Sublimation

Taiji Master fighting MMA guy

13 hours ago, aden said:

Well hopefully my joints and flexibility will continue (or progress) to become stronger, regardless of age - as I train internal work. It's a wild dream, but looking at certain old and experienced masters moving with impeccable agility and grace (that I can only dream of) really motivates me.

Then don't have motorcycle crashes and smash your pelvis       ;) 

13 hours ago, aden said:

And definitely agree with the second paragraph. I did hear that "leg deflections" - blocking and deflecting attacks with leg work - was an integral art in Northern long arm styles, which has almost died out today. But more the reason to acquire and train that valuable skill. And "sticky feet" sounds very interesting.

Have a go .   Get into a good 'crane stance', extend legs and cross them with your partner at the shins, start a circular motion and feel for chances, gaps etc  through the legs, enter, slide defect and kick in, when you can, the other will try to do the same to your strikes .  Good balance exercise too .

13 hours ago, aden said:

I also think the emphasis on skills such as "leg deflections" or "sticky feet" is the reason why Northern long arm styles stress certain elements so much, such as crane stance variations and crescent kicks. (these movements were definitely used with such skills in mind).

Does their  ' crane stance variation' have ;

stand on one leg, the other is raised , bent at the knee with the foot held behind the  back of the standing leg at the back of the knee ? 

Image result for chinto  kata

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nungali said:

Does their  ' crane stance variation' have ;

stand on one leg, the other is raised , bent at the knee with the foot held behind the  back of the standing leg at the back of the knee ? 

Image result for chinto  kata

I have not yet learned that variation of the crane stance personally, but I have seen a very similar version of it. (almost like a "flicking" kick towards the back.). There's also the regular crane stance with the shin held perpendicular to the floor, as well as the one with the shin held in a 45 degree angle.

I will make sure to try out the sticky feet exercise. 

P.S. That is the reason why I will also strive to learn both martial and medical aspects of internal work. They seem to complement each other very well IMO.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, aden said:

I have not yet learned that variation of the crane stance personally, but I have seen a very similar version of it. (almost like a "flicking" kick towards the back.). There's also the regular crane stance with the shin held perpendicular to the floor, as well as the one with the shin held in a 45 degree angle.

I will make sure to try out the sticky feet exercise. 

P.S. That is the reason why I will also strive to learn both martial and medical aspects of internal work. They seem to complement each other very well IMO.

Yeah .... I was  wondering if Chinese forms had it ,  the Okinawan form where it is mostly used is said to have come from China , or a Chinese pirate .   Why hook the toes and foot behind the other leg  ?  :unsure:

2 hours ago, Nungali said:

Yeah .... I was  wondering if Chinese forms had it ,  the Okinawan form where it is mostly used is said to have come from China , or a Chinese pirate .   Why hook the toes and foot behind the other leg  ?  :unsure:

The movement could be used for anything really. 

It could be used for covering the flank, i.e. deflecting or "counter striking" attacks directed towards the side/back of the legs or the groin - whether they be kicks or hand techniques. Or instead, it could be used as a form of an attack or a follow through.

Here is one example that illustrates the usage of the movement pretty well, from 2:58 to 3:30.

• Like 2

Hmmmm ... maybe.   In karate it is usually   done with a  downward blocking movement with the lead arm  ( that goes no where near the lower body )  ...  immediately followed by a front kick with the raised leg (from behind the other leg )  .    :huh:

I have been playing with the  ' fighting from higher ground' idea . Haven't yet found a different reasonable application .

Again ...  it will work if you know how to set it up , and how it is supposed to work in a dynamic ' free for all ' . Cross train ! 

Constantly working technique only  within the same style , movement and reactions  can make an art 'unrealistic' .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

It's hard to defend against something you have no idea is coming.

That would seem obvious ... yet so many seem awed by the 'super amazing  and awesome' techniques of the little understood  but infamous  ....     'demonstration'  . 

;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marblehead said:

I think it is called "Watch The Fuck Out" performed by The Tai Chi Warriors.

?

lol

Just now, cold said:

?

lol

In truth, I have no idea who performed the music.  I didn't recognize it at all.  It must not be DooWop music.  I would have recognized that.

• Like 1

Yes, for some strange reason  they were not playing 'Eye of the Tiger '    :D 

I swear ... if I see one more MA vid with Eye of the Tiger  playing !     :angry:

Now, for a little interlude ...... Here is some nice music and visuals

The fight streamed live, and overnight Xu’s social media account exploded.  He brought in money doing Q&A sessions and streaming interviews.  In video rants filled with profanity, he declared traditional martial arts teachers liars and thieves, calling out many by name, including Chen Zhenglei, Chen Xiaowang, and Chinese kickboxer Yi Long.  

However, things quickly went downhill for Xu.  While many netizens agreed with him, others felt it was all a publicity stunt.  Xu’s words were unpopular in part because of the current sociopolitical climate in China.  Over the last hundred years, China has faced exploitation and humiliation at the hands of Western nations, civil war, Communist revolution, and self-imposed isolation.  China re-emerged onto the world scene in the 1980s.  Fueled by the destruction of our natural resources, China has ridden the wave of globalization and technological advancement to reach to a standard of living previously impossible.  With full bellies and comfortable lives, many have begun the soul-searching process of discovering what is means to be Chinese.  Part of this growing nationalism is a renewed interest in traditional art forms.  

Many called Xu a traitor for attacking a traditional Chinese style.  Some even suggested he was working for a foreign country to cause unrest.  One Chinese multi-millionaire offered a 10 million RMB ($1.45m) prize to anyone who could use tai chi to defeat Xu.  A video that surfaced online showed him being harassed on the street.  When the police came, even they taunted him, saying he should be able to protect himself.  Xu soon appeared crying, saying he had lost sponsorship, and that his businesses had been forced to close.  As I write this, his social media accounts have been blocked, and he has gone into hiding.

It took Xu only 10 seconds to destroy a tai chi master, and only 10 days to destroy his own life.

• Like 2

Degrading others in order promote one's self almost always fails.  People aren't as stupid as some think they are.

• Like 3

As I see it, martial arts began with violence.  Throughout history, in times of chaos and war, people have needed to protect themselves and their loved ones.  Those with skill and experience taught others.  Set training drills and forms were used as teaching tools.  But over time, warfare evolved beyond just hand to hand combat.  As the need for sparring and applications shrank, the role of forms grew.  In modern times, many martial arts students have technique (having learned through forms) but do not have experience fighting.  MMA is an exception, as its #1 goal is to train good fighters.

Fighting requires speed, force, and knowing how to take a hit.  Sure, tai chi contains techniques that can be used in a fight.  But, there is no way around it…the only way to learn how to fight is by fighting.  Practicing tai chi forms alone will not teach students to fight.

So, if we do not practice tai chi in order to fight, why do we practice tai chi?  

Tai Chi is more than a martial art, it is the synthesis of the best parts of Chinese culture.  It is what happens when martial arts meet qigong and Chinese philosophy head on.  Tai chi develops strength, balance, coordination, focus, and stillness of heart and mind.  Understanding the principles of yin and yang will benefit all aspects of your life, from business to interpersonal relationships.  Tai chi is a life art, and is an art you can practice for a lifetime.  Tai Chi and MMA have a very different focus.   When we practice tai chi, we are fighting weakness, uncertainty, instability, insecurity, and stress.  

What can help us advance our art is not to compare it another art with a different focus.  The goal of each style is different, and each is attaining its goals.  It is more valuable to understand the nature of your art, and seek the wisdom found there.

• Like 3