Sign in to follow this  
alchemystical

I asked for a Baklava and got a Bhavacakra instead...

But I suppose thats what happens when you talk Greek to a Buddhist :lol:

Folks, I know not much about the Buddhists and their ways but I saw one of these the other day:

wheeloflife.jpg

And was told this is to provide outsiders with answers to the way these cropped hair and saffron robe chaps view the world and it actually left me more confused than when I started. Did a quick bit of searching but thought I'd turn to you lot for "real deal insider scoop". Questions:

Why is there a three eyed demon holding the world? Is this symbolic or literal?

Whats the deal with the 5 smiling skull clowns in its head?

Could anyone illuminate the meaning of the hungry ghost realm and how it connects with those in this realm?

What are your general thoughts on this imagery and what is the most powerful thing it says to you?

Many thanks

demon is illusory, and so is the world - the skulls get the joke

perhaps you should have asked for a balaclava instead :lol:

• Thanks 1

Strange, I told a Tibetan Buddhist

I wanted to be one with everything

and he gave me baklava, in a bun.

• Thanks 1

The whole image is a representation of the path to Enlightenment. Some people believe Buddha himself made this illustration.

The demon is Mara, he is something like an illusion which keeps you spinning and from reaching enlightenment (the moon at the top left). 

The three animals in the middle are really the most important, they represent Greed, Lust, and Hatred (Some say Ignorance). They keep beings spinning in the wheel. Notice how each animal is connected to the other like a circle. 

The six realms are mental states a person can be in and each have their own advantages and disadvantages. You will also notice each realm has a buddha in it, meaning beings in each realm can reach enlightenment. (To some tibetans the realms are literal).

Animals are always in lust and fear. Hungry ghosts can eat and eat but never be satisfied. The gods are always lazy(cant think of the right word at the moment) and out of touch with reality, letting time slip by. The demi-gods are always jealous.

You might find some more information here:

https://www.amazon.com/Enter-Infinite-James-Van-Gelder/dp/0996192913

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this