Maybe

Practicing in the Pool

Hi all.

I've been practicing Flying Phoenix for about two weeks now, and I'm really enjoying it.

A heat wave is about to hit Southern California unfortunately, and I don't want to break my streak of practice. 

So my question is, is qigong (or specifically Flying Phoenix if anyone knows) safe to practice in the water? I know a strong wind is no go, but what about a nice mellow pool?

• Like 1

I can only speak for qigong in general and not FP...but yes that takes qi out of your body in a similar way to the wind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ideas:

Practice first thing in the morning, after the environment has been cooled by the night.

In the shade rather than under the sun, of course.

Nothing wrong with a "gentle breeze", but when it reaches the point of it being a "wind" then it has the negative effect. Intuition and/or experience tells us which is which.

Air conditioning is useful.

If you live near caves, they can be cooler temp.

• Like 2

If the water is cold it is generally considered bad. Chun yi lin denounces tai chi practiced in pools because it allows cold to get into the body, and generally worsens conditions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do some practice, work up a little healthy sweat, then take a dip ! Just stay hydrated.

Edited by Fa Xin
  • Like 2

On 7/4/2018 at 6:32 AM, Aetherous said:

I can only speak for qigong in general and not FP...but yes that takes qi out of your body in a similar way to the wind.

Is this a fact?

On 7/4/2018 at 6:34 AM, Starjumper said:

Actually it's worse because water is much more conductive than air.

When an element is conductive it's bad for your qi? I honestly assumed that if one can master or get good at practice, the elements provide an additional layer to get to the next level. I feel like adding the element of water would create stronger sensitivity/connection to ones body and therefore create more energy.

On 7/4/2018 at 12:15 PM, JohnC said:

If the water is cold it is generally considered bad. Chun yi lin denounces tai chi practiced in pools because it allows cold to get into the body, and generally worsens conditions.

Can see how cold would be bad, since it's uncomfortable. Wonder if it has to do with the person's ability to be in control during those situations. Almost like adding more weight to your bench press, progressive overload?

I'm asking all of this, because i had a theory that the elements can help us get further along. Didn't think of wind, but i thought water would definitely help. Based on this theory, i also believed we will one use water tanks and be fully submerged, to heal ourselves through meditation. Think those water tanks in Dragon Ball Z when the fighters are healing after long battle. And countless other movies including star wars.

Intuitively speaking this made sense. Though i know a lot of times it can be wrong. I was even thinking of creating an wearable invention that would mimic the feel of water, therefore creating faster recovery, better connection of ones body, and of course to practice qigong.

Also, don't we come from water?

I'm just throwing all this out there and am being cautious with what i do and what i dont. I think the amount of incremental pieces one can start putting together that is highly optimized is probably the best way to go if one actually has a big goal with these practices. it only makes sense to optimize in this direction.

22 minutes ago, welkin said:

When an element is conductive it's bad for your qi? I honestly assumed that if one can master or get good at practice, the elements provide an additional layer to get to the next level. I feel like adding the element of water would create stronger sensitivity/connection to ones body and therefore create more energy.

For cultivating power you want to not give off too much.  I had the ability to send energy by using intent (without movement or posture) and once when I went to the pool with Mr. Yueng and his wife I suggested trying to emit energy in the water and he said don't do it.

Since water is conductive I would have given too much away.

• Like 2

Playing devil's advocate. Though honestly choosing to be contrarian and not accept answers. With full respect though.

If water is conductive and so is air. Is it not possible to receive an additional or more profound type of energy that one could not receive through the usual means? I feel like these elements are here for a reason.

Could it be that it would take a more advanced level to train in these conditions and be able to retain energy?