Ian

Chinese New Year

My very basic British calendar says it's Chinese New Year today. Is that right? What should we expect from the year of the rat? Any experts care to fling loads of fascinating detail our way? Taomeow?

All of the Chinese professors at our (acupuncture) school were wishing everyone Happy New year yesterday.
It's on the 7th this year.

But due to timezones, that was "yesterday" in China and today in the West.

Happy Birthday to me...

I'm a rat!

:)

Happy birthday, Laoshu! :-)

It's today where you are, Ian, as well as in China, but it was yesterday where I am, in CA, that's because the Chinese New Year is celebrated beginning on the first day of the first Lunar month of the Chinese year and the first Lunar day comes sooner to the West than to the East -- unlike the sun, the moon moves in the opposite direction. So this has to be phased in when determining what kind of a day we're having -- I usually check the solar-lunar calendar converter. Remember the San Niang (inauspicious days) thread of way back when? These days are the 3rd, 7th, 13th, 18th, 22nd and 27th days of every LUNAR month. I try to keep track. Everything has a tendency to get scheduled on these days, they act like some cosmic traps. And everything undertaken on these days goes not quite smoothly, or outright haywire. After collecting enough info from friends and family to convince me that it's not all in my head, I try to schedule nothing of any consequence for those dates if I can help it.

Happy birthday, Laoshu! :-)

I try to schedule nothing of any consequence for those dates if I can help it.

Haha! B)

Your life sounds complicated! ;)

Haha! B)

Your life sounds complicated! ;)

No, it gets complicated only if I fail to do this. If I don't, everything is a breeze. Just happens the way it should, problem free. I have never had my flight delayed, e.g., and I don't know anyone else who can say it. Have never been late to anything important because of traffic, and I don't know anyone else in Southern CA who can say it. And so on.

Edited by Taomeow

Happy Birthday to me...

I'm a rat!

:)

happy birthday

and

new year!

i was born in the year of the rat as well.

from everything i've read,

it should be a grand year for us!

happy birthday

and

new year!

i was born in the year of the rat as well.

from everything i've read,

it should be a grand year for us!

Where have you read what you've read? How does it look for monkeys and snakes?