lifeforce

Deleted

On 4/18/2019 at 2:15 PM, Starjumper said:

That wasn't a joke, that was fact.

still funny though

On 4/18/2019 at 2:46 PM, Aetherous said:

It'd be nice if we could right the wrongs of the world.

it sure would, but who determines what is right?

12 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

it sure would, but who determines what is right?

It's a good question, because we often think we're right in our thinking when we're in fact not completely right.

But on the other hand, I'm not a moral relativist at all. Right and wrong definitely exist in an objective way, and while questioning our perception is good to a certain degree, there's a point at which it becomes a bad thing.

If we truly know what's right, not coming from a place of ignorance, then we should act. Here's an example:

If we are walking downtown, and see a rich man beating up a homeless person who is on the ground, our initial instinct might tell us that the rich man is wrong and to help the homeless man. We could second guess ourselves and think, "Perhaps the homeless man was trying to mug the rich man, and the latter is simply defending himself". We could third guess ourselves and think, "Perhaps if I get involved, I might get injured or killed, so I should mind my own business"...and fourth guess ourselves, thinking about how beating others up isn't a bad thing in certain cultures and contexts...ad infinitum.

Or we could see that one man who is probably already in poor health is on the ground being beaten by someone else, and could act. Even if it was a case of the homeless person trying to mug the rich man, and the rich man being correct in defending himself, it's still a good action.

And we didn't overthink it, or pseudo-philosophize about whether we are capable of determining right or wrong, or if right and wrong even exist.

So yeah - basically, self doubt is good up to a certain point, but it's bad after a certain point. It's good to take action in doing the right thing in this world.

• Like 1

I've not read any theories but the Extinction Rebellion event was at that time 11am ish in Paris.
I think because such Facebook protests are so much in vogue right now, and supported by the BBC, that  .... nobody wants to talk about it.
But it's pretty simple.
Weren't they suppose to rebel against our extinction ??   Pretty easy to see some young French kids with Facebook telling them they are so powerful from the phone, and someone .... chucks something in the scaffolding.

Don't the same people also tell them how evil the church is ?
Of course they do.

No need for any other theories.
But after supporting this protest, I guess it's time for all the mainstream news to hide under their tails and pretend they did nothing.
Poor old Jesus, nobody ever read a single word he read, he is unknown.

1 hour ago, Aetherous said:

Right and wrong definitely exist in an objective way

I hear what you're saying and when in a certain frame of mind, can even agree with it.

But it doesn't last anymore.  That mindset cannot self sustain.

The food for it has grown thin and lacks potency.

In the center of the wheel, there is no centrifugal force, no inertia.

829 pages and counting of folks who all consider they have a bead on what is 'objectively right' and yet there is not much agreement... aside from everyone considering they are right.

• Like 2

Just now, silent thunder said:

I hear what you're saying and when in a certain frame of mind, can even agree with it.

But it doesn't last anymore.  That mindset cannot self sustain.

The food for it has grown thin and lacks potency.

In the center of the wheel, there is no centrifugal force, no inertia.

I don't mean any offense in saying this, but I don't think your view is advanced or the product of attainment in any way, as you seem to have attempted to portray it to be. I view you as a normal person having normal ideas, and you've simply chosen a somewhat moral relativist position for the time being. As you advance in wisdom, you'll come back to a more refined position of objective right vs wrong.

Just now, silent thunder said:

829 pages and counting of folks who all consider they have a bead on what is 'objectively right' and yet there is not much agreement... aside from everyone considering they are right.

The fact that people disagree doesn't mean that objective right and wrong are unknowable, or non-existent.