Maybe

Practicing in the Pool

Hi all.

I've been practicing Flying Phoenix for about two weeks now, and I'm really enjoying it.

A heat wave is about to hit Southern California unfortunately, and I don't want to break my streak of practice. 

So my question is, is qigong (or specifically Flying Phoenix if anyone knows) safe to practice in the water? I know a strong wind is no go, but what about a nice mellow pool?

• Like 1

I can only speak for qigong in general and not FP...but yes that takes qi out of your body in a similar way to the wind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ideas:

Practice first thing in the morning, after the environment has been cooled by the night.

In the shade rather than under the sun, of course.

Nothing wrong with a "gentle breeze", but when it reaches the point of it being a "wind" then it has the negative effect. Intuition and/or experience tells us which is which.

Air conditioning is useful.

If you live near caves, they can be cooler temp.

• Like 2

If the water is cold it is generally considered bad. Chun yi lin denounces tai chi practiced in pools because it allows cold to get into the body, and generally worsens conditions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Do some practice, work up a little healthy sweat, then take a dip ! Just stay hydrated.

Edited by Fa Xin
  • Like 2