Starjumper

True fajin - explosive strike - one inch punch

Take the video from Michael Sternback, the jin in the palm strike travels from the hind leg up, through the waist and then through the flick of the wrist with a low expression of a push, no follow through. The 'pre-heaven' method video has a greater emphasis of the push. Does fajin necessarily have a pushing energy in it? Now that depends on how fajin is being explained and taught. Some of you have learnt taijichuan, so lets take the short 'punch from beneath the elbow' technique, do you punch with a push like Bruce Lee's one-inch punch or just punch without the push? On the other hand, if you execute the short punch with jin and without the push, will the target stumble backwards even without the punch following through? Just a short burst of a punch. Try it on a hanging sand-bag to find out. If you are going to go through a lot of body motion to execute a palm strike, the technique becomes impractical and if the hind leg is not firmly rooted when the strike the executed, much of the jin is dissipated (and no fajin) and what one sees is just an expression of li, strength. Now, that is my take on the subject.

As for Southern martial arts, one of the most impressive fajin I ever saw was by a elderly gentleman who was a Wu-ju (5-Ancestor Shaolin) exponent who did a 'Gou sai shui' (similar to a dog shaking off water from its body). Most Chinese traditional external systems would end their curriculum with a internal energy set: Hungjia with their Steel-wire fist set, White-crane, Needle-in-the-cotton, Northern Shaolin, with their Taming the tiger, to illustrate my point. So, external systems begin the cultivation from the external to internal, and neijia, internal systems, the other way round. Fajin in these systems differ from each other, some expressively explosive, others subtly. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sudhamma said:

Ever wonder that fajin can be physically expressed differently from that sudden explosive power (as shown in the video posted by Michael Sternback) to a seemingly indiscernible soft execution (as shown in the video posted by Wells minus the fire-starters)? The difference is in the degree of qi-cultivation between the masters, some attaining higher level than others and do not necessarily be visually expressive when 'fajin' in throwing or incapacitating the opponent. A high-level master can fajin with his back, shoulders and fore-arms, hands not just the one-inch punch or palm. In the Southern arts, fajin and fali come together, in executing the 'external' forms/toulu of those MA, jin and li have to be expressed otherwise, it is merely brutish or tasteless. So, everyone is talking about the same thing yet failing to agree with each other. Hope that I've not touched any raw nerves, and i apologise if I do.

No problem, I already addressed that with the second post on this thread

One thing I'm presenting is to demonstrate that those who say that the energy stuff is the only true fajin are incorrect.  Also the more common term is for the explosive strike.  A short push just doesn't seem too special to me.

I can push people with energy but I don't think of that as fajin and I never will.  My teacher could move his hand suddenly one inch and standing ten feet away it felt like getting hit by a pressure wave of an explosion.  Maybe you could call that fajin but I never thought about it, I go with the traditional use of the word fajin, that is all.

Edited by Starjumper

5 hours ago, Hancock said:

I think this might be genuine, what's your take on it? I see/feel  a kind of for lack of better words a force push the people back, looks like compressed air or fog. Might just be me but yeah, so I was wondering if you guys can tell if this is genuinely fajin

Personally I call it what it is, pushing.  I don't often use Chinese words, and now I know why, it can turn into a circus of who thinks what means what.  So when I teach I use ENGLISH.  I use words like,  punch, push, explosive strike, moving others via mind control, pushing with energy (and my energy I don't mean momentum, muscular strength, emotions, etc, to me energy is energy, like an electrical force) explosive non contact strike with energy, and so on.  We are speaking English here, not Chinese, and I suspect a lot of people who use a lot of Chinese words are trying to be like Owl in the Tao of Pooh.  That is not happening here, it's just an observation from other threads.

So let's try to communicate with English.

Now, getting back to your question, pushing may fall under the broader definition of fajin, but it's just pushing, nothing special and no chi is needed although someone with a lot of chi will also release some if their training has trained their body to release chi with these certain movements, whether this chi also contributes to the actual push depends on various factors  =)

Anther thing about that video is that when the pusher is pushing on the pushee's arms and they go flying back it is because the pushee is cooperating to the full extent and is actually pushing himself back.  When the pusher is pushing against the pushee's body then that is a plain old push.  I can post a video explaining this if you wish.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Hancock said:

An by internal development from your words I think i mean nei kung. I'm looking to develop my chi for personal an spiritual and daily usage. I always seemed to have a reserve of strength until I had sex with this one woman. My life fell apart an my strength just disappeared, but her life got loads better.

