Did anyone watch the new Doctor Who? I saw it a couple days ago and must admit that it was really good. They regenerated the Doctor into a female, which I admit is a real SJW kinda thing to do, but Jodie Whittaker seems to be doing a good job. She's channeling the David Tenant Doctor - all manic, talking a mile a minute - which I think is a good move. Peter Capaldi was good but just too dark. I'm looking forward to the new episodes. As long as they can avoid hitting me over the head with the PC message I think I'll be alright.

• Like 3

Enjoyed it.  Looking forward to Doctor Her.  It was time.. after 12 men moving between young, old, serious, goofy.. it was time for a bigger change.   It was the highest watched Doctor Who ever(?)  If they write well, it'll be fun to watch.  Too often episodes are horribly formulaic, so I'm hoping for a more human Doctor who travels and explores and doesn't have to save the world daily with last minute plot devices.

Speaking of political correctness it'll be interesting to see how well people, past, future and alien handle a woman taking charge.

As they had already had the Master regenerate as Missy, it didn't come across as overly sjw or pc to me, but more of a natural progression. 

I think Jodie Whittaker did a splendid job, and I'm pleased with the (Yes, reminiscent of Tenant) quirkiness.  Seems it will be a fun season. 

• Like 2

OMG she is totaly perfect, I love her! My favorite Doctors where the 4th Baker and Peter Capaldi.

This  Brilliant woman has aspects of both, loved the first episode can not wait for all that follow.

Oh and I loved, nay, absolutely adored Missy! I hope they bring her back!

Edited by Pilgrim

1 hour ago, ilumairen said:

As they had already had the Master regenerate as Missy, it didn't come across as overly sjw or pc to me, but more of a natural progression. 

I think Jodie Whittaker did a splendid job, and I'm pleased with the (Yes, reminiscent of Tenant) quirkiness.  Seems it will be a fun season. 

I certainly hope its a bunch of seasons.  Nothing like a Doctor with staying power. 

• Like 1

Just now, thelerner said:

I certainly hope its a bunch of seasons.  Nothing like a Doctor with staying power. 

Agreed! Mark my words and mark them well, “Jodi has staying power! She is The Doctor!”

• Like 1

I love the part where she is stabilizing the TARDIS and says "Come to Daddy, I mean Mommy!" That one line, IMO, was perfect since it shows that one cannot live 2000+ years as a male and abandon that self image overnight. 

• Like 1

Ugh. They had to do it. They hired Mr. Big to play a spoof of Trump vs. the giant spiders. Between the spiders (creepy!) and the faux Trump (creepier) I'm thinking this might not work out. Is it too much to ask for good old fashioned Daleks or Cybermen?

7 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

Ugh. They had to do it. They hired Mr. Big to play a spoof of Trump vs. the giant spiders. Between the spiders (creepy!) and the faux Trump (creepier) I'm thinking this might not work out. Is it too much to ask for good old fashioned Daleks or Cybermen?

I haven't watched it yet, and still echo your sentiment about Daleks and Cybermen. :(

• Like 2

I was a little unhappy with the spoilers this morning  but echo the sentiment.

We have a real top notch doctor with Whittacker and good supporting cast the writers so far are not reaching the excellence displayed with Capaldi's and Tenant's doctor.

They seem to be leading up to something big with her though, the third episode hinted at a veiled past she lacks complete knowledge of when she was surrounded by the sheet like creatures and they were calling out her fears.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

They seem to be leading up to something big with her though

In many ways that is the problem. Not every season has to have one big arc. That works for some shows (like Supernatural or The Originals) but isn't appropriate for all shows. I miss the old Who where they would have two-parters mixed in with occasional stand alone episodes for fun.

9 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

We have a real top notch doctor with Whittacker and good supporting cast

I agree! Jodie is fantastic and the trio of companions are a great complement to the new Doctor. I suppose they could lose the step dad and continue with Yasmin and Ryan a-la Rose and Mickey.

On 10/9/2018 at 6:05 PM, Lost in Translation said:

I'm looking forward to the new episodes. As long as they can avoid hitting me over the head with the PC message

I'm still looking forward to the new episodes. Just stop hitting me over the head with the damned hammer!

3 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

I agree! Jodie is fantastic and the trio of companions are a great complement to the new Doctor. I suppose they could lose the step dad and continue with Yasmin and Ryan a-la Rose and Mickey.

I hope Graham (step - grandpa) stays, to help the show avoid getting bogged down in the PC swamp.

Enough already, gray - haired white guys can be pretty darn ok. 

• Like 1

I was expecting a little more explanation to falling from several miles up, smashing through the roof of train then dusting herself off and carrying on, but that's sci fy. 

5 minutes ago, thelerner said:

I was expecting a little more explanation to falling from several miles up, smashing through the roof of train then dusting herself off and carrying on, but that's sci fy. 

That is sci-fi! She was regenerating still so that made her effectively invulnerable to harm. Plus it was the season opener. Her plot-armor was strong in that ep! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, thelerner said:

She's the Doctor. :D 

I also commented on well heck what fear has she of falling from a crane after that in the first episode.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

I mean really, it's bad enough we lost Capaldi - without a Dalek or Cybermen in site. 

And don't forget Missy we lost Missy! He killed herself!!!!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, thelerner said:

Considering Baker died/regenerated after a much shorter fall...

Then again Tenant regrew a hand while still completing his regeneration. 

Edited by ilumairen
  • Like 1

Yep continuity established regeneration is the key but so far I would have to say she has proven to be the most powerful example of it ever, that was one heck of a fall.