On 10/26/2023 at 3:23 PM, Vajra Fist said:

It's also a very boring exercise, but I've been following this video which is quite hypnotic and oddly surreal.

If you get bored you could always sing that classic song:

You swing your arms past your hips

On every fifth: you dip and dip

Edited by EFreethought
clarity and rhythm
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, EFreethought said:

Here is a paragraph from that page: "An ancient Chinese proverb says 'Do this exercise five hundred times each day & you will be healthy for a long life. Do this exercise a thousand times each day & you will live forever.'"

I wonder if you start this later in life, like age 60. Would you still live forever? Or at least a long time? Is it ever too late to start qigong?

Personally I'm pretty skeptical about the possibility achieving of physical immortality. However, I do think that this exercise (and many other qigong methods) could benefit the immune system, thus leading to a longer and more healthy life.

I don't think that it's ever too late to start. There is such a wide range of practices that there is probably something for everyone, no matter what their age and current condition is.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 3:23 PM, Vajra Fist said:

I've been practicing this style 30min-1hr a day for the past few days (1.5k - 3k reps).

I suffer from tense shoulders, forward head posture and tension headaches. This feels pretty good.

I feel like this is more of a lymphatic exercise akin to rebounding, rather than a system of energetics, but would be happy to be wrong.

I've practiced hard martial arts quite intensely for a couple of decades or more and think I've probably done quite a bit of damage to my shoulders. So much so that I've been wondering if it's only a matter of time before I get a bit arthritic around there. 

I noticed a lot of popping and grinding in my right rotator cuff while practicing these arm swings. I wonder if this is helping stave off arthritis, or accelerating the wear and tear in my joints. 

It's also a very boring exercise, but I've been following this video which is quite hypnotic and oddly surreal.

Anyone else practice this regularly?

I just tried ten minutes yesterday using another video by this same group.

My shoulders were pretty sore. I think I will slowly increase time until I can get to 30 minutes.

On 29/10/2023 at 12:02 PM, EFreethought said:

I just tried ten minutes yesterday using another video by this same group.

My shoulders were pretty sore. I think I will slowly increase time until I can get to 30 minutes.

I emailed Meimen (the organisation of Li Feng-Shan) about my shoulders clicking a lot, and got this reply:

The shoulders will be adjusted during the practice of Pingshuai. It is normal to hear any noise or stuttering. Your body should be relaxed when practicing. As you practice, your circulation will improve, your Qi and blood vessels will be easier to clear, and your shoulder joints will loosen. However, the premise is - make sure that when practicing Pingshuai, make sure that your hands are at the same height as your shoulders; when doing Pingshuai, pay attention to being parallel, relaxed, and not exerting force.
When practicing, always pay attention to whether your hands are parallel and whether your hands are relaxed.
When practicing Qigong, adjust your body and mind at any time (relax, feel relieved, let go).
In addition, be sure to get rid of the myths ~ Swing it harder will give quick results;swing it faster will give quick results. These are all wrong. The rhythm must be consistent (follow the rhythm of the exercise demonstration video), do not be fast and slow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vajra Fist said:

I emailed Meimen (the organisation of Li Feng-Shan) about my shoulders clicking a lot, and got this reply:

The shoulders will be adjusted during the practice of Pingshuai. It is normal to hear any noise or stuttering. Your body should be relaxed when practicing. As you practice, your circulation will improve, your Qi and blood vessels will be easier to clear, and your shoulder joints will loosen. However, the premise is - make sure that when practicing Pingshuai, make sure that your hands are at the same height as your shoulders; when doing Pingshuai, pay attention to being parallel, relaxed, and not exerting force.
When practicing, always pay attention to whether your hands are parallel and whether your hands are relaxed.
When practicing Qigong, adjust your body and mind at any time (relax, feel relieved, let go).
In addition, be sure to get rid of the myths ~ Swing it harder will give quick results;swing it faster will give quick results. These are all wrong. The rhythm must be consistent (follow the rhythm of the exercise demonstration video), do not be fast and slow.

a few years ago i practiced this qi gong for a while and i can remember well i had pain in my shoulders too

17 minutes ago, Kojiro said:

a few years ago i practiced this qi gong for a while and i can remember well i had pain in my shoulders too

Did it clear up by powering through? Or did you have to quit? I really messed up my rotator cuff doing karate in my 20s, so keen not to do any further damage.

I also emailed another teacher of this style of qigong, not affiliated with Meimen, and she recommended another form called liangong series 2 for shoulders.

Edited by Vajra Fist

6 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

Did it clear up by powering through? Or did you have to quit? I really messed up my rotator cuff doing karate in my 20s, so keen not to do any further damage.

I also emailed another teacher of this style of qigong, not affiliated with Meimen, and she recommended another form called liangong series 2 for shoulders.

i had to quit it, the pain was increasing every time i did this qi gong. the more i practiced it the more pain i felt :(

Edited by Kojiro
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

can you do this form without shoulder pain?

30 minutes ago, Kojiro said:

can you do this form without shoulder pain?

Ping shaui? It's not really pain per se. Just the joints themselves feel knackered afterwards.

Also, after a few days of practice literally every swing there's something clicking and moving around in the right shoulder.