Lost in Translation

The Useless

5 minutes ago, Limahong said:

2nd apology ...

- LimA

Hehehe.  You are not the first one who has stepped over the line.  I'll bet you didn't even know there was a line.

20 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Hehehe.  You are not the first one who has stepped over the line.  I'll bet you didn't even know there was a line.

Hi Dada-da,

Don't laugh. I don't know there is a line. I am a relatively new kid on the TDB block.

I was thinking only of the strawberries which were sweet.

I am innocent. Please don't put me on the line.

SOS.

- LimA

(Going to a meeting. Meanwhile please help me.)

Edited by Limahong
Correct errors.

3 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Hi Dada-da,

Don't laugh. I don't know there is a line. I am a relatively new kid on the TDB block.

I was thinking only of the strawberries which are sweet.

I am innocent. Please don't put me on the line.

SOS.

- LimA

(Going to a meeting. Meanwhile please help me.)

Hehehe.  You're not in trouble.  I know you are a relative newbee.  It takes a long time to know who has which buttons, if any.

Just continue being your self.  You are doing fine.

8 hours ago, Marblehead said:

It takes a long time to know who has which buttons, if any.

No more SOS - lifted.

Now going to meeting in peace.

Good day to Strawberry and all.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Correct errors.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Limahong said:

Bloody hell to rogues - not at all useful.

I blame Lost in Translation for starting this useless thread.

BLOODY HELL!

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Correct errors.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Get your self beyond praise and blame.  Objective reality is all that matters.

O Dada-da,

You are Wisdom personified!

Good day.

- LimA

• Like 1

Limahong,

Theres data we dont have usually, and that is comprised of the sentiments , or the reactions that folks have in their heads, to the objective reality set before us.

For instance, Mh and I give each other a hard time on paper, but theres no animosity .. 

So one can consider the useless to be the objective words, which store no meaning,

or one can consider the sentiments as useless , for not corresponding to the objective words, its just in our mind how the words are spun. 

So I feel the lesson is that one should see the situation both ways. 

Similarly, I take it that Mh says push, as a playful exaggeration ,

and bloody hell to rogues, means LIT feels the sentiment of disconcern for men is wrong or perhaps sexist. 

Rene has her man, and doesnt want to be manipulated by ExCessive gender attention

Personally I prefer to look at the use paradigm thingie, as suggesting that the important thing to be considering , is not the words themselves ,as a lawyer might, but rather looking foremost to the sentiments that they convey , the effect they have on people. 

Its just Not a straight factual connection , that the way a thing is said, is how it will for fact be taken, which you already know, but the story is just dredging this up and pointing at it. 

The importance of a life is not the mass consumed or retained , its the spiritual content.   Filling bellies is important only to the extent that the people are content ... etc and so forth.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stosh said:

The importance of a life is not the mass consumed or retained , its the spiritual content.   Filling bellies is important only to the extent that the people are content ... etc and so forth.

Hi Stosh,

Thank you for the extended post. I really appreciate your time and thoughts.

I join TDB to find closure on duality. Prior to this, I wanted to do a serious research on Taoism as an Eastern slant on duality to Western binary thinking. But no green lights - from my professors.

On my own - Taoist dualities pertain to life's comedies. Everything inherently has two sides.

And no one can force his/her thinking on me. I will not retaliate even when I am hit below the belt.

I am brought up with humility as a virtue. But I have no appetite for humble pies.

Please don't offer me any. Why? I will not bite.

Live and let live - from both sides of any life's equation.

Thank you again.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Correct errors.
  • Like 3

One of the reasons I prefer useful/useless over dualities is that dualities are black and white, beautiful/ugly, whereas there are no distinct colors with useful/useless, just shades of all the different colors; shades of grey, if you will.

"I join TDB to find closure on duality. Prior to this, I wanted to do a serious research on Taoism as an Eastern slant on duality to Western binary thinking. But no green lights - from my professors."

(Others surely will disagree with me ) , but frankly I would be tempted to research whether there actually is any difference in thinking which can be ascribed to -some sort of reduction in the consideration of dualistic percepting- by either group, related to either religion or philosophy among the laity. To Me , the whole yin yang thing generally appears to be reinforcement of dualistic ideas for most, not its negation.

