oak

Yijing for Idiots

Well aware of the dedication and energy required in studying sacred literatute I want to ask if someone can point me out to some source of summarized information about the inerant phylosophy of the book. Something that would help me understand how Yijing students see the universe and behave according to the teachings of the book in daily life.

• Like 2

I have very recently started looking at the Yijing again. I'd be interested in some pointers as well. :) 

Edited by morning dew
  • Like 1

start with a beginner book like i ching by antonia an bill beatle

• Like 1

On 10/8/2017 at 0:38 AM, Lost in Translation said:

I think the best way to learn about i-ching is to ask it yourself. Grab three coins, pen and paper and give it a go! 😎

I agree

This is the best way to study.. look at multiple translations as well.

Then Meditate 

• Like 2

As a bumbling newbie, I've actually found Alfred Huang's The complete I Ching the most useful so far out of all the various versions I've looked at.

Edited by morning dew
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, morning dew said:

As a bumbling newbie, I've actually found Alfred Huang's The complete I Ching the most useful so far out of all the various versions I've looked at.

:) that one i like too, and i like how he included the ideograms. I liked hearing his personal story at the begining too.

The one i reach for first is always the taoist i ching by yiming and cleary, but ill read from a few others too. A suggestion i found helpful in that translation is when you are begining to study the trigrams first and then look at one hexagram each day and just ponder it all day to let it soak in. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Seatle185 said:

:) that one i like too, and i like how he included the ideograms. I liked hearing his personal story at the begining too.

The one i reach for first is always the taoist i ching by yiming and cleary, but ill read from a few others too. A suggestion i found helpful in that translation is when you are begining to study the trigrams first and then look at one hexagram each day and just ponder it all day to let it soak in. 

Yeah, Taoist I Ching is good, but I found it a bit tough going. I'm going to come back to it once I've got to grips with The Complete I Ching. I suspect Taoist I Ching is going to be a more helpful version from all the reviews I've read and the bits I could grasp of it. :) 

Edited by morning dew
  • Like 2