Sign in to follow this  
Ocean

Nausea

Hello friends,

I'm a Yoga teacher, and lately I've been experiencing intense nausea and dizziness doing my Yang Yoga practices...

The only thing I can relate it to is spiritual development.  I've had something of a quantom leap forward in the last few months, and I'm still moving quickly.  I no longer feel blocked, but I feel somehow that the nausea is connected to an energy blockage in this area.

Are there any perspectives on this from Taoism?

Thank yoU!

Q1: When you feel nauseous, does the energy feels "hot and heavy" and starts around your heart area and when you are nauseous even if you try to relieve there is nothing there?  If not, what exactly does it feel like and where does it originate? How long does nausea last? Can you stand/function when you get "hit" with it?

Q2: Do you feel nauseous irregardless of asana you are doing or does it come ( and go) only during certain asana? If yes, please share which one.

Q3: Just to exclude coffee/food/etc before the practice, can you confirm you do not eat/drink/smoke anything that could cause this reaction?

meow

p.s. As a yoga teacher I assume you got "yoga high" few times at least. Can you confirm you are NOT getting that state after the nausea ( and possible heat) is gone?

Edited by qicat
  • Like 1

Hey, thank you for your reply Qicat!

I don't think a certain pose is triggering it, and it's unlikely that it's food.  The first time it happened was 10 days ago.  We were doing a "water" practice, relating to the groin.  I hadnt eaten anything or even had a coffee.  It was very strong, and I started nauseas and got a splitting headache.  Neither of those things have happpend to me before... I had to sit out a few poses but mostly muscled through.

It's happened a few times since then, and I've just skipped a few poses.  Today was the worst, and I had to sit out a lot of the practice.

I feel it in my gut.  It feels very heavy and pukey, ha.  Today it went away after the practice but then it came back a few hours late, and I just threw up a tiny bit.

Definitely not Yoga high,,!

Can you post a link to the asana description please? Seems you are triggering liver/galbladder or spleen/stomach meridian  and energy is trying to clear. You mention Yang Yoga, but I cannot find anything useful online to tell you which one you are triggering. It is interesting you do not mention heart, but gut level. 

yinYang.jpg

Edited by qicat
  • Like 1

And one more thing

Q5: Was there any NEW person in the class in the past 10 days? 

• Like 1

Go to acupuncturist and ask to check for damp-heat, most likely gallbladder/stomach issues ( based on nausea, headache and "Yang Yoga" you mentioned). 

Good luck!

P.S. So far this is the match: Internal Acute Damp-Heat at Qi Level. 

Classification.jpg

Yang isnt a particular branch of Yoga; it's just how we describe a practice that is more fast and furious :)  (Yin is a branch though; as is Yin-Yang.  Just to confuse people :-) )

Each time I've practiced in teh last 10 days it's been with completely new people and a new teacher.

When I've gone for acupunture in the past I've been told that I have deficient heat?  Is that the same as damp hear? 

I also have an overactive liver, a deficient spleen, and deficient chi.  I always struggle with digestive issues.

I also have an overactive liver, a deficient spleen, and deficient chi.  I always struggle with digestive issues.

The only thing I can relate it to is spiritual development.  I've had something of a quantom leap forward in the last few months, and I'm still moving quickly.  I no longer feel blocked, but I feel somehow that the nausea is connected to an energy blockage in this area.

well...

than it's not "spiritual", but physical level energy stuff you need to clear. Perhaps ask at the studio for good TCM doctor and they might help you with this? 

p.s. Until you clear physical level it is VERY unlikely you will SAFELY surf "spiritual" stuff. Just sayin...

Edited by qicat

Haha, true.  But everything is spiritual ultimately :)

What I mean is I've had a leap and it feels like stuff I need to release is coming up.  Not saying I'm enlightened.

I cant really handle acuptuncture to be honest.  I'm highly sensitive and the last treatment I got took me ten days to recover from.

THis is probably relevant - I mostly follow a Shamanic path, and I do Ayahasuca ceremonies.  I've never "purged" at a ceremony, which is highly unusual...

THis is probably relevant - I mostly follow a Shamanic path, and I do Ayahasuca ceremonies.  I've never "purged" at a ceremony, which is highly unusual...

Did it start after one of your Ayahasuca ceremonies? Or how long has it been since the last one?

I think it's been about three months since the last ceremony... The nausea is only happening since last week.

• Like 1

I cant really handle acuptuncture to be honest.  I'm highly sensitive and the last treatment I got took me ten days to recover from.

find somebody in your area who does this: https://www.google.com/search?q=medical+qigong+doctor&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS520US520&oq=medical+qigong+doctor&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60.4142j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

as an alternative to acupuncture...

So.... how friendly are you with plant spirits?... do you garden?... do you respect Mother Nature?... just sayin.... What do you mean by "do"? Do you just drink stuff or do you actually DO stuff? How many have you had so far? If that's what you think it is, than I would probably take a vacation days asap as perhaps your overdue "purging" is about to come...

Edited by qicat

find somebody in your area who does this: https://www.google.com/search?q=medical+qigong+doctor&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS520US520&oq=medical+qigong+doctor&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60.4142j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

as an alternative to acupuncture...