A very simple example of a western non-dualist idea is that of ' apples vs bananas ' , they aren't opposites ,

obviously , they're both fruit.

Another, , we don't stop at describing things as hot or cold, we divide all temperatures into degrees from absolute zero

OR from an arbitrary 0 Fahrenheit.  

Neither group sees the world as divided into just black and white , just some issues. We consider elements as coming at least 118 flavors! Perhaps someone considers earth air fire and water as elements ,

(If you want to get technical there seems to be only four forces which enact the whole material world. )

but it is still not a binary-either-or   proposition.

• Like 1

The lock upon my garden gate's a snail, that's what it is.
First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.
The caterpillar sheds his skin to find a butterfly within.
Caterpillar sheds his skin to find a butterfly within.
First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain.
Oh Juanita, oh Juanita, oh Juanita, I call your name.
Oh, the snow will be a blinding sight to see as it lies on yonder hillside.
Ah, my-my.
First there is a mountain

"First There is a Mountain" by Donovan

Oh Juanita, I call your name. 

One can only reside in uselessness for so long.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

Ugh. All this talk of uselessness is exhausting.

Hi Lost in Translation,

I beg to differ. The talk is far from exhausting - it is energizing. It is thought provoking.

I would like to add here that per the TDB postings I have read thus far, a majority pertains to positive energies - the hallmarks of Taoism?

Per this thread, I am clowning all the while. Why?

6 hours ago, Limahong said:

Taoist dualities pertain to life's comedies.

There is a free flow of positive chi invigorating the shen for enlivened dialogues.

In the midst of stimulating provinces such as this thread, any slightest  inflow of negative energies will have me up 'on guard'. Why? Like an animal, I can sense very quickly something untoward.

On the other hand, like an animal, I like to bask in sunshine as intended by Nature. Your thread has good sunshine despite a little dark passing cloud.

This thread is not exhausting. Thank you for the 'useless' seed. It grows on me with myself as one who likes to laugh at himself and life at large.

Tomorrow - where will I be? I don't know. But today I am here and at this moment I am thanking you - that much I know. Know what? Basking in a useful 'useless' thread.

- LimA

• Like 2

On 10/2/2017 at 6:37 AM, Marblehead said:

It takes a long time to know who has which buttons, if any.

Hi Dada-da,

I signed up with TDB as a nobody and wish to remain very much so whilst trying/learning to traverse wuwei-lessly. Please advise on the relevance/significance of 'buttons' to a nobody now cultivating wuwei roots.

Wuwei roots? Perhaps I will realize soon enough that there is no such roots. That realization will suit me just fine. Why? As a nobody, I want to be rootless with respect to others ('buttons' or otherwise).

I believe that there will come a time when nobody will want me (as a nobody) to know him/her as a 'button'.  When that time comes, I hope to be light enough to inch towards the Void without a body (no body) to tow.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Correct errors.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Limahong said:

Hi Dada-da,

I signed up with TDB as a nobody and wish to remain very much so whilst trying/learning to traverse wuwei-lessly. Please advise on the relevance/significance of 'buttons' to a nobody now cultivating wuwei roots.

Buttons are those things we say that activate other people's emotions.  I don't have a problem with people having emotions.  I have mine and like them rather well.

It's just that when a discussion becomes emotional more often than not logic is lost.  No reason to continue the discussion.

Wuwei roots? Perhaps I will realize soon enough that there is no such roots. That realization will suit me just fine. Why? As a nobody, I want to be rootless with respect to others ('buttons' or otherwise).

Oh, we all have our roots.  There is stuff in our subconscious mind that controls most of our life without conscious thought.  This is where most of out dualistic thinking takes place.  It is also where all our prejudices live.

Yes, to be rootless.  Perhaps this is the Sage who has no opinions of her own.  (I have never know a woman who did not have millions of opinions.)  

Yes, the Sage comes and goes and no one ever knows that anything happened.  But then, that might be a pretty boring life.

