Hello!

I am interested in any guidelines you can post here from ashrams, meditation centers, (Eastern type) monasteries,

The kind of guidelines you might find in a

"Welcome to the Yin Yan Monastery"

Please read the following guidelines before entering the main buildings. You are expected to know and understand these guidelines and if you have any questions or if you are from the media please contact: Lilian Johnson at the reception desk or call 888-999-111

=====

If you can post links or whole brochures or complete guidelines that would be excellent - You can leave in all the details or delete particulars if you think that is needed or wanted - I am not interested in contacting the sources but in the content of the guidelines. 

Also - you may just want to add some "good" idea that you saw in one that you had not thought of. As an example I had never seen this before and thought that - given the space - it was a very good idea - I saw this posted outside all the bathrooms:

Shoes required - no bare feet allowed

In another one it asked those entering to take a deep breath and collect their space and be mindful of their energy before entering the main halls.

In some places they require "modest dress" and outline various un-modest dress that is not as obvious to some such as No Tank Tops, armless shirts, uncovered belly buttons - and many many ask that no perfumes or scents are worn.

At one small ashram of nine living quarters the occupants are required to be Vegan.

I am not interested in judgements on any of this - just what you have seen and can share - I am trying to put together a data base of guideline material that is out there being used.

Thank you in advance for all of your input!

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

I hung out at the Sivananda Yoga ashram on Paradise island a couple times https://sivananda.org.in/rules/

I enjoyed my times there but must admit breaking 2 to 3 rules a day.  Down from the usual 3 to 5 in regular society.  

Dress Code

Men and women must cover shoulders, midriff and legs. Tight fitting, transparent and revealing clothing are not permitted. This includes:

•  Shorts above the knee
  •  Leggings
  •  Low cut and sleeveless t-shirts
  •  Tank tops

Guests’ behaviour and dress code should be respectful of the local culture and enhance the spiritual atmosphere. Observance of the dress code should be maintained at all times including during asana classes or swimming.

Prohibited Items

• Smoking, alcohol, drugs, meat, fish, eggs, garlic and onions are not allowed.
  • The use of mobile phones is only permitted in designated areas outside of class times. Photography, video, audio recording during classes and ceremonies is only possible with the permission of the director. Pets are not allowed.

Male-Female Relations

To respect the local culture and the monastic tradition, kindly restrain expressions of affection such as hugging or kissing in public. Guests at our Ashrams are advised to observe celibacy (brahmacharya) as part of the spiritual discipline. Male and female dormitories are separate. Men are not allowed in the ladies’ dormitory and vice versa. The Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre organisation of India disapprove of and condemn any form of harassment directed at guests, staff or visitors.

Attendance

Attendance at all Ashram activities is mandatory as part of the Ashram Yoga Vacation programme. As a mark of respect for the teacher and as a practice of self-discipline, guests are required to be on time and to remain for the duration of each programme. Asana classes are open to resident guests only.

Free Day
Friday is a free day in our Ashrams. Guests are required to attend morning and evening satsang. There are no lecture or coaching classes on the free day. The yoga asana classes and meals run as usual.

Silence

Guests are requested to observe silence during meals, before morning satsang and after evening satsang.  Lights out after 10:30pm.

Personal Belongings

We do not accept responsibility for guests’ personal belongings. Safe-keeping facilitiesare available.

Minimum Stay

An initial minimum payment for three nights accommodation at our Ashrams is required upon arrival and registration. This payment is non-refundable and non-transferable in the event of early departure.

Payments & Donations

Daily donation rates at our Ashrams include classes, food and accommodation. Dates and donations are subject to change without notice. For all programmes guests are subject to the suggested donation in effect at the time of payment. Personal cheques are not accepted. The Indian concessional rate does not apply to: non-resident Indians (NRI), Indian nationals working or living abroad, foreign nationals working or living in India, Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) and Person of Indian Origin (PIO). Indian nationals may be asked to provide evidence of Indian nationality.

Harassment Policy

Specifically, no harassment, proposals or innuendos with a sexual connotation will be tolerated during any programme or activity organised by the Ashrams and Centres. Guests and students participating in such programmes and activities are accordingly made aware of this policy and invited to apply it in their personal behaviour during their stay. Any guest or student who thinks he/she may be the victim of unsolicited advances or any other form of sexual harassment is asked to notify a senior Swami or director immediately in order for corrective action to be undertaken without delay. Complaints made to a senior Swami or director will be treated confidentially and the alleged violator or any third party will not be advised of the complainant’s identity without the latter’s consent.

Here's another set of guidelines they have on another site:

Ashram Guidelines
The Sivananda Ashram Yoga Ranch is a yoga retreat with organized, pre-scheduled activities.
Attendance at Satsang (meditation sessions) and asana classes (yogic exercises) is required in order to
maintain the proper rhythm and atmosphere of the ashram. If you have special needs that affect your
participation, please let us know. Guests with specific physical conditions are also encouraged to
inform your yoga teacher so that we may help you modify your practice to what works best for your
particular situation.
• Please respect the meditation room etiquette: Do not lie down or point your feet towards the altar
or teachers, and do not place your feet on the chant books.
• Karma Yoga (selfless service) is observed from 11:00 a.m. to noon.
• SAYR is strictly vegetarian. Meat, fowl, fish, and eggs are not allowed on the grounds. Garlic and
onions are also not allowed in the Yogic diet.
• No alcohol, drugs, weapons, or tobacco are allowed on the SAYR grounds.
• Given our peaceful environment, loud cell phone conversations and loud music are not allowed.
Please be aware of your volume levels.
• If you arrive after the start of Satsang (during silent meditation), please remain outside and sit in
practice until the singing has begun so as not to disturb the other practitioners. Once the singing
begins, please quietly and discreetly find a seat inside with everyone.
• We observe silence (mauna) between 10:30 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. Lights out at 10:30 p.m.
• Candles and incense may not be burned anywhere on the SAYR property, except during public
ceremonies. Please help us to look out for fire hazards and inform the staff if a fire or hazard is
observed. In case of fire, please meet by the Peace Pole. DO NOT leave the property.
• In case of medical emergency, please contact a staff member or receptionist. Health insurance is
each guest’s responsibility.
• Enjoy nature’s beauty, but please respect

<<addon>  the first time I was there they were doing laying some new walking paths.  The call for Karma Yoga 11 to noon, was greatly expanded.  We mixed, churned, moved and laid down the cement for a couple hours a day.  It felt good.  Similarly the Kitchen required volunteers, hard work but you learned to cook.  I think Karma yoga holds great lessons and is remembered fondly.  Perhaps moreso then at the actual time :) .

Edited by thelerner
  • Thanks 1

Some general guidelines off the top of my head for Daoist sites: Don't point at images of deities. Don't photograph altars. Don't photograph monastics without their permission.  

• Thanks 1

Outside the intent of the OP,  but as a counterpoint to the great complexity of do’s and don’ts students are often presented with, here’s Christmas Humphreys applying Occam’s razor to the complexity of practice rules:

Spoiler

The road has two rules only:

Spoiler

Begin

Spoiler

Continue

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1