So.... how friendly are you with plant spirits?... do you garden?... do you respect Mother Nature?... just sayin.... What do you mean by "do"? Do you just drink stuff or do you actually DO stuff? How many have you had so far? If that's what you think it is, than I would probably take a vacation days asap as perhaps your overdue "purging" is about to come...

Oh, medical Qigong looks amazing!  Thanks for the tip.

Yes, I talk to the trees (and they talk back now - part of the recent spiritual upgrade).  I've done six ceremonies... And actually, I'm about to go to Peru to do three more, ha :)  I never felt before that I needed to purge, but right now that feels like exactly what I need...

Hello, Ocean!

If you are feeling nausea after practice (I mean NOT after eating) then there is smth that makes you unbalanced. This can be a result of wrong qi circulation, some bad qi or tensions in the body in the areas close to stomach.

Correct practice and spiritual development will never lead to such results, because it will not bring harm in any case.

Rgrds, Ilya

• Like 1

Just the simplest of advice here.

If you've been moving forward quickly, then take some time to.. digest the new level and energy.  To me that means slow down, do less, shorten the practice.  More mint tea, less vigorous yoga.  For a while at least, a few weeks, then build back up. 

Too often we force things in a linear manner, when real cycles are seasonal.  A time to build, a time consolidate, rest then build again. 

• Like 2

Just the simplest of advice here.

If you've been moving forward quickly, then take some time to.. digest the new level and energy.  To me that means slow down, do less, shorten the practice.  More mint tea, less vigorous yoga.  For a while at least, a few weeks, then build back up. 

Too often we force things in a linear manner, when real cycles are seasonal.  A time to build, a time consolidate, rest then build again. 

Hi Thelerner,

I really love this advice, and I think you're completely right.  I probably need to take a step back, smell the roses, and enjoy where I am right now.  Cos' it's pretty good!

It's bizarre, because even though life is great, even the slightest stretch of the heart area makes me feel like I'm about to burst into tears.  Consolidation and slowing down is defintely good advice... I'm sure clarity will stem from it.  Thank you!

An open heart is a beautiful and vulnerable thing. 

i tend to keep mine in a clam shell :mellow:

thus immune to heart ache but

not experiencing all of life.

• Like 1

I may have missed this, Ocean, but where do you live? (Geographically speaking)

Also, have any Bums offered to help you with some sort of remote healing?

• Like 1

Thelerner, that post brought a little tear to my eye.  Thanks again.  That's exactly what the "spiritual upgrade" has been - i opened my heart. It's intense.... but it also feels like the safest place in the entire cosmos.  I thought I was protecting myself by keeping it closed, but actually the closed heart is what hurts us...

Hey Brian, I'm in London.  Jeff actually PMed me and helped out with some remote healing.  It's really nice that's a thing you do for each other!

Hi everyone,

I took a bit of time out and the answer came :)

Basically I had this "spiritual leap" because I spent quite a few months solely working on grounding and rooting.  It rippled up to the higher aspects of the body - spiritual awareness, open-heartedness etc.  Basically the nausea etc was a big message from my body that I need to return to lower parts of the body, cos in order to grow further these need to be developed more.

Change is cyclical, as a wise man said :)

I've started doing the macro-cosmic orbit but am just focusing on teh lower part of the body - beginning and closing teh orbit at the LDT.

And also just some really foundational exercises that target the glutus maximus and the lower abs.  Seems to be helping.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Edited by Ocean
  • Like 1

Hi again,

Go see a Chinese medicine herbalist to purge heat from the GB and Lung, rising Liver Yang and also unblock the intestines and strengthen the Stomach which in turn will strengthen your Lung. A weak Earth will produce a sick child (Metal/Lung)--> the reason for your sudden tears/crying. But deep down is a restless Heart that needs to be sedated which will also address your insomnia (and frequent dreaming of nightmares if any) as this causes the Hun (spirit of the Wood/Liver) to wonder at night instead of being settled down.

The Heart is at the root of all health problems. Buddhism goes even further bypassing the body, energy, yin-yang and anything else by looking at the Mind and its defilements (lust, craving, sensual desire, anger, greed, ignorance, etc.) as the root of all suffering and disease.

Good luck! :)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

Hi again,

Go see a Chinese medicine herbalist to purge heat from the GB and Lung, rising Liver Yang and also unblock the intestines and strengthen the Stomach which in turn will strengthen your Lung. A weak Earth will produce a sick child (Metal/Lung)--> the reason for your sudden tears/crying. But deep down is a restless Heart that needs to be sedated which will also address your insomnia (and frequent dreaming of nightmares if any) as this causes the Hun (spirit of the Wood/Liver) to wonder at night instead of being settled down.

The Heart is at the root of all health problems. Buddhism goes even further bypassing the body, energy, yin-yang and anything else by looking at the Mind and its defilements (lust, craving, sensual desire, anger, greed, ignorance, etc.) as the root of all suffering and disease.

Good luck! :)

That is an incredibly accurate diagnosis Gerard... Thank you!

Sign in to follow this