Sign in to follow this  
Dame Du Lac

Zhan Zhuang sensations?

I'm slowly getting into the practice of Zhan Zhuang, but I've noticed when I stand in Wu Chi I feel certain sensations. Most of these I ignore or recognize as tension I try to relax, like a lightness in the arms or tiny motions in my knees, but a weird one is that my right thumb tends to go totally numb. Is this something to worry about?

Also, I was told that before and after practice I should gather chi by standing straight and resting my hands over my dantian area, but it's not in any of the resources I use to study. Is this a normal, safe practice?

Sensations are normal during ZZ. Ignore them and try to relax.

A good resource is Lam Kam Chuen's '"the book of energy".

It has some solid instructions and a version of 8 piece brocades.

• Like 3

I've only learnt from books, so I've gone through every book there is and tried to pull out the best suggestions out of all of them. In the end, as Zork says, it's pretty much all contained in Lam Kam Chuen's '"the book of energy".

So, I always rotate my knees, hips and shoulders first - started off doing 10 rotations each way, now do 30.

Don't stand with my hands on my LDT to start with, (but do that after).

Go straight into wuji / cowbow style.

Cycle through 4 other poses.

Then end with my legs straight and hands on my LDT, this is something Lam Kam suggests.

Then shake.

Then arm swing.

Then full body massage.

I wouldn't worry too much about the thumb going numb. I badly broke my wrist a while back, for some time after it would have a strong sense of pins and needles in it while I stood. That's died away now, not sure how many weeks or months it took, but its gone and I reckon your thumb numbness will do in time too.

I'd just add that for me, the key to maintaining motivation is to keep the duration short, it will naturally increase in time.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Dame Du Lac said:

my right thumb tends to go totally numb. Is this something to worry about?

Check this with your GP, just in case it's a nerve thing. I've developed numbness in my right arm in the past couple of years and am currently having physio. I noticed it when leaning on it, but now it's definitely present during ZZ, so a slight concern!

Edited by Rara
  • Like 1

ZZ is (in general) badly taught. 

Most instructions place you in a structure that is incorrect for your body and negatively impacts the spine and the nerves. This then causes numbness and pins and needles.

I believe that no one should be starting with ZZ practice. It is useful at the intermediate stage of practice - for building certain mechanics into the body - but at the start it is generally detrimental.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, freeform said:

Most instructions place you in a structure that is incorrect for your body and negatively impacts the spine and the nerves. This then causes numbness and pins and needles.

I was going to go down the "find a teacher route" but figured this would open a can of worms as the first thing they would do probably is teach a form...

Which is affectively what you're saying hehe.

But your point stands. I was taught ZZ and went away and enjoyed some practice. Then one day in class when I was practicing, suddenly my teacher started moving my body parts into the proper position.

We always think we're doing something right, until someone points out that we ain't!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Rara said:

We always think we're doing something right, until someone points out that we ain't!

I think of it this way - we’re always doing something wrong... but hopefully a little less wrong with each passing hour of practice. Doing it ‘right’ is when you’ve finally reached mastery and become a wise, enlightened sage yourself. Which, for me, is quite a way off :)

You're right though - if you have a good teacher they’ll be able to help correct you. There isn’t one correct position - not really... the body goes through changes - what was correct for you yesterday may be incorrect today. That’s why it’s impossible to communicate these intricacies in a book.

Standing practices are really quite complex. Internally you’re always dancing on the edge between release and inner connection, between stillness and movement... You’re always hunting for a certain equilibrium that takes you deeper and deeper.

It is not standing in a certain structure and grinning and bearing it until your timer rings (although that’s usually how it starts).

If you finish your standing and you have to sort pry yourself out of the posture like pulling off the stuck lid of an old paint tin then something isn’t right. If you feel numb or stiff and need to move around to get the circulation going again then something isn’t quite right.

If you walk away feeling sore, clothes soaked in sweat but feeling vital and calm and the body feels big, expanded and bouncy like a spring - then you’ve done well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lam Kam Chuen has great books and good videos. May be useful to observe his form carefully and make the adjustments. We never do it perfect the 1st time, 2nd or 3rd.....but don't let that discourage you. The same is true with everything. The path is a gradual process of becoming.  

If you'd like some help with your Wu Chi posture just PM me. I often help others with energetic adjustments.  

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this