I believe that there will come a time when nobody will want me (as a nobody) to know him/her as a 'button'.  When that time comes, I hope to be light enough to inch towards the Void without a body (no body) to tow.

You said that well enough so that I don't need to comment to it.

- LimA

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Buttons are those things we say that activate other people's emotions. da I don't have a problem with people having emotions.  I have mine and like them rather well.

Hi Dada-da,

Are the buttons cultivated on (i) Taoist soil with Taoist roots or are they (ii) TDB's idiosyncrasies?

If (i), it will not be a problem for me as a nobody - learning wuwei-lessly to be a Taoist whatever it is per me.

If (ii), are the idiosyncrasies - positive/negative energies? If positive, great - Taoism underlines life's comedies, even the dark ones. If negative, are they the historical/organisational burdens of TDB? If so, what have they got to do with me? I only arrived at TDB on 27 Mar 2017? Positive energies - to be shared. Negative energies - to be buried. Yes/no?

'I have mine and like them rather well' - I learned this over time. That's why: Marblehead => Dada =>Dada-da.

3 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Oh, we all have our roots.  There is stuff in our subconscious mind that controls most of our life without conscious thought.  This is where most of out dualistic thinking takes place.  It is also where all our prejudices live.

OMG - how can a stone think with such depths? My hat's off to you. Amazing.

Yes, to be rootless.  Perhaps this is the Sage who has no opinions of her own.  (I have never know a woman who did not have millions of opinions.)

Don't be a sexist and get me into trouble ... But Sage sags with age? My friends asked me to ask - nothing to do with me. Who = Sage?

Yes, the Sage comes and goes and no one ever knows that anything happened.  But then, that might be a pretty boring life.

To each his/her own. Now I am just fine with blueberries. Blue is less dangerous than red.

You said that well enough so that I don't need to comment to it.

I rest my case.

OM

- LimA

Hi Dada-da,

Are the buttons cultivated on (i) Taoist soil with Taoist roots or are they (ii) TDB's idiosyncrasies?

If (i), it will not be a problem for me as a nobody - learning wuwei-lessly to be a Taoist whatever it is per me.

If (ii), are the idiosyncrasies - positive/negative energies? If positive, great - Taoism underlines life's comedies, even the dark ones. If negative, are they the historical/organisational burdens of TDB? If so, what have they got to do with me? I only arrived at TDB on 27 Mar 2017? Positive energies - to be shared. Negative energies - to be buried. Yes/no?

We can't generalize them as good/bad, positive/negative.  They are ingrained so that they act like instincts.  They are rooted in our experiences and what we are taught when we are young.  It's almost impossible to get rid of them.  Therefore we should try to understand they so that they all work in our best interest.

'I have mine and like them rather well' - I learned this over time. That's why: Marblehead => Dada =>Dada-da.

Yeah, well, I think a life without emotions would be equal to not having a life at all.

OMG - how can a stone think with such depths? My hat's off to you. Amazing.

I'm not thinking - just responding to you.  (But thanks for the "hats off".

Don't be a sexist and get me into trouble ... But Sage sags with age? My friends asked me to ask - nothing to do with me. Who = Sage?

We never know where I am going.  Spontaneity is like that.

To each his/her own. Now I am just fine with blueberries. Blue is less dangerous than red.

Oh, sure.  Blueberries are swell.  But you have never tasted heaven until you have tasted a red raspberry.

I rest my case.

You have no case.

OM

- LimA

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

You have no case.

Hi Dada-da,

Sure, no case when it comes to the useless.

But yes to the useful - as I am not sleepless.

When east is east and west is west,

It's time I put my useful case to rest.

Good night to my Dada-da

As I sleep in my Shangri-la.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Correct errors.
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Hi Dada-da,

Sure, no case when it comes to the useless.

But yes to the useful - as I am not sleepless.

When east is east and west is west,

It's time I put my useful case to rest.

Good night to my Dada-da

As I sleep in my Shangri-la.

- LimA

LimA, you missed your calling. You could write children's books. You could be the next Dr. Seuss!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

... you missed your calling.

Hi Lost in Translation,

I did not miss my calling.

As I caught your mailing.

Good night. It is 2+am at my end.

- LimA

• Like 1