Lightseeker

Speed reading technique (photographic memory)

I found this document on different meditation methods. The 26th method explains a book meditation which can be done to give one a photographic memory, and absorb information very quickly. I’m still working on step 2. Try it and tell me what you think.

Link:
https://archive.ph/OifeF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Interesting archive.  I might give it a shot.  I don't know about giving one photographic memory but it seems like a good mental memory workout. 

It's also reminiscent of a story Aryeh Kaplan recalled.  Where there was a contest who could learn the most pages of a religious book. At first it'd take him days to memorize one.  Later 3 days, then 2, then 1, then he found he could do it with a single reading. 

He said he didn't feel he was getting smarter, rather it was like a filter of his mind was dropped. 

from archive-"

Meditation #26

Meditations Upon Books
for cultivation of memory, awareness, & intuition

All Fringe Wizards read a great many books but we could be making the process a lot more efficient and productive. Here are meditations I have devised for that purpose:

Part 2 >>33
Part 3 >>34
Part 4 >>35
Part 5 >>36

Book Meditation, No Visualization, Reciting

Type 1 book meditation, no-visualization, reciting basic

(do this with a book you are just reading now)

1. Read a sentence.
2. Look away or close the eyes.
3. Recite the full sentence you just read perfectly.
4. Read the next sentence.
5. Repeat - until you can do this easily then move onto intermediate.

Type 1 book meditation, no-visualization, reciting intermediate

1. Read a full paragraph.
3. Recite the full paragraph you just read perfectly.
4. Read the next paragraph.
5. Repeat - until you can do this easily then move onto advanced.

Type 1 book meditation, no-visualization, reciting advanced

1. Read a full page.
3. Recite the full page you just read perfectly.
4. Read the next page.
5. Repeat - until you've finished the book.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2020 at 5:48 PM, thelerner said:

Interesting archive.  I might give it a shot.  I don't know about giving one photographic memory but it seems like a good mental memory workout. 

It's also reminiscent of a story Aryeh Kaplan recalled.  Where there was a contest who could learn the most pages of a religious book. At first it'd take him days to memorize one.  Later 3 days, then 2, then 1, then he found he could do it with a single reading. 

He said he didn't feel he was getting smarter, rather it was like a filter of his mind was dropped. 

from archive-"

Meditation #26

Meditations Upon Books
for cultivation of memory, awareness, & intuition

All Fringe Wizards read a great many books but we could be making the process a lot more efficient and productive. Here are meditations I have devised for that purpose:

Part 2 >>33
Part 3 >>34
Part 4 >>35
Part 5 >>36

Book Meditation, No Visualization, Reciting

Type 1 book meditation, no-visualization, reciting basic

(do this with a book you are just reading now)

1. Read a sentence.
3. Recite the full sentence you just read perfectly.
4. Read the next sentence.
5. Repeat - until you can do this easily then move onto intermediate.

Type 1 book meditation, no-visualization, reciting intermediate

1. Read a full paragraph.
3. Recite the full paragraph you just read perfectly.
4. Read the next paragraph.
5. Repeat - until you can do this easily then move onto advanced.

Type 1 book meditation, no-visualization, reciting advanced

1. Read a full page.
3. Recite the full page you just read perfectly.
4. Read the next page.
5. Repeat - until you've finished the book.

Yes.  Vivekananda could do crazy things like this

• Like 2

Sounds like a technique to improve perception only. Do you find it improves anything else?

On 4/27/2020 at 12:26 AM, oak said:

Heard about this one a few years back. The military technique. Never tried it.

https://www.theclassroom.com/develop-photographic-memory-4476504.html

Hmm nice techniques! But they seem to be somewhat redundant. They are just training perception in my opinion. Of the senses. Mind is a sense too here. Or visualization, thinking and memory/creative thinking are senses too.

For example the dark room is a flat out visual perception. Houdini was said that he could walk past a souvenir shop windows in a hurry and then remember every single minute detail, photographically, just from that. To train this, take a walk, preferably. Walk calm not fast. And try to notice everything. Shadows, how many sits in the cars, car body and mirror reflections changing as you pass by, faces in their zoomed-in fullness, how many people, how many concrete slabs on the ground or how many cars in the distance (try to count 'immediately') etc. Just 15-20minutes a day is enough and it will work itself, no effort needed.

You will see more and more detail ... just magickally, trust me it works itself, and very fast at that. But have to do it daily.

This comes from William Walker Atkinson's book. (Was it the willpower one?) He did say we should train perception of mind first!¬

That is, take a simple object such as a bottle lid in front of you. And note down on a paper every feature you can make out of it. Perhaps even specific, smart applications you can make for it. It should take a few hours at least to move on from the bottle lid haha, you will be amazed how stuff just comes up. I've seen somewhat similar things suggested in some dual n back groups. It all boils down to perception.

Basically all your mentation / consciousness / awareness is just an intention. An act of will. The fact that mental and bodily energies follow your intention is just noticing an effect, not the cause.

Intention is clothed by what it perceives. Hence we call it awareness, or perception in this universe.

I would argue training the visual sense and other senses, such feeling, hearing, etc. can lead to more powerful or at least more practical gains than training what the original exercise ^ trains for - which is essentially a type of memory / thought form perception Or INTERNAL perception (vs EXTERNAL senses perception).

You need internal perception to handle the mega input from external perception. I'm not saying you would go psychotic, but you will just be looking at your input like a cat staring at a calendar; unable able to comprehend anything.

I'm no pro in the field. I've only tried these things in the past for a little before I quit. I would love to meet someone who has trained all their perception outlets to a pro level.

Edited by EmeraldHead
  • Like 2

The difficult and important thing is to read without subvocalizating. I have tried several times and i can't avoid hearing the speaking while reading. I guess it is due to habit.

Feldenkrais says it is possible to dissociate thinking and speaking, so u can think in images or relations. This way u improve reading speed but also thinking becomes more powerful

• Like 2