, and is charecterestic of bliss, peace and joy. However what veils or obscures the Self is our own incessant and compulsive thinking and emoting prompted by intense desires in the form of cravings and aversions. Most of these thoughts are unnecessary and only tend to create anxiety and tension.

By consciously reducing unwanted and unnecessary thoughts, the mind becomes equanimous and less agitated, and thereby the Self is revealed with its characteristic joy and bliss. An analogy is that of a lake's base being obscured during a storm , while a still lake reflects the base clearly.

"The Bible says, “Be still and know that I am God”. Stillness is the sole requisite for the realisation of the Self as God." ~ Ramana Maharshi

Edited by Ajay0
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2020 at 2:29 PM, Ajay0 said:

“Be still and know that I am God”

Conscious mind, crow,
flies everywhere,
gets into everything
and makes a lot of noise
cawing and cawing.
When crow sits still
on a branch,