A shaman friend said she stole a large part of my vitality an the only way to get better was to develop. He gave me notes, but had to go an he never returned. So there were other reasons too but that's kind of what I'm after, restoring an going beyond where I was.

You were hit hard by an energy vampire and some of these can establish psychic links to keep draining your energy, they are disgusting people.

Getting your energy and power back.  The all around best and safest way to cultivate chi power is by doing zhan zhuang with the lower stances, but it's tough to keep with it on your own.  Other than that I think a good tai chi, like Chen tai chi with it's low stances, and learned from a master or adept rather than at the YMCA for example, will give you what you are looking for.

With chi kung it can be tough because there is a lot of what I call wimpy chi kung out there.  There is also medical chi kung, which only addresses some specific problems and is not for overall cultivation.  Then there is nei kung, and you have to watch out for that.  The reason is that real nei kung systems are very rare and require some years of learning and practicing a lot.  Since the term nei kung has become the latest fad in cultivation it has attracted a lot of power hungry individuals and teachers who are unethical.

You can see what I mean by real nei kung here https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/44712-the-ten-thousand-ways-of-nei-kung/    The thing to note,is that when people teach only a few exercises out of a nei kung systme then it is no longer nei kung, it is chi kung.

I was lucky because when I started with my teacher the term nei kung was unknown,and even chi kung was almost unknown in the West.  I had no interest in cultivating power for special abilities and still don't.  I had absolutely no idea what I was getting in to and did not believe that special abilities were possible.   My teacher was one of the hidden masters who avoided publicity and who taught for a low monthly sum of $60.  After two years he said we no longer needed to pay but I continued paying by giving him a years worth once a year.  The public nei kung figures are really into money and some are extremely greedy.  This is why I recommend a good Chen tai chi regimen for you.  Otherwise maybe you can find on of the humble hidden masters, and one way to meet them is by being a good student of and being referred by a tai chi master :)

Once a psychic told me that my system could be very lucrative, and this was before I started in it, but I just never got interested in wealth, nor charging a lot for anything, nor do I want publicity, I like being a hermit.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 3

I'm into notoriety or flashiness. I tend to get healed by others a lot an part of the reason im studying this an beginning practice is to develop my own capabilities. So thank you so far.

Also I heard that before too that her being an energy vampire. I'm very interested in putting to use whAt you're discussing here an I'm looking further into it.

As for pushing, in one of those I saw what looked like a wall of whitish go from the guys body to the person who flew back. Interesting stuff.

Thanks for your help Starjumper, it's very much appreciated.

You mentioned pushing someone with energy, is that taichi or cultivation.

Someone tried that with me an I somehow absorbed it, an I don't know why. I asked if they use energy an tried to push me, they told me what they were doing. I asked because while standing near him talking, each time I felt like it wAs a temporary pressure that then merged with me. 

The guy said not only couldn't be get me to shut up but I was immovable too, we joked an became friends for a while. We never figured out why it didn't work on me. So if you can speak to it that'd be cool to understand what potential happened.

Edited by Hancock

Some more Montaigue stuff. :) I find their explanations of fajin to be the most practically useful ones that are publicly accessible.

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 1

The one-inch punch is commonly known as 'chun-jin', the one inch jin. "Jin" is not the monopoly of neijia martial arts, it is an important factor in executing a strike in any traditional CMA. However for a neijia form , for the expression of jin is explosive as contrasted with the uniformly softness of the movements. In the external arts, it is not necessary to relax and then gather the force for the strike, yet it is 'jin' nevertheless when the technique is well taught and execution is perfect. There is a difference between brute (or muscle)strength and 'jin'. Jin, is difficult to be taught with words, the instructor has to show it and the student, watch to learn and practise that subtleness in gathering the energy and transmit it to the fist or kick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sudhamma said:

The one-inch punch is commonly known as 'chun-jin', the one inch jin. "Jin" is not the monopoly of neijia martial arts, it is an important factor in executing a strike in any traditional CMA. However for a neijia form , for the expression of jin is explosive as contrasted with the uniformly softness of the movements. In the external arts, it is not necessary to relax and then gather the force for the strike, yet it is 'jin' nevertheless when the technique is well taught and execution is perfect. There is a difference between brute (or muscle)strength and 'jin'. Jin, is difficult to be taught with words, the instructor has to show it and the student, watch to learn and practise that subtleness in gathering the energy and transmit it to the fist or kick.

I agree with you that external arts are not necessarily a completely different animal from internal arts. And actually, an advanced practitioner of the latter doesn't need to first relax and gather energy either. This is a way of practising, but eventually it will be possible to deliver a relaxed and properly energized strike instantaneously.

• Like 3