yojimbo

Dao primers?

Hi all, so first post and all that, I've been doing some reading into the dao from various sources, currently BKF, and while I am pretty sure he has a good handle on things, I suspect that as with a lot of his stuff there are other options that are also valid. I understand that the "Dao that can be spoken" etc, but are there any other writers/sources that are worth reading around? I expect there is a lot of stuff _not_ worth reading, I probably already own it too! Cheers, Jim

• Like 3

Hello, Yojimbo, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Yo! Jimbo!

Glad you came to check it out here.  BKF is someone who has many opinions swirling around, some good and some not so good.  I haven't read his Dao stuff, but on this forum I'm sure you will find lots of links and info regarding Daoist authors and subjects. I hope you enjoy. 

You are welcome to jump right in to the ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Fa Xin 

Hi Yojimbo.  Welcome.

Yes, there are many aspects of Taoism and many different perspectives within those aspects.

Whatever feels "right" to you is likely the path you should walk.  Not always true though, especially if we are already illusional and delusional.

Thanks all, I was possibly expecting the moon on a stick when I asked that, but I needed a first post, and I was also curious to know if there were any well regarded modern authors that gave a balanced view that was generally worth reading. I'll have a brows around the forum and see what turns up. I've already seen some good stuff worth thinking upon, or rather, worth not thinking upon ;-)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Try to avoid my posts.  That will surely help.

I'll second this :)

And welcome.  Nice refreshing post... not that others are not but I choose this day to read yours :P

• Like 1

And it really depends on your interest.   But I would recommend:

1. The Daodejing sub-forum topics on Laozi and Zhuangzi  

2. FLowing Hands translation of the DDJ

3. Livia Kohn books

Past that, continue to share your interests as folks here are usually open to help guide one to teachings, topics, teachers that helped them on their path.

• Like 2

Cool, I shall check them out. I actually ended up somewhat because of the Jehova's Witnesses. I'd found the forum before, and it was lurking in my mind, and I'd read stuff before etc etc, but a couple of weeks ago the JW's turned up at the door. A chap and his son, and to be fair he was pleasant enough and wanted to engage me in conversation and I was in the mood so I obliged, for about 30 minutes. I spent that time countering a lot of the usual angles, which was amusing, because I had enough stored in the grey matter to whip out during an emergency theological door step debate. Usually these kind of encounters dont go well because they are prepped and you aren't. Anyway, it got round to the thing with "What can you really achieve in your life, learn a language or an instrument, when the important thing is what happens after and you get eternity in Heaven", and my position was that what happens after I died wasn't really of importance now, and whether you achieve much of measure, or not, the point was to be present in that moment, and not focussing on it purely as an investment for my afterlife.

I kind of realised that really was something to focus on, being present, and it was worth looking into some more. Which led me to looking at some of what BKF has done,  posting here, etc.

The notion of finding a teacher seems, difficult.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, yojimbo said:

Cool, I shall check them out. I actually ended up somewhat because of the Jehova's Witnesses. I'd found the forum before, and it was lurking in my mind, and I'd read stuff before etc etc, but a couple of weeks ago the JW's turned up at the door. A chap and his son, and to be fair he was pleasant enough and wanted to engage me in conversation and I was in the mood so I obliged, for about 30 minutes. I spent that time countering a lot of the usual angles, which was amusing, because I had enough stored in the grey matter to whip out during an emergency theological door step debate. Usually these kind of encounters dont go well because they are prepped and you aren't. Anyway, it got round to the thing with "What can you really achieve in your life, learn a language or an instrument, when the important thing is what happens after and you get eternity in Heaven", and my position was that what happens after I died wasn't really of importance now, and whether you achieve much of measure, or not, the point was to be present in that moment, and not focussing on it purely as an investment for my afterlife.

I kind of realised that really was something to focus on, being present, and it was worth looking into some more. Which led me to looking at some of what BKF has done,  posting here, etc.

The notion of finding a teacher seems, difficult.

Nice to read.  Either you connect with JW or not.   Just make a clear distinction for yourself.  You seem to share a nice view, IMO.

Focusing on being present can become a preoccupation of focusing.... a kind of obsessive 'doing' as focusing.   when you walk into the purview of the sun, do you suddenly look up at it or shield yourself from it ? As if to say, I feel you ?

There is a journey destined for you.  That is your inner voice talking to you, like the sun. 

Thanks for the kind words. I don't really go in for the JW stuff at all but it was fun to discuss with him. It's also true, that I have been ignoring that inner voice for far too long, even though I knew it was there. I wasn't quite sure where it was trying to take me before though, it makes more sense now. Funny how long it an take the obvious to become obvious, and the stupid lessons learned before that happens!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yojimbo said:

Thanks for the kind words. I don't really go in for the JW stuff at all but it was fun to discuss with him. It's also true, that I have been ignoring that inner voice for far too long, even though I knew it was there. I wasn't quite sure where it was trying to take me before though, it makes more sense now. Funny how long it an take the obvious to become obvious, and the stupid lessons learned before that happens!

I had one of those rare moments of hearing your inner voice talking as you talked... so why I suggested you listen to it.  :)

Explore the site and see what arises in thought ;) 

• Like 2