haveaniceday

Ey what is this thing

So, uh. I have only the vaguest idea of dan tiens and meridians and all that, my theoretical knowledge is basically nil. But I like to experiment, and I'd seen this dan tien thing mentioned, so I thought I'd try to focus on my lower dan tien for a month and see what happened. This is some time ago. While of course this attention wasn't constant, I did spent the majority of the day with my attention resting in the general area while I did other stuff. I probably spent a lot of it focusing on the false lower dan tien, as I was gassy at times, but I think I found it after a while - at least I was regularly generating a lot of heat. Now about a month in, I decided I'd just keep meditating with as unbroken concentration as I could until something happened (not the best motivation), and eventually there is some kind of activity in the area, and much of it. This turn into an excruciatingly intense and pleasureless sensation, very uncomfortable, very intense. After this has gone on for some time, there is an extinction event, or whatever word you use. Cessation of the self. Then a similarly unbearable sensation manifests in my chest, my hands, my jaw. Now and then there is some shaking. For a while after that it felt like some kind of energy was circulating through my entire body, I was feeling the top of my head and the soles of my feet, my fingers, my wrists, my back etc simultaneously. This new baseline lasted for a few days to a week, if I recall correctly. It's been a while.

What was this experience? And was it a bad idea to conclude the experiment after a month? I've started trying to focus on my lower dan tien all day erry day again, and although I think I (maybe) find the lower dan tien now and then I can't do it consistently, most of the time my attention is just in the neighbourhood. I'm only a couple days in, though. No rush.

If you can get centered in it again, after it is a solid it is good to ground it downwards like the base of a mountain.   To do this;  on the exhale (normal breathing) rest downwards from the dantien, gently at first, until it sits down.  Later you fall through lower, remembering always to not lose the dantien.

This practice gives the dantien room and space, otherwise it can be a bit contracted in there.

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean to gradually extend your attention to your hips, your thighs, hamstrings, feet etc? Do you mean to "glue" yourself to the ground? Or are you talking about something more esoteric?

Hmm, sounds like you had a overload or too of a ”fire” there.

The thing is that it should stop and pass by itself, you felt it subside and pass already so you know it’s ok.

Perhaps don’t rest your awareness there so much, all day err day is definetly too much.

There’s this saying that you should gently warm the dan tien, not scald it, so that you don’t overfocus or are too directly mindful and definetly not all day. Some work, some rest.

When you’re heating, focus on that without being singlepointedly on the dan tien, let it be a noticable place, let yourself feel your heartbeats there, relax.

Check your PM.

@Mudfoot, wanna chime in on this?

21 minutes ago, Rocky Lionmouth said:

@Mudfoot, wanna chime in on this?

😁

If you look at, for example, the water and Fire thread in the daoist section, there is a lot of posts about building the foundation. 

Starting with a lot of focus on the LDT is skipping the basic requirements. 

That leaves you at risk for not being able to handle the reaction. 

You would be better off starting with something more physical, and slowly and gently add the LDT at a later stage. 

The LDT is the center that interacts most with your physicality, so use that. 

At this point, @Gerard would recommend bagwa or xing yi.

If you haven't an innate drive for the complex, try your hand at the later. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mudfoot said:

😁

If you look at, for example, the water and Fire thread in the daoist section, there is a lot of posts about building the foundation. 

Starting with a lot of focus on the LDT is skipping the basic requirements. 

That leaves you at risk for not being able to handle the reaction. 

You would be better off starting with something more physical, and slowly and gently add the LDT at a later stage. 

The LDT is the center that interacts most with your physicality, so use that. 

At this point, @Gerard would recommend bagwa or xing yi.

If you haven't an innate drive for the complex, try your hand at the later. 

Cheers macker, you the bawse!