marko

Zhan Zhuang alignment "rule"

1 hour ago, dwai said:

Our (Temple style) approach is slightly different from other schools of IMA i've encountered.

Sounds interesting. These taiji balls -  sounds like Yin Qi (with the pulling/pushing).

In my training, the focus is primarily on song and ting - most always in the tissues. The idea is that we work on the physical and on releasing the mind - the energy then takes care of itself.

Zi Fa Gong (spontaneous movement) is the energetic aspect... as the energy starts up and begins to move the tissues, (shaking, spasming etc) - most of the time we ting inside, find out where the energy is hitting and we song that area... The movements then change and become more internal. This way the channels and orbits and so on open up by themselves. Often rather fast.

Sometimes though, the zi fa gong takes over and you'll be stuck in a posture holding some strange mudra or chanting some unknown mantra :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rideforever said:

Checklists are fine for 5 minutes, after that do be silent, and feel the intention of the thing.

Thank you for your advice.

The principles become built-in to your body after some time - it becomes automatic. Then it's primarily Song and Ting that's of major importance.

6 minutes ago, freeform said:

Sounds interesting. These taiji balls -  sounds like Yin Qi (with the pulling/pushing).

It is Yin-yang. However can be applied in the yin way or the yang way. 

6 minutes ago, freeform said:

In my training, the focus is primarily on song and ting - most always in the tissues. The idea is that we work on the physical and on releasing the mind - the energy then takes care of itself.

Zi Fa Gong (spontaneous movement) is the energetic aspect... as the energy starts up and begins to move the tissues, (shaking, spasming etc) - most of the time we ting inside, find out where the energy is hitting and we song that area... The movements then change and become more internal. This way the channels and orbits and so on open up by themselves. Often rather fast.

Sometimes though, the zi fa gong takes over and you'll be stuck in a posture holding some strange mudra or chanting some unknown mantra :)

Nice. :) 

44 minutes ago, freeform said:

Then it's primarily Song and Ting that's of major importance.

Shorter checklist only 2 items on it.
And what will they get you, Song and Ting ?   
Power and control of your opponent ?

People speak of Zhan Zhuang, but in fact they have quite different goals and intentions for the practice.
It is the same in many discussions, people are actually doing very practices and for different reasons.

13 minutes ago, rideforever said:

And what will they get you, Song and Ting ?   
Power and control of your opponent ?

These are fundamental aspects of all the Daoist internal arts. ‘They get you’ many different things depending on context.

15 minutes ago, freeform said:

These are fundamental aspects of all the Daoist internal arts. ‘They get you’ many different things depending on context.

Yes ... like what ?
What does Song and Ting get you ?
Why are you practicing ?

11 minutes ago, rideforever said:

Why are you practicing ?

Hmmm - that’s a good question actually. I probably used to have a good answer, but I’m not really sure anymore. It’s just what I do.

Regarding Song and Ting. There are volumes of things that could be discussed. If you want to know then narrow down the context. If you have some other agenda in asking - then just out with it :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, freeform said:

If you have some other agenda in asking - then just out with it :)

I was assuming you knew why you were practicing.

1 minute ago, rideforever said:

I used to see some utility in practice... spiritual growth, developing virtue, discovering more about myself...

But these days I’m just drawn to it deeply and none of these answers do it justice...

it’s like asking why I like nature - beauty, clean air, plants, patterns etc... these are all great but they’re not really why I like nature.

Why do you practice?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, freeform said:

practice

ZZ ? 

In general the most important things are surrender, energetic sensitivity, merging of conscious and subconscious, dissolution of the "body", entry into the unknown.  I also dissolve trauma.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rideforever said:

While this is my personal experience, this might be true for many other practitioners as well -- 

It was so that when I started off with IMA, I wanted to be "powerful" without exerting too much physical effort. Over the years, I found out that the IMA (for me Taijiquan and Dao gong/Shen gong) worked in such a way that it purified my mind. Cleared junk and noise, deepening stillness. 

And when I was able to manifest some of the martial skills we hear of in terms of "woo woo" powers, I lost all interest in that aspect altogether. Now i just practice because I enjoy doing it :) 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, freeform said:

Why do you practice?

Fair questio.

My practice derives from a lifelong ... 50 years anyway ... interest in philosophical Daoism and life long ... 30 + years ... interest in MA. I have practiced Chen style taiji for almost 15 years. Much of what I learned in taiji was directly applicable to my ZZ practice ... and vice versa. IMHO ZZ is essential to good taiji.

Along a different line, I have believed that Daoism cannot be just philosophical ... it needs a practice. I think the Daoist view is the unification of body, mind and spirit. For me that practice is essential and find expression in ZZ and seated meditation. This does not ... at least for me, where I am in my journey ... have to be a very structured prescribed practice. ZZ and simple meditation are sufficient. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, rideforever said:

ZZ ? 

In general the most important things are surrender, energetic sensitivity, merging of conscious and subconscious, dissolution of the "body", entry into the unknown.  I also dissolve trauma.

What about just in general? (off topic, I realise!)

What I meant there is that I have personal reasons for doing ZZ (trauma) and want to separate them.

-------------------------------------

Regarding : why do I practice ?

I read today the statement that Wisdom and Practice are one.

So, no body, no mind, no thought, no action ... just One.
Just One pole.
One fire, no residue.
-------------------------------------

Existence will actually teach directly, and it's a good thing to taste early on.

It speaks to us, it guides us, now and now and now.

It is good no longer to use the props circulated in the human world.

To allow existence to initiate oneself.
To be permanently in initiation.