Immortal

Kechari Mudra

One of my teachers once told me that you if you accumulated 1000 hours trying to do Ketchari Mudra, ie reaching as far back with the tongue as you can, you would achieve it. May have been a flippant comment, hard to tell.

One of my teachers once told me that you if you accumulated 1000 hours trying to do Ketchari Mudra, ie reaching as far back with the tongue as you can, you would achieve it. May have been a flippant comment, hard to tell.

well you would think that with that much practice it would happen. but i know some that have practiced alot longer than me and still cant do it. i am sure there are many reasons. but one shouldnt cut it, at least not in the true Kriyayoga path. its also hard to say if it actually does connect the du and the ren as i stated earlier as the tongue behind the teeth on the hard palate is really the place but who's to say the khechari doesnt. I know from my studies in taoist esoteric thought that alot of how and what they practice must have came from India in the first place. Elixir of immortality for instance, never knew what that was and how to actually have it happen etc until I became a Kriyaban in the true tradition. LOL it has cleared alot of allegory up that i studied for years in the taoist thought. no disrespect to the Tao mind you. LOL I am still a Doctor of Oriental Medicine and taoist thought is a huge basis on how we practice and where our medicine comes from.

Bumping this thread.

Anyone practises khechari mudra?Anyone achived it,as there is meant to be a certain change of understanding in life for it to be permanent.If yes ,any feedback?

And you people who practise just tongue rolled up a bit,do you get juice from it?Whenever you want?Just deep in your practise?

Do you practise always or just when doing certain cultivation techniques?

Bumping this thread.

thanks for bumping this thread man. I forgot about pursuing this and I tried to cut once but too painful, maybe an operation would speed things up? :)

http://www.kriyayogainfo.net/files/Kriya%2...%20complete.pdf

the bottom of page 82 seems to have some exercises you can perform to achieve khechari mudra

the link didn't work/too old so searched and found a book with similar name but didn't find practice on p84 (though it's an interesting read and shows the sufi connections) so searched again and here is what I found so far:

from glossary of http://www.kriyayogainfo.net/files/English%20III.pdf

Kechari Mudra This Mudra is carried in one of the two following ways:

1. By placing the tongue in contact with the uvula at the back of the soft palate.

2. By slipping the tongue into the nasal pharynx touching, if possible, the nasal septum.

According to Lahiri Mahasaya a kriyaban should achieve it not by cutting the

tongue Fraenulum but by means of Talabya Kriya [see]. Kechari is literally translated as

"the state of those who fly in the sky", in the "inner space". Kechari is compared to an

electrical bypass of the mind's energetic system. It changes the path of Prana flow

causing the life force to be withdrawn from the thinking process. Instead of allowing

the thoughts to jump like frogs here and there, it causes the mind to be quiet and allows

focusing it on the goal of meditation. We do not realize the quantity of energy we

squander away when we get lost in our thoughts, in our plans. Kechari turns this

pernicious way of exhausting all of our vitality into its opposite. The mind begins to

lose its despotic role: the "inner activity" happens no more by the thinking process but

by the effortless development of the intuition. Coupled with Kriya it is a substantial aid

in clarify one's complicated psychological structures. A more elusive claim is the

experience of the elixir of life, "Amrita," the "Nectar." This is a fluid with sweet taste

perceived by the kriyaban when the tip of his tongue touches either the uvula or the

bone protrusion in the roof of the palate under the hypophysis. The Yoga tradition

explains that there is a Nadi going through the center of the tongue; energy radiates

through its tip and when it touches that bone protrusion, this radiation reaches and

stimulates the Ajna Chakra in the center of the brain.

so how to do Talabya Kriya?

videos

http://www.kriyayogainfo.net/Eng_Downloads2.html

excerpts from

http://www.kriyayogainfo.net/files/English%20III.pdf

page 14

Oddly enough, Talabya Kriya doesn't require concentrating on anything, it

is purely physical. Furthermore, we can remark that merely pressing the tongue

against the upper palate, maintaining the suction effect on the palate for 10-15

seconds, can, in and of itself, generate sensitivity in the Ajna Chakra area in a

very short time. The detail of extending the tongue plays an important part too.

When the tongue is fully extended, it pulls on some cranial bones and leads to

decompression in the Rudra Granthi area.

page 55

"piercing the knot of the tongue ... happens

also when the tongue tip is simply turned back to touch the middle of the upper

palate at the point where the hard palate become soft: the current passes through

the tongue, comes down into body and spine." (Chapter 7) Anyone can do this.

this site seems like it is made by an Italian kriyaban and his pdfs are very informative. What do you think of his info SiliconValley?

Search kechari on this forum and on advancedyogapractices.com

by Desert Eagle:

maybe an operation would speed things up? :)

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9537

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=359

Edited by Desert Eagle
  • Like 2

thanks for bumping this thread man. I forgot about pursuing this and I tried to cut once but too painful, maybe an operation would speed things up? :)

The tongue is a muscle and can be streched .Therefore operations IMO are unecesarry and not really my cup of tea anyway :wacko: and be careful with cutting yourself I worry.

When the shift happens psychologically/spiritually kechari mudra should become possible.

• Like 1

I just recently managed to get the tongue into the nasal pharynx. I've been practicing the basic form loosely since this January, and every day during pranayama and meditation since April, so about 3 months of regular practice. I havent cut at all and wasn't even expecting to get so far this fast as the book I've been practicing from only gives the basic form (not going further back than the uvula) only briefly mentioning that theres an advanced form that involves surgical techniques and should only be done under supervision. After getting comfortable in the basic form I started reading around to see if I could go further without cutting when I came across a tip on Yogani's AYP site where he suggests to use a finger to push the tongue further back to the left or right side of the uvula because it is very difficult to get it behind the uvula for the first time if you go straight through the middle. This worked and got my tongue just past the uvula at which point I was able to stretch the soft palate far enough to where the tongue could enter the nasal pharynx easily, no longer needing to go around the uvula and without finger help. I didnt find the septum or nostrils to be as sensitive as Yogani cautioned they might be, likely because I've been doing jala neti daily for the last year and a half and so maybe my sensitivity in that area is a bit less than what it was. Or maybe thats not the reason but I don't see any other obvious explanation.

As far as its effects on my practice, I would say that it almost instantly became rather easy to sit in siddhasana for the 45 minutes of pranayama and meditation, something I couldnt do without a break in between with the basic form of khechari. Also, during alternate nostril breathing I used to have some trouble taking 12 seconds on each inhale and 24 on the exhale with 5 seconds inner breath retention. Now I can keep it going almost effortlessly. Ujjayi breathing helps enormously with this also and, as far as I understand, khechari and ujjayi go hand in hand.

I also find it interesting that I can now check which nostril is more blocked with my tongue by feeling the erectile tissue in the pharynx. And I find it doubly interesting that both stay equally open 95% of the time during pranayama practice if I'm in khechari, although I'm sure siddhasana helps in no small way with this. Having a blocked nostril even after neti used to be a huge annoyance for me during pranayama for the last year or so. Ujjayi breathing helped a lot by making it easier to breathe through a blocked nostril but this has taken it a step further by opening them up somehow, and I'm not even sure how the mechanism works because I only touch the septum with my tongue and never the nostrils directly.

Sorry if I'm talking too much about Indian yoga on a Taoist forum but I find most of the practices intersect at certain points anyhow.

... I havent cut at all and wasn't even expecting to get so far this fast as the book I've been practicing from only gives the basic form (not going further back than the uvula) only briefly mentioning that theres an advanced form that involves surgical techniques and should only be done under supervision.

Hello Nikolay,

I would just like to use opportunity to mention again that I know quite a few yogis (from all walks of life) that have achieved kechari mudra . Kechari mudra as constant practise and a always available tool is a state of being and none of those yogis required or did any form of surgeryon their tongue.

Quickly achieveing kechari beats the point of kechari becouse to achieve kechari sucessfully with clear mind and open heart -- one must be able to wait and have patience and perserverance no matter what.

About 7 years ago after a prolonged reterat I was in that state for about 3 months and amrita was flowing , it was very blissfull and extremly insightfull and I am glad I had the expireience. However it was too intenese as I wasnt prepared to know and understand life so radically different, so through intenese prayers and with help of my teacher this was somehow reversed /slowed down.

Throughout years afterwards I was grounding myself and allowing change and different understanding come through slowly and am working on perfecting kechari. It definetly has trumendous benefits, incredible really , but would reccomend practising with someone who has achieved it.

Some practises could be practised eaisly without teacher , some are not reccomeneded.

khecari mudra...forced technique...or spontaneous unfolding of "post-genital puberties"...?

...For, in energetically based Yoga, the teenager's vibrancy blooms on and on in what I have termed the "postgenital puberties" of the spine and the rest of the body (via spontaneous asanas, bandhas, and khecari, shambhavi, unmani, and other esoteric mudras). Kundalini's spinal awakening is just the first to become known in the West..."

- Stuart Sovatsky, "Kundalini and Sahaja (Spontaneous )Yoga:A Next Step for Yoga in the West"

http://www.cit-sakti.com/kundalini/sahaja-spontaneous-yoga.htm

"FOURTH DECADE Dharana begins: the dawning of awesome awareness of/as endless impermanence and soteriological radiance-secretions of tejas ("brilliance-radiance" of spiritual zeal) and virya ("virtue-secretion/ radiance") emerge; advanced asanas, mudras, bandhas (inner yearning-contractions) and shaking mature the body for more intensified energies; dhyana begins: devout and unwavering appreciation of the flow of endless impermanence and the poignant grace of life; the puberties of the linguistic anatomy (tongue, larynx, brain centers) underlying further meditative/mental maturation begin: simha-asana (tongue-extended "lion-pose" seen in certain goddess images) and nabho mudra (inward-turned tongue, "heaven-delight gesture") precursors of khecari mudra (tongue curls back in delight above the soft palate), initiating the puberties of the hypoglossal-larnyx, hypothalamus, pituitary and pineal; anahata- nada, known rudimentarily as "speaking in tongues" and resounding in the sacred chantings of numerous cultures, emerge;

FIFTH DECADE The desire-self identity matures toward the immortal soul-self identity; auras (auric glow of spiritual maturity) emerges; continuation of khecari mudra, culminating in the subtle pineal secretion-radiance of soma or amrita ("immortal-time essence," revitalizing melatoninlike, endorphin-like hormone)."

- Stuart Sovatsky, "Mother Kundalini and the Far-reaches of Human Maturation"

http://stuart.kzar.ru/node/48

Edited by Ulises